Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a dish,directv, home theater, car audio shop. About 4 months ago I moved to a bigger location off the main track. I told my landlord what we were doing and he said no problems. Put my address change in to the city and recieved new business and reseller permits.

Well today at 5:30pm I get a call from the city stating there was a clerical error and I am not allowed to do business in my area. So I ask WTF? I am on the same street as Ski Centurion, Malibu boats, Machine shops, electricians, a bus company etc how am I different?? He states that since I do improvement to cars "car audio" and I am a customer deriving(sp?) business, that the city doesn't want that where I am at. I told him its a little late for a clerical error I just did a huge remodel spent $$$ and am almost ready to open. His response, we don't want customers coming to your side of town?? Well hell there is an auto body shop and a car painter within blocks of me they bring in customers and improve cars.

What I am thinking is that I need to rewrite my business model I guess the rule is that 10% or less on the business can come from car audio actually sold from the shop.

What should I do, who's ba!!s do I have to rub at the city to fix this??
My main business is the dish and that is all done away from the shop, but I am worried that if a city *** walks in my shop one day and sees car audio displays and installs being done Im toast. Can I apply for a variance??

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Did you get any paperwork from the city stating they made a mistake?

It sounds like they are at fault and should have to make good for anything you are out of pocket.

JMO

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got off the phone with a city counsulman, cool guy who knows exactly where I am at and calling the city manager 1st thing in the morning. We both agree that they are being retards. He knows exactly where I am and knows of previous retail business's that ran there. Hopefully fixed in the morning

·
Registered
236 Posts
In order to get a Variance you will need to show a hardship which it sounds like you probably can based on the move that you made, money spent etc. Top it off with the fact that it was a mistake on their part and I bet it can be worked out. I would talk to a real estate attorney or entitlement guy in your area. Biggest thing you can do is go down to the city and get in front of a decision maker in the Planning and Zoning department. Its ok to be a little firm but being calm and nice to these people go's along long way. They usually get frustrated people that scream and yell at them. If you find the right guy and your nice they will bend over backwards to help you. Dont be scared to mention that current state of the economy is forcing you make changes in your business even if it is not the case. Most of these departments have seen huge cutbacks due to the economy and understand whats going on.

·
Other Side of River
1,235 Posts
You did right going to a elected official.The guy that showed up filled in his day messing with you,he earns his living on a paper trail.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You did right going to a elected official.The guy that showed up filled in his day messing with you,he earns his living on a paper trail.
I made a call at 6:00 tonight to the police SGT. (good friend) and an hour later the city counsulman called. He is going straight to the top at 8am fingers are crossed.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
How did it go?

I have a jerk here at work that would see nothing wrong with pulling that kind of crap, then calling me a racist for stopping him from driving out a business (he's not the same as me, but we are both minorities here). I have an interest in seeing how things can be worked out.

Oh, yes, I do work for a city.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts