Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had this happen this weekend and it is a defect not a broken cable!:mad: The way it looks to me is that the crimp on the 1/4" rod end wasn't done properly causing the 1/8" SS cable to slide out of the 1/4" rod! There isn't any of the 1/8" cable inside the rod part of the cable Is this common or has the quality gone to crap?:mad:

·
Head Janitor
690 Posts
I just had to replace my diverter cable due to the same issue.

EDIT: My cable was at least 3 years old, but it broke in the same place as yours. Almost like the crimp just gave up...

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just had to replace my diverter cable due to the same issue.
This cable is one season old! The others that I have had never broke like this always on the 1/8" cable part! (A kink break) I think I have heard about others doing the same thing!:)st

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
This cable is one season old! The others that I have had never broke like this always on the 1/8" cable part! (A kink break) I think I have heard about others doing the same thing!:)st
well good i'm not the only one that broke a diverter cable that was less than a season old last weekend.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Probably a good idea to double check that the limitation of the actual cable throw itself (determined by the crimps in the cable sheathing and body on either end ) aren't or don't become the terminal "stops" for the action or "throw" of the device itself. In other words for example if the trim actuator arm or bucket arm will travel further than the cables capability the leverage could concievably push the sheath or crimps out? I'll expiriment with one later and post pics , We have seen a couple of these in the hundreds of cables we have sold over the past couple seasons on trim but not Fwd/Rev .Tom

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
just put the 1/8" cable back into the 1/4" rod & "properly" crimp it & your good to go :)...just sayin' my .02 cents FastRat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts