Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Lavey Me Alone
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had a little run in with the Ranger today.....

Decided to take the kids out riding for the first time this season....
We were going to hit Hodge RD, but decided to try Wildomar since it's only 70 miles from our house. I haven't been since I had Toyota 4x4 12-15 years ago. We had my CR500, and for the kids the ATC 70 and CRF50. AS SOON AS I stopped the truck, the ranger who had been writing a ticket to someone else, finished and came over before I could even walk to my trailer. He went straight for my bikes...."what years are these?" I told him as I pointed. He checked the green stickers, then went for the Silencer on the CR. I told him it was approved, and showed him. He pointed at the screws holding the end cap and said he can't confirm it hasn't been tampered with...I asked him if he could stick it. He said it probably wouldn't tell him much because of the bend. He did stick it finally and said he's still not totally sure, and then asked that i not start it there today. I confirmed he meant it must stay on the trailer and not run, he said that's right. whatever....I didn't want a hassle and the trip was for the kids anyway. SO, then he points to my kids and asks if they have taken safety courses. I said they have watched a DVD on riding safety and I go over it with them all the time. He asked if they have a certificate to prove they've had a course. No they don't, I said, and asked if they need one to ride. He said if they are under 14 they need a safety course certificate to ride anything with "3 or more" wheels.....I asked if he had a brochure or any literature on that he said he didn't but I could look up safety courses online.....well i have done some Google searches for required courses and came up dry, so I'm asking you experts...

What's the deal, and does law really say "3 or more wheels"....I thought that was odd that the law would specify something that hasn't been made in 21 years. He said the kids could not ride the ATC w/o the certs. The kids could ride the CRF50 though. I guess I need to go spend $$$ on a safety course and carry the certs to prove it now???

Thanks,
RTJas :D

·
Steady Rollin
1,152 Posts
what a f'ing scam. I'd be beyond pissed.

talk about someone just out to ruin someones weekend. I understand doing your job, and ensuring things are safe everyone is aware of the rules, but it really sounds like he went above and beyond the call of duty to harass the shit out of you.

I guess you cant win em all. I have a feeling this is a sign of things to come.

·
Registered
643 Posts
It's not just Calif. the ranger in Parker told us the same thing last year. I had already looked into classes, and they could not get us in as there were no rangers in Blythe, or Parker to instruct for over a years wait. I had the rangers card from Blythe that I had spoken to so they let us ride. Some states we have looked into riding are 16 yrs. old only on public land. We would really like to take a summer trip to Utah and get out of the heat, but my daughter is only 14.

·
....like warm apple pie
1,681 Posts
That sucks!! I do know when I was buying quads for my boys a couple of years ago, I had to sign my life away at 2 different dealerships that I was DECLINING the training....and that nobody younger than 6 were going to ride them (my boys both started riding at 3ish, but now are 6 and 9)....but I figured it was manufacturer liability...and it was my choice to decline. I have trained and continue to train my boys about safe riding every time out....the training never stops. There was never anything said about a required certification to ride.

·
Registered
293 Posts
if an adult has had the course
the kids can ride with them but if no adult has taken the course all the kids need to take it

·
Lavey Me Alone
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if an adult has had the course
the kids can ride with them but if no adult has taken the course all the kids need to take it

Interesting, because he never asked me about my experience or if I'd taken any courses.

Thanks for the support everyone!

·
Lavey Me Alone
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My boy still got to have a little fun...

....but we won't be going back to Wildomar anymore.

RTJas ;)

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
total bull shit. that guys an ass. i coulda told yuh ythey're like that there. i've only been there twice and both times i didn't get to the parking lot before they were checking registration and spark arrestors. other places aren't nearly as dickish.i'd bet money that if you ent to el marage they wouldn't have evn looked at you.... unless you needed help.

·
Lavey Me Alone
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cute rider. Where in Wildomar?

My daughters boyfriend always goes to Lake Elsinore track for the dirt bike.

She started riding with him last year.
Very Cool!

Wildomar OHV is above Lake Elsinore actually. You go up Ortega Hwy from the lake, and about a mile~ish past the biker bar is a turn-off for it. It's like 7 miles~ish after you make the turn.....but I really wouldn't bother going if I was you! ;)

·
Registered
8,347 Posts
She wants us to buy her one. I am hesitant because my husband is not mechanicaly inclined nor would I be. I figure she needs to learn how to fix one if she wants one.

I did try to rent one for her to take to Ocotillo last year. The only place I could find was in Burbank area. A bit far to pick up on a Friday night from my area.

Do you know of any places in Riverside county that rent them for the day other than a track?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Nine pieces of Eight
1,377 Posts
BLM could really care less but CA State Parks love to enforce CA Law.

Last time I took my Jeep to Wildomar the ranger told me if I take it in the dirt he would cite me for modified exhaust stating that the stock system would be forest approved and my custom system could start a fire.

Whatever...we left.

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
You also have to check where you're riding.

BLM regulations require any riders under 18 to have a rider certification course. Any approved course from any state is accepted.

Arizona currently has no requirements for safety courses, But as of January 1st, 2009 kids under 18 would be required to wear helmets, and OH Vehicles are required to be registered, similar to CA's Green sticker.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
You also have to check where you're riding.

BLM regulations require any riders under 18 to have a rider certification course. Any approved course from any state is accepted.

Arizona currently has no requirements for safety courses, But as of January 1st, 2009 kids under 18 would be required to wear helmets, and OH Vehicles are required to be registered, similar to CA's Green sticker.
What about Rhinos or ATV's that already have a lic. plate? My Rhino is plated and my wife's dad's quad is plated.

·
Lavey Me Alone
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BLM could really care less but CA State Parks love to enforce CA Law.

Last time I took my Jeep to Wildomar the ranger told me if I take it in the dirt he would cite me for modified exhaust stating that the stock system would be forest approved and my custom system could start a fire.

Whatever...we left.
Interesting, on the way out of there today the same Ranger happened to be ~1/2mile or so ahead of us on the road, he stopped (effectively blocking the road) to talk to a guy a very nice, and pretty highly modified jeep. They spoke for a few minutes while I waited behind the ranger. Not sure what they were talking about, but I wonder if that was it. The driver looked a bit confused when the ranger finally drove on....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts