Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see guys running the calgo setups and say they love them, then i see guys that install them and rip them right back off cuz they hated them. It's not just a few, seams like there's quiet a few that love them and hate them... So why?

Why do the guys that love them... love them AND why do the guys that hate them... hate them?

I have a calgo helm sitting in my garage, my current steering is rack&pinion and it's only a couple years old. I hate the amount of slack thats in the steering though.. it drives me crazy and makes me alittle nervous when holding the peddle to the floor.

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
I'd say that it's just a matter of prefrence and each as it's advantages/drawbacks. From my experience, the calgo was, when set up right, very percise and really nice "quick" feel and reaction. The drawback was that when it gets out of adjustment, the cables get slack, the sheath wears, anything but spot on... it feels as if the steering is attached to rubber bands and it is very sloppy, took a bunch of effort to steer, and unpredictable (boat would wander quite bad sometimes). When I switched over to the rack... the steering was much less percise... but was very smooth and required very little effort. On thing other I noticed... no matter how bad the calgo got out of whack... I could stiull make it back in... the rack on the other hand... crusing down river all is good and the next thing you know... no steering... wheel spins and nothing. I'd say cost and availability is in favour of the rack, but cool and "racey trick bitchen" factor goes towards the calgo.

Of course my favorite is still the old school single cable box looking dealy-o (forget what it was called). Still have one in my Crusader, and really percise, quick ratio, and good feel.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Calgo is the worst steering system ever made. I have to retract that statement, as there is no other dual cable systems available at this time. I just spent over $ 1500 for all new parts , column etc. It is what it is. I am not a fan of it but I am going to run it. If you need calgo call Greg Shoemaker at G.S. marine. He has been partners with Norm Grimes for over 25 years, and that is who makes calgo. No one else can help you with the installation, so you might as go with the best. Greg will treat you right. He is a stand up guy and is a great asset to Jet boaters. :)hand

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Calgo is the worst steering system ever made. I have to retract that statement, as there is no other dual cable systems available at this time. I just spent over $ 1500 for all new parts , column etc. It is what it is. I am not a fan of it but I am going to run it. If you need calgo call Greg Shoemaker at G.S. marine. He has been partners with Norm Grimes for over 25 years, and that is who makes calgo. No one else can help you with the installation, so you might as go with the best. Greg will treat you right. He is a stand up guy and is a great asset to Jet boaters. :)hand
Why are you going to run it if you're not a fan Richard?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Why are you going to run it if you're not a fan Richard?
Well Tony, it is the only tight dual cable system that will work in the Advantage at this time. I would really like an old Morse dual rotary box system. I have a new helm for the morse, and some boxes, but cannot get cables any more. We are currently running single rotary steering, and there is just to much free play in the system. We need to settle the boat down some, and hopefully more precise steering will help.

·
Choking my .......
355 Posts
I think thats exactly what it is . Love/hate with the Calgo.
For the breif time I had mine :)sphss I was in awe at how good it felt, turned and it simplicity. I was also running the bigger cable and when i would try and turn it on the trailer it was stiff and took some effort to steer. Luckily Jack was strolling through the pits and set me straight and not to mention all of Jacks help over the phone. Under power it was smooth as silk to my suprise . Thus the love part.

The hate part is the maintainance like everyone has already stated. You really need to stay on it.

·
21 Daytona
5,291 Posts
why do peeps not use the double rack systems?
JBB has one on his 21 daytona, I believe Nelson performance installed it.
Just flip the second rack and it becomes a push pull
system. I'll see if I can find pics of it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
why do peeps not use the double rack systems?
JBB has one on his 21 daytona, I believe Nelson performance installed it.
Just flip the second rack and it becomes a push pull
system. I'll see if I can find pics of it.
In my application the deck of the boat has two stringers that attach to the dash. There is not enough room for two racks even with center steering.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
install it right and it works like butter. keep it that way by replacing the cable housings every now and again when they rust out. no big deal.

·
Choking my .......
355 Posts

About what? what was going on?
The only thing my tiny little brain couldnt trouble shoot was adjusting the tension at the transome. After a few calls to MPD he set me straight and cruised by the pits to make sure I'd done it right. I did and he gave me some tips for next time and what not to do.
As a side note he does rebuild them and has some nice hardware to go along with the install.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well Tony, it is the only tight dual cable system that will work in the Advantage at this time. I would really like an old Morse dual rotary box system. I have a new helm for the morse, and some boxes, but cannot get cables any more. We are currently running single rotary steering, and there is just to much free play in the system. We need to settle the boat down some, and hopefully more precise steering will help.
I don't know what the cables look like for this setup. Is it not possible to have some made? Seems simple enough but maybe I am wrong.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
How often is that?
i let mine go for three years before changing the cable housings out. in hindsight, i'd probably do it every other season. i think the new housings were less than a hundred bucks from Rex.

my wheel turns very easily and precisely.

·
I'm No Expert
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i let mine go for three years before changing the cable housings out. in hindsight, i'd probably do it every other season. i think the new housings were less than a hundred bucks from Rex.

my wheel turns very easily and precisely.
Thats not bad, i was thinking you where going to say twice a year or somthing :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts