Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother, Jerry, has an 18' Byers that he has spent considerable time and money restoring. He did all of the mechanical work himself but hired out the painting and refinishing of the natural wood deck. Prior to the work, the deck had been fiber-glassed. The guy that did the work said that the glass was not necessary and that it was hard to hide the mesh of the glass on a natural clear finish. He stripped off the glass and refinished it with resin only and it looked fine until it was put into the water the first time. During that short time on that test run the veneer on the deck started splitting along the seams on both sides of the bow area. One part of it actually de-laminated from the structural plywood below.

As far as repairing the de-lamination, Jerry has considered injecting glue to get that back where it belongs but is afraid that it might occur in another location unless something further is done.

Does anyone have a remedy for this and should the deck have been glassed in with cloth and resin instead of resin only?

It seems to me that I have seen glass applied over wood with a clear finish and the mesh of the glass is not noticeable. Is it possible to apply glass without seeing the mesh in the finish?

Jerry is going to try to call Harlin and get his opinion and we're wondering if anyone else has any ideas and he will appreciate any and all suggestions.

Brown Wood Rectangle Grey Beige

·
Registered
19,958 Posts
text stu at tracer marine in norco he has done about 4 wood decks on flattys last year....does great work and /or show him your boat and get his advise super nice guy.....stu 714 287 1717 text is best as he is probably painting

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
text stu at tracer marine in norco he has done about 4 wood decks on flattys last year....does great work and /or show him your boat and get his advise super nice guy.....stu 714 287 1717 text is best as he is probably painting
Thanks much! I'll pass this on to Jerry.

·
Registered
19,958 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i sold a black byers yrs ago wood decker............
My brother's is orange and white with the wood deck. Our dad bought in the early 80's. Has a 440 Chrysler in it. Originally had black seats that would burn your hide off. Dad changed them to white.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I believe by the look of the wood and the split that the deck has just come apart and is separating from the sub structure. It doesn't matter what you put on top of that deck its going to crack until its repaired of replaced. Do you know what type of resin was used, Epoxy or Polyester? Also the statement that you cannot get a clear look thru the cloth is false, you have to use the correct materials to do the job. My Dad's boat below was done old school with polyester and yes there is cloth under this glass.

Water Vehicle Watercraft Boat Hood
Water Boat Watercraft Vehicle Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mouzer and Spectra Sanger for your input. Jerry contacted Stu in Norco who said that it is common for a an old wood decked boat to split at the veneer seams because everything is flexing. For that reason when he covers a deck he only uses one seam up the middle (this boat has two). He said that glass over it probably would have helped but it may have happened anyway since the boat is old and the glue lamination had broken down. He suggested that Jerry glue it and nail it for now and use the boat to see if it starts breaking down again in the same area or anywhere else. If the joints hold then Stu said that he can bring it to him and he'll glass over it.

Spectra Sanger I had talked to you a while back about a Velvet Drive. Sorry I didn't get back to you. We're in the middle of a major relocation after 42 years in the same place. I'm trying to move cars and boats and everything else that one accumulates over 40+ years. So I'm a bit sidetracked. I keep telling myself it'll all be worth it if I survive. Hope to actually talk to you under more relaxed conditions.

Thanks again for the help guys. My brother really appreciates it.

Phil

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe by the look of the wood and the split that the deck has just come apart and is separating from the sub structure. It doesn't matter what you put on top of that deck its going to crack until its repaired of replaced. Do you know what type of resin was used, Epoxy or Polyester? Also the statement that you cannot get a clear look thru the cloth is false, you have to use the correct materials to do the job. My Dad's boat below was done old school with polyester and yes there is cloth under this glass.

View attachment 1044226 View attachment 1044227
Changing the topic, I know, but what kind of drive is on your Dad's boat? That nailhead looks turned around so I'm thinking not a V drive and it looks too far back for direct drive and I don't see a nozzle sticking out so.......? Just wondering. Nice boat!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Changing the topic, I know, but what kind of drive is on your Dad's boat? That nailhead looks turned around so I'm thinking not a V drive and it looks too far back for direct drive and I don't see a nozzle sticking out so.......? Just wondering. Nice boat!
You are correct the Nail head is running off the snout, a lot of the boats in the early 60's ran this way, circle boats still run this way, its a right had drive V Drive Casale top loader with a reverse gear, same box that has been in there since 63'.

run
Bicycle part Crankset Rim Motor vehicle Nickel
Gas Machine Engineering Cylinder Automotive exhaust
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grille

·
Registered
10 Posts
Spectra/Sanger,
Wow what a gorgeous boat, way past "nice"!! Thanks for posting all the pics, great to see such a beautiful piece of work! The more you study the pics the more neat things that were done! Now I'll go out and throw rocks at my Sanger and my Kurtis LOL!! NOTHING like a Wood decker! Hope ya still have it!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Oh Ya we still have this boat, it's a 63' Spit Fire, if i am remembering correctly a gent by the name of Burt Squire? built 5 or 6 of these, heavy Mandella influence very wide beam and narrow ass, makes for a lot of fun if you turn too fast. This has been our Family Boat and has looked just like it does now since my dad traded his cracker to partner with a buddy in this boat in 65. Its been redone a couple times but only changes have been in paint, always Blue and White just a bit different, rigging same, Mid Deck was removed last resto as it kept popping the glass. This is and always will be Pops Boat.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Does the 73 GW stand for Gull Wing? I have a 77 Sanger Gull wing and love it, the boat is a blast to drive, no big power like some of the gents on this site but a realistic 500HP that will spin up to 6300. Lives 99% of its life cruising the Kings river.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thank you Sir! My Dad turned 87 in August and he isn't getting in the boats any more, he is still in his shop every day tinkering and working on Harvest equip but its getting hard for him. He has never been a boastful man at all, extremely humble, I get to brag on my Dad... I share the posts and comments that folks have when we get together and he gets a great little smile, he has great pride in doing things right, especially our toys...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts