Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sniffing around and found one of your old posts from another forum below. My roller cam is "silver" between the lobes but your quote below is a tad confusing. Last thing I want to do is ruin a new cam with a OEM push rod or have bronze going through my engine if I can help it.
Is it a coin flip? The sad thing...Lunati won't even give a direct answer.
Of course your feedback is much appreciated.

"Okay, I spoke with a 22 year veteran of Crane who supplies cores to the industry and got the following from him.
Gold billets are 8620 or 9310 material. Must use aftermarket fuel pump rod. Bronze tip favored.
Black and Silver Billets are 8650 Induction hardened.
Hardening is done with a coil so areas of the camshaft can be hardened to different levels. These cams are designed to be run with an OEM fuel pump rod BUT, my contact recommends using an aftermarket fuel pump pushrod to be on the safe side.[/
All of these cores are cut from material that comes in bar stock form. The word "Billet" Cam sounds much better the "Bar Stock" Cam. I would ask if the cam is on a 8620 or 8650 core. Then you will know."

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
I was sniffing around and found one of your old posts from another forum below. My roller cam is "silver" between the lobes but your quote below is a tad confusing. Last thing I want to do is ruin a new cam with a OEM push rod or have bronze going through my engine if I can help it.
Is it a coin flip? The sad thing...Lunati won't even give a direct answer.

"Okay, I spoke with a 22 year veteran of Crane who supplies cores to the industry and got the following from him.
Gold billets are 8620 or 9310 material. Must use aftermarket fuel pump rod. Bronze tip favored.
Black and Silver Billets are 8650 Induction hardened.
Hardening is done with a coil so areas of the camshaft can be hardened to different levels. These cams are designed to be run with an OEM fuel pump rod BUT, my contact recommends using an aftermarket fuel pump pushrod to be on the safe side.[/
All of these cores are cut from material that comes in bar stock form. The word "Billet" Cam sounds much better the "Bar Stock" Cam. I would ask if the cam is on a 8620 or 8650 core. Then you will know."
Well since the bronze tipped are about $16.00, I'd say why even think twice? Just get one and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well since the bronze tipped are about $16.00, I'd say why even think twice? Just get one and be done with it.
Thanks for your reply Scott.
Not a matter of price, I just want the right pushrod for this cam. What's throwing me off is (if) my cam is designed to be run with an OEM fuel pump rod why consider using an aftermarket "bronze tip" fuel pump pushrod to be on..."the safe side"???
My HD uses bronze bushings in the rocker arms and the cam support bushing...there's always a slight gold dusting in the oil. (ewww)

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
Thanks for your reply Scott.
Not a matter of price, I just want the right pushrod for this cam. What's throwing me off is (if) my cam is designed to be run with an OEM fuel pump why consider using an aftermarket "bronze tip" fuel pump pushrod to be on..."the safe side"???
My HD uses bronze bushings in the rocker arms and the cam support bushing...there's always a slight gold dusting in the oil. (ewww)
Threre's obviously a question as to weather or not using an OEM pushrod is acceptable even on the 8650 core due to the inconsistancy of induction hardening. I don't think I'd lose any sleep over the bronze tip pushrod...but I would lose sleep using the OEM. The bronze tip are hollow chromoly tubing, heat treated, centerless ground, super strong and lightweight.
And yes, when you're talking about ruining a custom roller, being on the "safe side" should be an easy choice.
JMO

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
You could also go with a polymer/carbon pushrod. Only 27grams, and only 40.00. It doesn't care what cam it's on. I can order you one tomorrow.:D

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Ray,
That Loonatic cam "Should" be compatible with the OEM fuel pump rod but a bronze tip rod will work on anything. Lunati should be able to tell you whose core they ground.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I only have to add, bar stock IS billet.

Carry on....

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could also go with a polymer/carbon pushrod. Only 27grams, and only 40.00. It doesn't care what cam it's on. I can order you one tomorrow.:D
Had I checked in before leaving for work (4am) I would have ordered it from you.
Got the bronze tip pushrod and a few other things ordered from Summit...I have a credit to use up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts