Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Send It!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Signed a 1 year lease($1500) on 7/1/2007. We never renewed and the owner has never asked us to sign a new agreement. We've been paying $1500 1st of every month since. Owner texted me last Friday(6/5) and said he would be raising the rent to $1650 effective 8/1/09. I declined the increase and gave my 30 day notice via email on 6/6(Saturday). Owner is now requesting that I stay in the property until July 31 and pay for the entire month of July.

Do I need to accomodate this request? I have already found a new place that starts the lease this month so I'm going to have to pay on both rentals for about 3 weeks already. My thinking is that 30 days is all I need to give regardless of what day or week in the month it is.

Also - If I leave the place absolutely spotless, should I expect to get the entire $1500 deposit back? Will there be charges/fees that will be tacked on that I'm not aware of?

TIA :)

·
The HMFIC
1,748 Posts
because you basically went month to month with the owner and you no longer have any kind of lease agreement i dont think you have tell him or do anything he askes. the 30 day notice was just a courtsy on your part and he cannot make you stay any longer than you wish to esp if you pay. however if you want your deposit back you may have to keep this nice and friendly. they cannot keep any part of your deposit for normal wear that type of stuff is the price of being in realestate but if there is blatent damage, stains, holes in the wall, pet stains or smells, etc you can expect your deposit to be effected. hope this gets your brain turnin:D

·
On The Gas
1,428 Posts
Signed a 1 year lease($1500) on 7/1/2007. We never renewed and the owner has never asked us to sign a new agreement. We've been paying $1500 1st of every month since. Owner texted me last Friday(6/5) and said he would be raising the rent to $1650 effective 8/1/09. I declined the increase and gave my 30 day notice via email on 6/6(Saturday). Owner is now requesting that I stay in the property until July 31 and pay for the entire month of July.

Do I need to accomodate this request? I have already found a new place that starts the lease this month so I'm going to have to pay on both rentals for about 3 weeks already. My thinking is that 30 days is all I need to give regardless of what day or week in the month it is.

Also - If I leave the place absolutely spotless, should I expect to get the entire $1500 deposit back? Will there be charges/fees that will be tacked on that I'm not aware of?

TIA :)
Most rental contracts have a "revert to" clause. Basically that means it reverts to a standard "month to month" lease with a 30 day notice for both side. You do not have to stay until the end of July. Make sure you pay the per diem rent due on July 1st, 2009 so that he can not say you missed your rent payment. You can not "offset" remaining rent with your security deposit. This is where the landlord can screw you with fees, late charges, etc.

Kind of interesting he gave you a 30 day notice and then asks you to stay. Obviously he doesn't have anyone lined up and wants to try and minimize his lost rent time. He will advertise the property for rent while you are still in it. There should be another provision in your lease about his access to the property while you are still a tenant. You should read it and know your rights.

It's always better to part on better than average terms. If you can postpone your departure to accommodate his request, ask him to have your security deposit ready up final walk through. That way you get your money back immediately, he gets a little more rent and you still get to move in to your new place August 1st. That is if that won't cost you to lose the new place.

With plenty of rentals available, the new place might give you a concession that would allow you to financially swing the above scenario without it costing you a dime. They want you in the new place. Let them throw you a perk to get you out early but still gives you the coin to pay the rent to the end of July. It never hurts to ask.

·
Send It!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most rental contracts have a "revert to" clause. Basically that means it reverts to a standard "month to month" lease with a 30 day notice for both side. You do not have to stay until the end of July. Make sure you pay the per diem rent due on July 1st, 2009 so that he can not say you missed your rent payment. You can not "offset" remaining rent with your security deposit. This is where the landlord can screw you with fees, late charges, etc.

Kind of interesting he gave you a 30 day notice and then asks you to stay. Obviously he doesn't have anyone lined up and wants to try and minimize his lost rent time. He will advertise the property for rent while you are still in it. There should be another provision in your lease about his access to the property while you are still a tenant. You should read it and know your rights.

It's always better to part on better than average terms. If you can postpone your departure to accommodate his request, ask him to have your security deposit ready up final walk through. That way you get your money back immediately, he gets a little more rent and you still get to move in to your new place August 1st. That is if that won't cost you to lose the new place.

With plenty of rentals available, the new place might give you a concession that would allow you to financially swing the above scenario without it costing you a dime. They want you in the new place. Let them throw you a perk to get you out early but still gives you the coin to pay the rent to the end of July. It never hurts to ask.
TCD - I actually sign the new lease today. The perk is I'm only paying 1/2($750) month for the remainder of June. The current landlord to this point has been great, but he's really pushing me to stay until July 31, which just doesn't make financial sense to me. I want to part on good terms for sure, and I want to make sure I get back whatever I'm entitled to on my deposit. I will make sure to pay the prorated July rent ($290.34 for 6 days @ 48.39/day on a 31 day month) on time. Is that the correct calculation on $1500/month?

TIA

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Get your original walk through inspection sheet and use that as a basis for the exit walk through. Owner has to mail you, or hand you the final accounting and inspectrion sheet with in 10-25 days of exit. Minor wear and tear is expected for being in for 1 year, but not holes in walls, significant painting, or carper shampooing with large stains. just figure what is expected for a year, clean the place good and be in attendance when they look at it. Work out the issues then, not later.

·
Send It!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
because you basically went month to month with the owner and you no longer have any kind of lease agreement i dont think you have tell him or do anything he askes. the 30 day notice was just a courtsy on your part and he cannot make you stay any longer than you wish to esp if you pay. however if you want your deposit back you may have to keep this nice and friendly. they cannot keep any part of your deposit for normal wear that type of stuff is the price of being in realestate but if there is blatent damage, stains, holes in the wall, pet stains or smells, etc you can expect your deposit to be effected. hope this gets your brain turnin:D
THanks HWL. It's been a very friendly relationship to this point and I'd like to end it that way. We'll be leaving the property in better shape than it was when we moved in.

·
Send It!
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get your original walk through inspection sheet and use that as a basis for the exit walk through. Owner has to mail you, or hand you the final accounting and inspectrion sheet with in 10-25 days of exit. Minor wear and tear is expected for being in for 1 year, but not holes in walls, significant painting, or carper shampooing with large stains. just figure what is expected for a year, clean the place good and be in attendance when they look at it. Work out the issues then, not later.
Thanks BoatPI. I'll make sure to do the above.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts
And take pic's, lots of pic's, then take more pic's. It's always amaizing the amount of damage that happens once your gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts