Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called a business associate this morning to bitch about the CARB rules on our diesel equipment and how costly it's going to be to us to have to replace perfectly good equipment with many more years of life in them. And I'm not talking about a $200 lawn mower. After he lets me vent for a bit he says " Jon rest assured you're not the only one, check your email"

This is what he sent me:

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS:
I am a contractor and a small business owner. I don’t have the ability to draw for you the picture that is in my head right now, so I am going to do my best to describe it. For those of you who are also small business owners, I am sure what I am about to describe may fit your experience to a “T.” For those of you who are not owners, this is a very important description of what it is like to be a small business owner in the construction industry in the State of California in 2009.
MY DREAM:
I am a businessman walking down the street; hands in my pocket, smiling, happy, minding my own “business.” It’s a great day, the sun shining, birds singing, the air is sweet, nice day, a bit of a breeze to keep the heat off. I’m wearing my favorite comfortable clothes and shoes and I’m just feeling good - I may even have a little money in my pocket from all the hard work and long hours I have been putting in for a long, long time in building my business. I think about the unconditional support from my family over the years; all of the important family time I missed as the kids were growing up. It was my exchange for the chance of a better future for all of us. My hope was the reward would ultimately have been worth the sacrifices I made. I think about the good folks that worked for us, and that I have gotten to know over the years. I think about the good people we do business with, and the sacrifices they have likely made. It makes me a little lighter on my feet to know that I have done well by all of these people, working side by side providing them an opportunity to make a good living, giving them and their families the opportunity to share in our prosperity... Our own little piece of the American Dream.
I might even daydream a little about the future - that maybe if we can keep this up, we could even pass something of substance onto our children and to the children of those that have worked with us. We’ll show the next generation that a dream, honest hard work, some education or training, the willingness to take a risk, and a little luck, our children can go anywhere they want to if they really want to. I fall into a deep, contentful sleep...
MY NIGHTMARE
And then out of the shadows of a dark corner comes a group of low-lifes and bullies. These low-lifes have on hoodies, they are big and ugly, with sticks and clubs, rocks and chains. Their names are RECESSION, PERP, ON-ROAD DIESEL and OFF-ROAD DIESEL, STORMWATER, DROUGHT, DUST, GREENHOUSE GAS, CAP AND TRADE and other names I can’t even see yet. They jump me and start bludgeoning me. I cry, why are you beating me? What have I done wrong? I’ve always abided by all the rules, treated others fairly, paid my taxes, and done what I was supposed to do. I plead that I’ve done nothing wrong! I’m not a bad guy, in fact, I thought I was one of the good guys. I try to reason with them, to explain how our business, or any business works, But they won’t listen, they don’t understand and they don’t care. They see me as the enemy. The more I plead, the more they beat me. They all start piling on me. I can’t take it anymore. I am on the ground and they are all kicking me, harder and harder. I want to fight back, but their fight has no rules, no sense of fair play and my resisting only makes them more angry. I am dying... And then I wake up.
My dreams and illusions are all gone now. Maybe it was arrogance that kept me believing I could keep going - dreaming of a future. Now I know in my gut that those dreams of a better future are gone forever. All I know is that it hurts a lot to have your dreams crushed. I don’t understand why they keep doing this to me. I also know now that the mauling has just started and that its going to get worse, much worse as time goes on. I am their enemy. Then I realize that all I have to do - to make the pain stop - is to stop, just quit…

A moment in the life of a California Engineering Contractor in 2009.

This is truly what it feels like with the initiation of all of the new environmental regulations, one on top of another, during a time of extreme recession by a group of unelected officials and bureaucrats that believe that we, the business people who create good, well-paying jobs for the people of this state, are their enemy.

I have followed the creation of some of these regulations over time. It is my belief that someday, when all of the challenges and the litigations are completed, when the truth is separated from the fiction regarding the real environmental impact of our industry on the air, earth and water, it will be stunning to those with the ability to understand just how bad the work of these bureaucrats has been. Their “end justifies the means method” of manipulation of scientific and statistical information as the basis for these regulations will be exposed to the light of day. Good people may ask how could this have happened. It won’t matter. By that time the damage will be done, good contractors will be out of business, forced out, gone broke or probably just quit trying to save what they have from the scavenger forces of the state regulators. Welcome to the new California with its earned and well deserved title as the worst state in the country to try to do business in. Now, how do we fix it?
=======================================================

I'm not alone............................. I'm still screwed but I'm not alone :)

I've been in more than a few meetings with the bureaucrats whom came up with the new CARB laws well before they were finalized. They are a bunch of lying cheating SOB's who could give a shit about the California economy and any job thats needs diesel fuel to make it happen. Their Religion is the environment and they will stop at nothing to protect it.

Just needed to vent too...................

Misery loves company......................... who's next ?

Sleeper CP :)Rant

Save America vote a Democrat out of office :)st

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
I feel your pain. My truck I use to pick up and deliver my customers trailers with, will be illegal to operate in California by 2014 unless I spend several thousand dollars to bring it up date to meet the new CARB laws. :mad: I have just one truck. I don't how a lot of my customers who have large fleets are going to make it.

I hate to say it but there is going to be a a lot of small and medium sized trucking companies that are going to be put out of business or be forced out of California because of these new laws.

The enviro nazis just don't don't give a shit. The big guys will make it but they sure in the hell are not going to just eat the added cost to conduct business in California. They're going to just pass it on to their customers, just like I'm going to have to do. In the end it will be "us" the consumer who will be paying more for our goods and services.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you find a way to stay on top......We could use more guys like yourself....
We (family owned business) had to retire several perfectly good pieces of equipment just this past June so to keep us under the large fleet limit.

We are currently okay until 2013 but just when you think you'll have equipment paid off, BNAG !!!!! ( ;) ) We'll have to spend a ton of money to replace the older paid for equipment with new stuff.

The current law suit the AGC (Associated General Contractors) has filed will be interesting when the facts get exposed on this. CARB flat out made up statistics to put in their reports. Information that was positive to the industry was ignored. Emissions numbers were made-up. When asked to justify their numbers they just said, we can't supply them to you at this time. They put these rules in-place with a made-up census as to the actual amount of equipment in use. The industry believes the number to be exaggerated by 30-45% and that was before nearly 55% of equipment has been parked since 2008.

I was in a meeting with them (CARB) in 2007 discussing the new punitive laws and one of the CARB reps said " Well some of you will have to find something else to do, because you'll be out of business". That was their attitude through-out the drafting of these laws.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/ordiesel/knowcenter.htm

S CP

Jon

" Liberalism is a Mental Disorder" :)st

·
mud slinger
2,012 Posts
" Well some of you will have to find something else to do, because you'll be out of business"

I would have put my fist threw the back of his head!!!! this sucks for you guys. Sorry

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
" Well some of you will have to find something else to do, because you'll be out of business"

I would have put my fist threw the back of his head!!!! this sucks for you guys. Sorry
I came back with ...." and do what, become a state bureaucrat and find some other industry to run out of California?"

They just loved me in those meetings :p

S CP :)Rant

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
I called a business associate this morning to bitch about the CARB rules on our diesel equipment and how costly it's going to be to us to have to replace perfectly good equipment with many more years of life in them. And I'm not talking about a $200 lawn mower. After he lets me vent for a bit he says " Jon rest assured you're not the only one, check your email"

This is what he sent me:

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS:
I am a contractor and a small business owner. I don’t have the ability to draw for you the picture that is in my head right now, so I am going to do my best to describe it. For those of you who are also small business owners, I am sure what I am about to describe may fit your experience to a “T.” For those of you who are not owners, this is a very important description of what it is like to be a small business owner in the construction industry in the State of California in 2009.
MY DREAM:
I am a businessman walking down the street; hands in my pocket, smiling, happy, minding my own “business.” It’s a great day, the sun shining, birds singing, the air is sweet, nice day, a bit of a breeze to keep the heat off. I’m wearing my favorite comfortable clothes and shoes and I’m just feeling good - I may even have a little money in my pocket from all the hard work and long hours I have been putting in for a long, long time in building my business. I think about the unconditional support from my family over the years; all of the important family time I missed as the kids were growing up. It was my exchange for the chance of a better future for all of us. My hope was the reward would ultimately have been worth the sacrifices I made. I think about the good folks that worked for us, and that I have gotten to know over the years. I think about the good people we do business with, and the sacrifices they have likely made. It makes me a little lighter on my feet to know that I have done well by all of these people, working side by side providing them an opportunity to make a good living, giving them and their families the opportunity to share in our prosperity... Our own little piece of the American Dream.
I might even daydream a little about the future - that maybe if we can keep this up, we could even pass something of substance onto our children and to the children of those that have worked with us. We’ll show the next generation that a dream, honest hard work, some education or training, the willingness to take a risk, and a little luck, our children can go anywhere they want to if they really want to. I fall into a deep, contentful sleep...
MY NIGHTMARE
And then out of the shadows of a dark corner comes a group of low-lifes and bullies. These low-lifes have on hoodies, they are big and ugly, with sticks and clubs, rocks and chains. Their names are RECESSION, PERP, ON-ROAD DIESEL and OFF-ROAD DIESEL, STORMWATER, DROUGHT, DUST, GREENHOUSE GAS, CAP AND TRADE and other names I can’t even see yet. They jump me and start bludgeoning me. I cry, why are you beating me? What have I done wrong? I’ve always abided by all the rules, treated others fairly, paid my taxes, and done what I was supposed to do. I plead that I’ve done nothing wrong! I’m not a bad guy, in fact, I thought I was one of the good guys. I try to reason with them, to explain how our business, or any business works, But they won’t listen, they don’t understand and they don’t care. They see me as the enemy. The more I plead, the more they beat me. They all start piling on me. I can’t take it anymore. I am on the ground and they are all kicking me, harder and harder. I want to fight back, but their fight has no rules, no sense of fair play and my resisting only makes them more angry. I am dying... And then I wake up.
My dreams and illusions are all gone now. Maybe it was arrogance that kept me believing I could keep going - dreaming of a future. Now I know in my gut that those dreams of a better future are gone forever. All I know is that it hurts a lot to have your dreams crushed. I don’t understand why they keep doing this to me. I also know now that the mauling has just started and that its going to get worse, much worse as time goes on. I am their enemy. Then I realize that all I have to do - to make the pain stop - is to stop, just quit…

A moment in the life of a California Engineering Contractor in 2009.

This is truly what it feels like with the initiation of all of the new environmental regulations, one on top of another, during a time of extreme recession by a group of unelected officials and bureaucrats that believe that we, the business people who create good, well-paying jobs for the people of this state, are their enemy.

I have followed the creation of some of these regulations over time. It is my belief that someday, when all of the challenges and the litigations are completed, when the truth is separated from the fiction regarding the real environmental impact of our industry on the air, earth and water, it will be stunning to those with the ability to understand just how bad the work of these bureaucrats has been. Their “end justifies the means method” of manipulation of scientific and statistical information as the basis for these regulations will be exposed to the light of day. Good people may ask how could this have happened. It won’t matter. By that time the damage will be done, good contractors will be out of business, forced out, gone broke or probably just quit trying to save what they have from the scavenger forces of the state regulators. Welcome to the new California with its earned and well deserved title as the worst state in the country to try to do business in. Now, how do we fix it?
=======================================================

I'm not alone............................. I'm still screwed but I'm not alone :)

I've been in more than a few meetings with the bureaucrats whom came up with the new CARB laws well before they were finalized. They are a bunch of lying cheating SOB's who could give a shit about the California economy and any job thats needs diesel fuel to make it happen. Their Religion is the environment and they will stop at nothing to protect it.

Just needed to vent too...................

Misery loves company......................... who's next ?

Sleeper CP :)Rant

Save America vote a Democrat out of office :)st
Cliffs? I'm not reading all that rant.

·
Banned
1,019 Posts
What's wrong? Brain can't comprehend that much information or are you just that lazy? No need to answer, its the same end result. Let me guess, your to lazy to wipe your ass in the morning as well.
Nah Charlie I can wipe my ass. I'm not a *******.

·
custom boat lover
498 Posts
I came back with ...." and do what, become a state bureaucrat and find some other industry to run out of California?"

They just loved me in those meetings :p

S CP :)Rant
Ask him how you can get his job so you could help make our life better And he could go some place eles to work knowing he should have a better life himself with knowing the better man would be doing his job in looking out for everyone involved that includes all Business owners, workers, And our state of CA, Because you would not be focused on just one thing [this state] But would focus on everything and everyone, And every one sould be able to work together better with a open mind of how life really works in the real world.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Carb

Catch 22 for us as well. If we don't upgrade, we're out of business. If we spend the money and don't get the return, we're out of business. We are replacing 1999 model Peterbilts with only 400,000 miles for new equipment that cost way too much, and is not reliable. Trying to meet the new standards could put us out of business as well. Trying to compete with the fools waiting untill the last day, and keeping the rates down is jeopordizing(sp) the system. Its not created equal. Harder on the larger fleets.

We are at 53% compliant. Ahead of the game, but unsure if we will be able to keep the lead.

Jerry

·
Will work for Boat
790 Posts
The current law suit the AGC (Associated General Contractors) has filed will be interesting when the facts get exposed on this. CARB flat out made up statistics to put in their reports. Information that was positive to the industry was ignored. Emissions numbers were made-up. When asked to justify their numbers they just said, we can't supply them to you at this time. They put these rules in-place with a made-up census as to the actual amount of equipment in use. The industry believes the number to be exaggerated by 30-45% and that was before nearly 55% of equipment has been parked since 2008.
That's standard left-wing operating procedure.
It's OK to make shit up to "prove" your point, because the ends justify the means.

Climate debate, anyone?

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
Read "Atlas Shrugged" yet, Jon?

Basically it's what happens when all the producers in a society decide to quit when society refuses to reward them anymore.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Carb is after my Concrete pumps too,I had a long talk with this a-hole from CARB he told me it could be a 10k ticket I said if I had 10k we would not have a problem.I also asked why dont you make everyone with old cars change there motors,He said were working on it.I think as a group we need to go to cort on this and stop this BS if the motor was ok when it was sold there should be no problem.Again if you pay off your:|err:(:( equipment and take care of it so it last you get screwed.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts

Basically it's what happens when all the producers in a society decide to quit when society refuses to reward them anymore.

Isn't it crazy how real that book is? Ayn Rand was a genius and all of this is playing out just as she wrote. Good to see someone else paying attention.:)hand

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

Not yet....I'll look for it.

I also asked why dont you make everyone with old cars change there motors,He said were working on it.I think as a group we need to go to cort on this and stop this BS if the motor was ok when it was sold there should be no problem.Again if you pay off your:|err:(:( equipment and take care of it so it last you get screwed.
The question has been asked" What about attrition ? When catalytic converters were put on cars the EPA didn't pull all of the old cars off of the road" The response ' ....individuals don't expect changes like this. Your companies should be able to afford to do this. We all know you'll just pass the cost on"

I could fill a book with the crap our industry was told by these educated idiot's. And then there was the meeting of 8 of us who flew to Sacramento and met with Arnold about this. After the meeting his Chief of Staff told us " You guys have some valid points but the Governor can't be seen to be against clean air you're going to have to negotiate the best deal you can with CARB and the Governor will sign that" We asked him .... could you give us some advice on negotiating with zealots ? Needless to say the Governor wasn't very helpful toward our industry.

I can tell you this, I walked out of that meeting with the Governor with a different feeling about him and it wasn't positive. He was not only talking about our industries use of dirty fuel "diesel" and how it needs to be cleaned up but our industries "carbon foot print" was mentioned more than once. It was a few months later that I learned that Arnold flies home from Sacramento at least 4 times a week on his G-4 so he can be with his kids at night. He's going to lecture us about Clean Air and Carbon footprint and he flies his private jet from Sacramento to L.A. 4 times a week. It was written that in one week his jet adds more pollution to the planet than the 1 car does in a year or two ( I forget the number). His justification was " I buy carbon credits to off-set it" ...... :( Jack-Ass .
http://gliving.com/schwarzenegger-not-so-green-governor/

There are several industry groups that have been fighting this, you should join one they(we) could use your support:

http://www.ciaqc.com/

Sleeper CP

Jon

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
Another "small business owner". I'll be affected too. It's all been said here.

Now, let's kick some a$$. These commisions are created to give "jobs" to staffers of our elected officials. Let's let these elected officials know we are going to vote them out of office. I don't want to give the impression that we want a 'tit for tat', you make them go or we'll vote you out kind of deal. Just "you are being voted out because you have already done these things. I want to ask each candidate where he/she stands on commissions prior to elections and make a big deal about their answers.
I'll come back with a link to a site about CARB. Dr. Bil Wattenberg has a hardon for CARB. And I want to share the link.

Gotta get back to work before they tax my keyboard out of existance.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
This isn't the only new CARB law that has passed. Carriers who operate refrigerated trailers in California have already been hammered this year. All the reefer units must meet the new CARB laws. It went into effect last July but they extended it to January 1 2010. All reefer units operated in California have to be a 2002 model year or newer. If they're running older units, the mod to make them compliant, is about $4k per unit, if they can do it themselves. If they have to send it out to a shop, they're looking at about $5k per unit.

The next law that is going into effect soon is, requiring fleets with 53' vans to run an aerodynamic fairing along the bottom of the trailer to increase fuel mileage. This is about a $2k modification.

The other laws the enviro nuts up in Sac are working on is, making fleets sh*t can their steel wheels on trucks and trailers and switch to aluminum wheels. Because alum. wheels are lighter and will help increase fuel mileage. A steel wheel can be bought for less $100. An aluminum wheel will run you about $300+ a wheel. I've also been told by my tire vendor that they're also working on making fleets run a new more fuel efficient tire. The tire mfg. are developing these new tires now.

At a time when trucking companies are taking a beating because of the lack of freight being moved, they're being forced to shell out out money to perform all of these mods to their fleet. It's just insane. :)sphss

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
It seems as though they know to pick on the little guys. Any industry without a huge lobby group to fight these pin heads will be forced to kneel to the king or go out of business.

Here's an idea. Move out of kommiefornia.

If I can do it in the worst real estate market in modern history you guy's can do it too.

But the weather's great!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts