Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished Member
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of building my first blown alcohol motor for our 8 second bracket boat. The blower combo came of a similar application to ours; a 555 BBC with a 8-71 blower. Although the manifold has space for one, it doesn't have a burst panel or other pressure relief. The guy I got the stuff from said he got away without one, but thought it best I add one. So, is a burst panel necessary. I've also seen the spring loaded pressure relief style as well. Is one style preferable over another.
Thanks

·
adjones419
1,064 Posts
I would definitely install a burst panel, David. It's cheap peace-of-mind in case the blower backfires. Some guys will tell you it's overkill unless you're running Top Alcohol, but I'd rather spend a hundred bucks or so and save my $2k blower. I think the blower companies charge $150-$200 to machine the intakes for the burst panels. We did our own machining, so we only have the cost of the cage, the hardware, and the panel invested in our setup.

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
David ... go with the burst panel style ... not the spring type. Spring type is more of an old school street application, burst panels are much more reliable and will go when they are supposed to.

Brian

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
got a question for you guys while this subject is up. i'm building 2 blow thru turbo deals over the winter, 1 twin turbo 496, 1 big single turbo 383. i've been thinking bout burst panels, but i was wondering if the old spring type could be put on the single plate intake. both motors will see 25psi, both will be intercooled alot, but backfires happen. you guys think the lil spring type would do? most guys just blow to shit their lil carb bonnetts that cost 200bucks:)sphss i was thinking there's a better way:D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Turbo guys run BOV'S(blow off valves) no need for a burst pannel. A single 50mm BOV will be just fine for both applications.

Travis

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
most guys just blow to shit their lil carb bonnetts that cost 200bucks:)sphss i was thinking there's a better way:D
I think your talking about the fab ones not the cast ones, If you explode one of those cast ones I will shake your hand lol

I do agree with you on the fab ones..... always seem to blow apart at the weld...... I was looking at one a while ago and seems that they were just butted together and welded aka melted together to look pretty instead of leaving a small gap between the pieces and then doing a solid weld.

my .02
Paul

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Turbo guys run BOV'S(blow off valves) no need for a burst pannel. A single 50mm BOV will be just fine for both applications.

Travis
yeah, i'm with ya on the bov, but what about under the carb? something to protect intake gaskets;)

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I think your talking about the fab ones not the cast ones, If you explode one of those cast ones I will shake your hand lol

I do agree with you on the fab ones..... always seem to blow apart at the weld...... I was looking at one a while ago and seems that they were just butted together and welded aka melted together to look pretty instead of leaving a small gap between the pieces and then doing a solid weld.

my .02
Paul
ev hat is 3 pieces, the guy i got my turbo from has 1 sitting in his shop, sent me pics, its ugly:)sphss

·
Amber Racing Services
4,339 Posts
I've always been curious why a blower could go kaboom? Too lean?? To much timing? What is blower backfire and what causes it? Sorry for the tj.
It's usually a lean out condition in combination with the advanced timing.

If it goes too lean ... boom.

·
Distinguished Member
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would definitely install a burst panel, David. It's cheap peace-of-mind in case the blower backfires. Some guys will tell you it's overkill unless you're running Top Alcohol, but I'd rather spend a hundred bucks or so and save my $2k blower. I think the blower companies charge $150-$200 to machine the intakes for the burst panels. We did our own machining, so we only have the cost of the cage, the hardware, and the panel invested in our setup.
Thanks Adam, kinda what I thought. We can do the machining ourselves so that's not a deal. Saw your pic in one of the drag rags. Kinda fun to fly them like that!! .

David ... go with the burst panel style ... not the spring type. Spring type is more of an old school street application, burst panels are much more reliable and will go when they are supposed to.

Brian
Yea, gonna call Good Vibrations and pick up some misc stuff. Will throw the burst panel and hardware on the list.

.....If it goes too lean ... boom.
We've done the "boom" thing. done with that

Thanks all

·
adjones419
1,064 Posts
Thanks Adam, kinda what I thought. We can do the machining ourselves so that's not a deal. Saw your pic in one of the drag rags. Kinda fun to fly them like that!! .

Yea, gonna call Good Vibrations and pick up some misc stuff. Will throw the burst panel and hardware on the list.
That was at our hometown race in Litchfield, so I had to give a good show for the friends and family. I also have to get it out of my system, because I can't be driving like that with the blown piece!

The guys at Good Vibrations will take care of you. When I was getting my blower setup and fuel system together, I had to place a couple of orders. The little things add up, but it will be well worth it in the end!

·
Distinguished Member
5,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Back years ago when I ran a roots air heater I got the whole setup from Hampton. The competition manifold did not come with a burst panel or a spring loaded popoff plate. I questioned Don about it and he stated that by the time the valve lifted or the burst panel let go the damage is already done.

Blow off valves for turbos are more made to release excess boost pressure when closing the throttle after a hard run. When the throttle closes there is no where for the air to go so the popoff vents it.

·
"It's HONDO, honey"
1,724 Posts
That was at our hometown race in Litchfield, so I had to give a good show for the friends and family. I also have to get it out of my system, because I can't be driving like that with the blown piece!

The guys at Good Vibrations will take care of you. When I was getting my blower setup and fuel system together, I had to place a couple of orders. The little things add up, but it will be well worth it in the end!
Randy down there is a good guy :)devil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts