Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, got the unit from the guy... i'm thinking i have to send it in for a rebuild. There's a long bolt in the back of it, i'm guessing this is the set screw. I'm able to screw it in and out by hand. I did not pull it all the way out, only maybe turned it 1/2 turn each direction but my guess is that i shouldnt be able to do this. So here's what i got...

So, i need the bezel, the tiller arm for my place diverter... i'm also running a droop so do i need anything for that? What else?

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
CP Performance

Call Brian @ CP Performance. He was very helpful when I was looking for Calgo /place parts.

They're below in the $$$ section.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
I've heard Rex knows a lot about these Calgo setups, and also sells replacement parts for them.:)bulb

Good luck.:)hand

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
that long bolt should stay in there to keep you from turning the shaft during installation. If you turn the shaft/or steering wheel when its on the shaft, and the cables aren't hooked up to the tiller arm, the cables will come loose inside the steering box.

never turn the turn with the wheel without tension on the cables.

once its all set up you can take that bolt out.

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
Shaun I have a tiller arm and post for this as well as a complete used unit , happy to explain what else you'll need please check PMs Tom

Cyclones right if its been turned without tension it will likely unspool inside

·
B1 Racing
6,523 Posts
Its also there as a centering up tool. What you do is run that screw in till it bottoms out, its centers up the gearbox and also keeps it from turning so the cables dont get crossed up inside during installation or during hardware changes when the cables are off. In most cases you pull the screw out and install a zerk, I leave the screw in but backed out.

Thats a different box than what they sell now, Id send it to Grimes and have it gone through and get some information on what youve got. It probably has a different ratio than what is offered now.

Do a search for Goleta Speed Marine (Norm Grimes)

Chris.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
hey Shaun, Check with Greg Shoemaker at GS marine in corona ca. I have played with calgo on the old race boats and the spool has a lock bolt in the back so when you unbolt the cables everything doesn't turn into a rats nest in the spool. Again I would check with Greg, He's a good guy and willing to help. Go to his thread. M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts