Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my buddy picked up his first jet boat recently and we've got a few rookie questions. A few buddies and myself got together and thrashed on it for a weekend and got it on the water. Now we just need to fine tune it and get it right. One of our buddies knows his way around a jet boat so he guided us through getting it ready but he lives 5 hours away and it can be hard getting advice over the phone.

The boat is a Sabrejet with an olds motor and a Berkeley pump that he picked up for pretty cheap on CL. We had to put the intake and new carb on it to fire it for the first time. It fired right up and sounded decent. After we ran it we noticed it was leaking around the seal that seals the pump to the transom. I also noticed some smoking coming through the valve cover breathers and, what I believed to be excessive smoking from the through-transom exhaust.

My questions: What needs to happen for us to replace the transom/pump seal? Full pump removal? And what would cause smoking through the valve cover breathers? I was leaning towards valve seals.

IMG_2973.jpg IMG_2842.jpg IMG_2961.jpg

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
My questions: What needs to happen for us to replace the transom/pump seal? Full pump removal? And what would cause smoking through the valve cover breathers? I was leaning towards valve seals.
Transom adaptor around the jet bowl simply prys off(after fastener removal) to reseal without actually removing the jet, smoke from the crankcase on an Olds is likley blow by , suggest a wet/dry compression test and cylinder leakdown test

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, I was hoping to avoid full removal of the jet. What does it take to swap a Chevy or Ford in place of that Olds motor? Are the motor mounts similair?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
screw removing the transom adapter. Does any of your friends know how to use a caulking gun and silicone? Cut/scrape away any existing sealant if present, clean surfaces with acetone and caulk the edge of T.A adapter to transom and the joint between the bowl and adapter and go play. Over the winter you can go back and address all the specific issues if you like it and want to put time and money in it to make it a dream boat. Changing motor mfg means a re-rig as nothing matches up. have fun and lett'r rip.... Tell porky to get off the boat. Thank gawd he is fully clothed, that's just wrong. lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, a caulking gun and silicone shouldnt be an issue. I think I can handle that part. This is just our first time into a boat, really, and wanted a bit of advice. Ive learned over the years and past mistakes that sometimes its best to ask a little guidance before tearing into something and breaking stuff.

Van is def not for sale and if it is I get first dibs!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts