Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Or Seth, either one
3,270 Posts
Hope they're under warranty. Looks like a casting flaw to me. Might be something else, but that's my best guess from what I'm seeing.

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
3rd pic. the big hollow void next to the stud hole??? still bouncing that of the inside of my head.. :confused: I thought it was just a casting void..
It's where the stud hole goes into the intake port. They all do that to some extent. It's just that other heads don't rely on the roof of the port to take all that load. Plus, it's cheap aluminum. Add in some core shift and you get what you have. The BIG hole is just the roof of the port missing. You can sort of see it on the piece still attached to the stud. You can also see how thin things are right there.

·
Can't re-Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's where the stud hole goes into the intake port. They all do that to some extent. It's just that other heads don't rely on the roof of the port to take all that load. Plus, it's cheap aluminum. Add in some core shift and you get what you have. The BIG hole is just the roof of the port missing. You can sort of see it on the piece still attached to the stud. You can also see how thin things are right there.
Oh yeah Duhh... :duh:

Just got a text from him. He said he called pro-crap, and they said send them some pics, it might be under warranty...

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
With Procomps, one of 2 things are going to happen if the cam is agressive enough to require pretty stout springs. You either pull the stud, or the boss lets go. Bad rocker geometry will tear a head up as well. Now you know why better heads have gusseting on the stud mounts, or the stud mount platform covers a larger area.

Also, if the aluminum is not virgin 356 aluminum you have no why of knowing what the alloy is. You can't cast heads, block or forge pistons from recycled aluminum. Anybody doubt the aluminum in Procrap heads isn't recycled junk? And the "heat treat" is a joke.

With Brodix RaceRite, Edelbrock E Street and /trickflow heads selling for the price they are getting, there is no excuse for buying this crap. But some people will never learn.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
www.highflowdynamics.com
1,161 Posts
Any guesses as to what happened?

View attachment 168947
Bad rocker geometry will tear a head up as well.
Is it just the photo or does the underside of the rocker arm seem to have been riding on the lower radius of the rocker stud base? This could be just a clearance issue in the parts combination but more often than not it's a sign of poor valve train geometry as set up. Poor geometry will indeed side-load a rocker stud to hugely unnecessary forces working against the stud boss in the head; drag of the rocker against the stud isn't going to make things any better.

LO

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Still shouldn't have broken the stud boss like it did. It's a piss poor design.
Agreed, the intake stud boss on Procrap heads is pitiful. You can see the thickness of the port roof and there is no additional means to tie the stud pad into the head. Even with perfect geometry, they won't take much spring pressure or a very agressive lobe. Terrible design.
But if the geometry is wrong, or in a bind, something is going to give. If not the head, then the stud or the rocker.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Agreed, the intake stud boss on Procrap heads is pitiful. You can see the thickness of the port roof and there is no additional means to tie the stud pad into the head. Even with perfect geometry, they won't take much spring pressure or a very agressive lobe. Terrible design.
But if the geometry is wrong, or in a bind, something is going to give. If not the head, then the stud or the rocker.
that head looks like a piece of crap.I'll never buy any for myself or any of my customers.The old story comes into play you get what you pay for.most of the time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
A Stud Girdle might have helped.... but with this casting being so thin, I think it was doomed from the start.

But I always run the longer stud on the exh. Being that the boss is taller. But since it broke a intake boss.. I HAVE NO ANSWERS!!

·
1,814 Posts

·
1,814 Posts
wow, i guessed right! i actually have no experience in this department but i know if it breaks like that its probalby made in china. warrantee, shit.... i would keep one & use it as the front anchor for the boat. give one as a gift to a friend ( for an anchor):D . they could double as fishing pole holders:D

·
Can't re-Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is it just the photo or does the underside of the rocker arm seem to have been riding on the lower radius of the rocker stud base? This could be just a clearance issue in the parts combination but more often than not it's a sign of poor valve train geometry as set up. Poor geometry will indeed side-load a rocker stud to hugely unnecessary forces working against the stud boss in the head; drag of the rocker against the stud isn't going to make things any better.

LO
A little story

I had to tow this guy down from the above the sand bar at Havasu to Crazy Horse early last year. He broke a rocker stud, #6 exhaust if I remember correctly. Anyways, he gets it back to the place he was staying, and calls me to come look at it after he took the valve cover off. What I saw (and I'm no engine builder) was scary even for me. Pushrods were so short, that the tapered ends were going below the guideplates, and the rocker arms were moving across the top of the valves about 1/2".. or so it seemed. And yes the Rocker arms looked to be very low on the stud, but it was hard to really tell if they were hitting.

He got another stud and put it back together. He later got longer pushrods and fixed the issue, But I assume the damage was done then. He had ran the Boat for about a year like that...

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts