Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to upgrade our extinct way of invoicing and accounting!

What (out of the box) software do you guys use for your small business?

I need a relatively inexpensive program that can:
-Create invoices, post $ to accounts, generate reports for the taxman etc.
-Keep customer inventory (i.e. customers rent our widgets)
-Keep a detailed customer database
-Store and utilize discount pricing for customers
etc. etc...

We have 4 mini-businesses going on and I need a way to link them all financially!

G

·
Get ready to bend over.

Best was bought by Sage or vise versa. We implemented MAS90 about 4 years ago. So far I have more than $60-75K wrapped up in it. It is 1000X better than QB. BUT, I have a Oracle background, compared to Oracle MAS is junk. But it works. Has audit trail and double entry, you can't delete transactions like you can in QB. Important if you have an employee doing data entry or trust an employee to to AP.

MAS also charges about $3K/yr for "warranty". They won't even talk to you unless you pay their extortion money.

Implemention is a nightmare. You will lose sleep, you will get grey hair and you will kick the dog. Not to mention drinking heavily on occasion.

Sage has other products, but MAS is about the best. For a few tens of thousands more you might look in to SAP.

Once you're up and running, it really is worth the expense. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd recommend Quickbooks as well. You might want to consider the online edition. You can give anybody with Internet access, ie. accountant.

MAS90 and Oracle Apps are far from "out of the box." Though, they are great products.

G

·
My bad. You asked what is the "best" software. Not Best Software. Best was actually a software company. For a few hundred bucks, QB is probably the best out there.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Get ready to bend over.

Best was bought by Sage or vise versa. We implemented MAS90 about 4 years ago. So far I have more than $60-75K wrapped up in it. It is 1000X better than QB. BUT, I have a Oracle background, compared to Oracle MAS is junk. But it works. Has audit trail and double entry, you can't delete transactions like you can in QB. Important if you have an employee doing data entry or trust an employee to to AP.

MAS also charges about $3K/yr for "warranty". They won't even talk to you unless you pay their extortion money.

Implemention is a nightmare. You will lose sleep, you will get grey hair and you will kick the dog. Not to mention drinking heavily on occasion.

Sage has other products, but MAS is about the best. For a few tens of thousands more you might look in to SAP.

Once you're up and running, it really is worth the expense. :D

my wife works there (Sage) and I got hooked up with Peachtree (their small biz software). It sucked and I went back to Quickbooks. lol

That last christmas party convo went like this:

"So Dave, how is that Peachtree working out for you?"

"It sucked so I shit canned it and reloaded Quickbooks" lol

G

·
my wife works there (Sage) and I got hooked up with Peachtree (their small biz software). It sucked and I went back to Quickbooks. lol

Looks like they gobbled up a few companies. They also have another mid level package...Businessworks or something like that. I used it years ago pre windows, it was ok.

·
PB Member #26
956 Posts
I have used MAS90 and Quickbooks.

I would recommend Quickbooks for a small company (what we use now).

MAS90 is great… expensive… but great.

·
Punk in Drublic
2,165 Posts
Us 2

I have used MAS90 and Quickbooks.

I would recommend Quickbooks for a small company (what we use now).

MAS90 is great… expensive… but great.
Bingo. Looking forward to HAVING to step up MAS90 when sales gets their act together!;)

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
We used to use Peachtree here at my shop. We switched to Quickbooks about 4 years ago and I like it much better. Very user friendly and I love that I can e-mail estimates, sales orders, & invoices right from Quickbooks to my customers. We couldn't do that with Peachtree.

G

·
Bingo. Looking forward to HAVING to step up MAS90 when sales gets their act together!;)
MAS isn't very "sales tracking" friendly. Not a good sales management tool imo. There are some custom written modules that are ok, but basic things like scheduled backlog don't exist. It does integrate with FRX and crystal reports however. So you can get lots of things done that way. IF you know how.

·
Registered
783 Posts

We have peachtree.... hate it!!! We use Quickbook pro, so easy.

·
Punk in Drublic
2,165 Posts
MAS isn't very "sales tracking" friendly. Not a good sales management tool imo. There are some custom written modules that are ok, but basic things like scheduled backlog don't exist. It does integrate with FRX and crystal reports however. So you can get lots of things done that way. IF you know how.
Good to know. Still got lots of time before moving up...:)hand

1 - 20 of 22 Posts