Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can Anyone explain how the calgo steering cables are routed and held in place along the gunnel of the boat? Any one have pictures of their insallation inside the boat?....H

·
Registered
939 Posts
routing

I screwed in some plastic wire loom holders to the inside of the gunnel. Keeps everything supported and out of sight.

In the past, I fibre glassed some round tubes into the gunnels to support the wires and steering cables.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On a jet calgo ,do both cables exit out the same side of the hub,or are the jet and vdrive hubs the same where a cable exits out oposite sides?
I have tried to find insallation info and pictures of a jet setup especially the hub,but all I find on rex and the like are the v-drive set.
I bought a used setup ,but I think it is for a V-drive.If it is ,it might be for sale soon....H

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
On a jet calgo ,do both cables exit out the same side of the hub,or are the jet and vdrive hubs the same where a cable exits out oposite sides?
I have tried to find insallation info and pictures of a jet setup especially the hub,but all I find on rex and the like are the v-drive set.
I bought a used setup ,but I think it is for a V-drive.If it is ,it might be for sale soon....H
Hal, just go rack and pinion. So much easier. LOL

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this one is for a v-drive then?

Attachments

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Why wouldn't it work for a jet, too? Why would there be any difference in the steering hub?:)eh:)

Thanks.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I know there are several people that think calgo is a great system, and have had good success with it. I have had fast boats for over 30 yrs. and have circle raced jets and flatbottoms etc. While driving probably 75 to a 100 race and pleasure boats, I have had 4 steering failures, all have been clago. In a well maintained race situation it is probably a good system, however I will never drive or let my family ride in a boat with calgo. There are too many things that can go wrong with the set up and cause problems, and you never know who had there fingers in it. Not trying to slam calgo but I wouldn't use it in a pleasure boat.

·
jetboataholic
2,798 Posts
Everything about the Calgo steering system is very expensive. If it were me, I would take the money I would save by using a regular rack and pinion, and buy some other parts for the boat!:)bulb

:)hand

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Everything about the Calgo steering system is very expensive. If it were me, I would take the money I would save by using a regular rack and pinion, and buy some other parts for the boat!:)bulb

:)hand

Thats the way i looked at it. I took out my Calgo steering and gave it to someone who could use it... Since my boat is no longer a race boat . I think it cost him more $$ to have it rebuilt then i payed for my new rack & pinion steering.. Tom @ JBP hooked me up:D

Maybe he will chime in and tell you what it cost him to have the Calgo rebuilt...Might change your mind:D
Is this for a family boat??

2sav

·
Registered
319 Posts
I never understood why anyone would want to mess with that type steering. looks weak to me. simple rack and pinion with cable works good. jets don't try to turn on their own like prop boats do.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
I never understood why anyone would want to mess with that type steering. looks weak to me. simple rack and pinion with cable works good. jets don't try to turn on their own like prop boats do.
that's an easy answer: calgo=little to no slack or slop in the steering.
a brand new morse cable has slop in it.

at high speeds sloppy steering sucks.

ive never had an issue with my calgo. keep it adjusted tight and it works perfect.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thank's Guys for every ones opinions.

Cyclone;
does the jet steering hub differ from the one that I have posted,with both cables exiting on one side ,or is it the same ,with cables exiting both sides,with a smaller diameter cable ?
When the cables are ran down the side of the gunnels ,are any pulley's used?
Some people said that the cables are held in place with clamps and clips? Does the cable not move back and forth ,putting tention on the mounting hardware?
I saw and read the old Hot boat article , where they rigged Cyclones boat with the calgo,but it did'nt really show or mention the mounting process along the gunnels.
I am intrested to see how the cables are ran ,and held in place up under the gunnels ,and what is done to make the turns,from the dash ,down the gunnel,turn to the transom ,and turn out to exit the transom. You have a series of 90* turns to make ,and I am intrested to see how it's done, wether I use the system or not! I have asked this very question before and have got the same vauge answers and the same opinions.
Whether I ues it or not ,I am still curious about the set up and installation.

I would not even atempt to use the one I have ,without getting it rebuilt,but having one rebuilt would still be cheaper than buying a brand new one,But at the same time ,if this is not a jetboat setup,I am not out to re envent the wheel just to adapt this system to a jetboat!

Is there not any web site that offers technical info on the Calgo system? Obviously Calgo does not have a web site ,or atleast I havnot found it and all My searches have come up empty! Thank's... Hal

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Thank's Guys for every ones opinions.

Cyclone;
does the jet steering hub differ from the one that I have posted,with both cables exiting on one side ,or is it the same ,with cables exiting both sides,with a smaller diameter cable ?
When the cables are ran down the side of the gunnels ,are any pulley's used?
Some people said that the cables are held in place with clamps and clips? Does the cable not move back and forth ,putting tention on the mounting hardware?
I saw and read the old Hot boat article , where they rigged Cyclones boat with the calgo,but it did'nt really show or mention the mounting process along the gunnels.
I am intrested to see how the cables are ran ,and held in place up under the gunnels ,and what is done to make the turns,from the dash ,down the gunnel,turn to the transom ,and turn out to exit the transom. You hahe e series of 90* turns to make ,and I am intrested to see how its done,wether I use the system or not. I have asked this very question before and have got the same vauge answers and the same opinions.
Whether I ues it or not ,I am still curious abou the set up and installation.
I would not even atempt to use the one I have ,without getting it rebuilt,but having one rebuilt would still be cheaper than buying a brand new one,But at the same time ,if this is not a jetboat setup,I am not out to re envent the wheel just to adapt this system to a jetboat!
Is there not any web site that offers technical info on the Calgo system? Obviously Calgo does not have a web site ,or atleast I havnot found it and all My searches have come up empty! Thank's... Hal
my hub has both of the cables coming out of one side of it. there are no pulleys in the jet boat system. the cables are adel-clamped inside the gunnels of my boat but that is just to hold them up and out of sight. at the rear of the boat the cables run through a threaded adjuster that puts tension on the outer cable casing. as the steering wheel moves, the cable slides inside the casing but the casing doesn't really move. Once you have the cables fastened to the tiller arm, you can adjust the slack out of the cables by simply loosening the jam nut on the adjuster and then turning the adjuster with a wrench. I check and adjust mine before every trip. just takes a few minutes. Each cable has three brass clamps on it so there's little chance of the cables ever coming loose or failing. My steering is smooth and easy to operate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts