Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Pronounced Paul "W"
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New digital age dawning...may have to give up the rabbit ears.

Rant & Rate - Cable?? or Satellite??

If you're a Satellite fan then Rant & Rate - Dish Network or DirecTV

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
Dish Network for me! It didn't cost much at all to add service to the motor home as well and it's awesome to have two different TVs going up on the mountains. Can't do that with cable.

·
Never Enough
972 Posts
Dish Network for me! It didn't cost much at all to add service to the motor home as well and it's awesome to have two different TVs going up on the mountains. Can't do that with cable.
Got Dish.Two receivers for four TV's in the house and the extra one for the motorhome.
Only issue I've got is with the receiver in the motorhome is if it's parked for a period of time I have to call India or wherever to have the smart card updated because it's not hooked up to a phone line for the nightly update/whatever. Anyone know how to eliminate this issue?:)st

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
Got Dish.Two receivers for four TV's in the house and the extra one for the motorhome.
Only issue I've got is with the receiver in the motorhome is if it's parked for a period of time I have to call India or wherever to have the smart card updated because it's not hooked up to a phone line for the nightly update/whatever. Anyone know how to eliminate this issue?:)st
I've never once hooked to a phone line and things work just fine?

·
000-OnRe!
242 Posts

You don't need a phone line, when you get home aim the dish to receive
the info from the satellite, if it does not communicate with satelite for 30
days it needs the India phone call! You might have to plug in the rv so the box is energized

·
Never Enough
972 Posts
I've never once hooked to a phone line and things work just fine?
Are you talking about the RV or the home system as far as the phone thing goes? I have to pay 5 bucks for each receiver at home that's not hooked up to a phone line. Also,though,I only pay 5 bucks for the extra receiver in the MH.;)
You don't need a phone line, when you get home aim the dish to receive
the info from the satellite, if it does not communicate with satelite for 30
days it needs the India phone call! You might have to plug in the rv so the box is energized
I don't have the luxury of being able to park the rig at home with power so the receiver sits off for extended periods of time.:)st

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
Are you talking about the RV or the home system as far as the phone thing goes? I have to pay 5 bucks for each receiver at home that's not hooked up to a phone line. Also,though,I only pay 5 bucks for the extra receiver in the MH.;)

I don't have the luxury of being able to park the rig at home with power so the receiver sits off for extended periods of time.:)st
I never have plugged a phone line in any receiver for many many years. Our RV also sits for extended periods so I have to make the call to the Slurpee salesmen to get them to send me a signal after I have the dish aimed wherever I set up. It takes 20 minutes out of my life but they will also turn the RV unit off while it's parked without charges and re-activate it with a simple call to the 7/11 owners.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Fibre the way to go, but as been said ... tons of channels and nothing on. I watch "life", Discovery channel and History channel and of course UFC on Spike, but that would be all i need.:D

·
Send It!
50 Posts
New digital age dawning...may have to give up the rabbit ears.

Rant & Rate - Cable?? or Satellite??

If you're a Satellite fan then Rant & Rate - Dish Network or DirecTV

Don't forget about Uverse(AT&T) and FIOS(Verizon). I just switched from Time Warner Cable to Uverse and am pretty happy. I signed up for phone, internet and the U400 cable package for about $180/month. Lots of features and I got $275 back in the form of $100 check and $175 in visa debit cards. Also - no contracts.

·
Registered
433 Posts
FTA...get a Sonicview HD8000 box and you're set. High Def and DVR.

do you have more details on this? I've done a bit of net searching and never really figured the process out where I felt comfortable to make the switch. Looks like it could be hit or miss for the updates and channel guides? Wasn't there a recent update to the satellites that could eliminate the use of FTA on bev or dish*? I'd appreciate some basic info if you have it... looks like the way to go!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts