Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Malory sprint super mag III and it says to set the buzz timing using the yellow wire. Someone explain this to me please. Never used a mag and dont want to fk it up.
Paul

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Hey Paul Ol Guy will know he knows everything, send him a PM:D
Hey B.A.,thanks for the thought but If I ever get to knowing everything just shoot me because the fun of learning is the reason for life. PAUL< no you don't need a buzz box. You can actually do it with a continiuty tester. Think of points and when they open you lose the ground and the light goes off. Set motor up at tdc then retard 1/16 turn,hook light pigtail to positive on the battery and prob to wire connection on mag light should be on. Then set motor for what you want for total and turn mag till you lose ground and light goes off, thats assuming you are using a locked down distributor. (points open sending charge to plug) Strap the distributor down and go. Mark

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Timing lights

Hey B.A.,thanks for the thought but If I ever get to knowing everything just shoot me because the fun of learning is the reason for life. PAUL< no you don't need a buzz box. You can actually do it with a continiuty tester. Think of points and when they open you lose the ground and the light goes off. Set motor up at tdc then retard 1/16 turn,hook light pigtail to positive on the battery and prob to wire connection on mag light should be on. Then set motor for what you want for total and turn mag till you lose ground and light goes off, thats assuming you are using a locked down distributor. (points open sending charge to plug) Strap the distributor down and go. Mark
Based on performance timing, you can use a timing light. The only thing you are doing is changing from a "Known" number. If you're running 35 locked out, according to a timing light, and you want to add a couple of degrees, use the same light, and get your 2 degrees. It is all about base lines and varibles from there. I've used a light on a Zig Vertex for years. (If you want to do it as directed above, just look up an old VW beatle, same deal)........I would suggest a "dial back" light however, it is easier to set to zero on the balancer. Another point here is "absolute TDC".......Unless it was established with, and correctly marked, using a degree wheel, it is a crap shoot trying to be dead on within 2 or 3 degrees..........MP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts