Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Aquacraft
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I decided to just replace my bunks with wood instead of the ultimate bunk boards, after reading the instructions id have to weld some supports to the trailer and im just not in the mood for that,,,so I got some good redwood to use (I had used pressure treated last time and it seems like the wood just cracked a lot) and last time I used indoor/outdoor cARPET FROM home depot and its seems to have held up but it is kinda rough and has grooves in it so I started looking at actual bunk carpet and the stuff looks way thin? do you guys just use lowes or home depot carpet ? or where do you get good quality bunk carpet? I found a site called boat buys? that sales some rubber backed carpet that seems pretty good or should I just use the same home depot carpet? thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bunk carpet

Use bunk carpet.It is thick enough to not need padding behind it and sheds water when you pull out so your wood is not exposed to water for long periods while the carpet is drying.Also you might want to coat your new wood with penetrating epoxy to seal out the water.
Company I buy from is Jamestown Distributors in R.I..SEACHOICE is a good brand of carpet and I like C.P.E.S.of MAS as a sealer.
MAS can be had at Jamestown but I believe you will have to get the C.P.E.S. from mfg..Just google for info on both.

·
Aquacraft
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mouzer! I used some Home Depot indoor/outdoor carpet last time and it was pretty thick and blue it still looks good thought about using the same stuff but wasn’t sure about actual bunk carpet , since iv never bought or used it , I always just got indoor/outdoor carpet wasn’t sure if there was really a difference or not .

·
Aquacraft
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bunk carpet

No to the rubber back.It is thick enough without it.If too thick it holds water longer.
Thompsons water seal is not permanent.Epoxy (MAS) or the CPES is.
Depends on how much you launch.If you don't use the boat much the Home depot stuff with the Thompson's is okay.
Also if $ are a factor the HD/Thompsons is a lot cheaper.
Get what you pay for.

·
Aquacraft
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!! iv been researching and it seems like a lot of places say polyester is better than polypropylene, west marine sales polyester and seachoice is polyester and ce smith,, but there are a lot that are polypropylene and the more I read the more it sounds like they are almost the same im getting way to OCD about this !, wish they still had my old carpet at home depot,,,,the local fabric store carries olefin which is like polypropylene maybe cheaper and they want $130.00 !!! for the amount I need ,,,,also the boat gets used only about 4 times a year so not much at all. It looks like polyester is what you want but I could be wrong who knows now,,,,,but thanks ill probably get one of the polyester ones I mentioned ,, got called to go to work so I cant keep feeding my OCD about this anymore :grin:

·
Late Start-er
828 Posts
Got my new bunk carpet from boatcarpetsales on ebay in a 1x50 precut rollNice stuffI put a couple coats of resin on the wood and used stainless staples

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can trust this CE Smith carpets for the boat trailer bunk to give you your money’s worth and offer you a better boating experience. It is made out of 100% PET polyester, which makes its fabric breathable. Therefore, the carpet can quickly dry even after loading and launching your boat. Worrying about nasty mildew and mold on your bunk boards becomes a thing of the past.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts