Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m on a fact finding mission regarding the CALI gun laws as it relates to making your own guns (pistols/rifles/CALI legal AK/AR10/AR15’s)…

Are there California specific laws/statutes that would prevent a California resident from making his own AR15 from a ATF legal semi finished lower receiver (un-serialized) like the rest of the 56 states are allowed to do ( 56, that’s a joke ha ha :happy: ).

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Oh man that ought to be some hunting rifle!!! There ya go trying to ruffle up the feathers of the anti gun nuts by making something that will kill someone (strange never seen a gun jump up off a table and kill someone on it's own!) and skirting their overbearing laws.:shock::happy:

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Contact my buddy at [email protected]. He'll have the answer for you. I know that he just built 5+ AR15s for guys - all legal.
Building with off the shelf parts I.E. fully complete parts with serial numbered lower reciever is one thing, which I have done several of and is legal in CA (so long as you stay inside the local laws about pinning mags etc...)

BUT what Im talking about is truly building with UN numbered parts you finish... In the rest of the country it is perfectly legal so long as you arent cranking out MANY per year at which point you have to have some level of FFL mfg license...

There are provisions in the ATF federal laws that permit you and I to build "onezie twozie" guns from scratch... Im interested in the Cali laws...

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
I am speculating that nothing prevents you from doing a ground up build but once you have a functioning firearm or even a completed lower then it will have to serialized and properly registered with DOJ. I do not know if you can pick your own serial numbers or need to contact DOJ and be issued a serial number to be engraved on your receiver.

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Legally Make your own Gun. - YouTube

This guy kind of breaks it down for Cali residents but sure seems like a gray area and in my opinion getting contacted by LE at a shooting range or out in the desert with a gun that has no numbers or verifiable registration will probably end up making a bad day for you in the end. May or may not get you arrested but your gun might be taken in and checked to see if it has had its numbers altered/removed.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I'm a gun guy, but I have to ask why? Are the parts cheaper? What's the motivation to have a AR15 that can not be registered? Or has no serial number?

Be safe, schick

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
I'm a gun guy, but I have to ask why? Are the parts cheaper? What's the motivation to have a AR15 that can not be registered? Or has no serial number?

Be safe, schick

I guess some guys just enjoy building things themselves from scratch with various parts. They might like a certain barrel or trigger group, etc...and like to combine their favorite parts.

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:D

So maybe I want to build a gun from a raw chunk of aluminum...

And when Im finished, I don't want it anodized black, I want it polished aluminum OR I want to anodize it red or blue...

There is no advantage price wise... BUT IF I build it from scratch, is it really an AR15 OR is it similar to an AR15 just because it shares some of the major components of the AR15???

After all it is my legal right to build a gun from scratch right??? :happy:

The 90% lowers come with a ATF letter showing that they are not a firearm due to the missing steps in the machine work THUS no serial number is required, it's not a gun/firearm as per the ATF letters/documentation...

Somewhere between a raw forging AND the 91% complete the lower becomes a firearm (in this case it is the trigger group pocket/pin holes/safety pin holes)... Before they reach 91% for these recievers they are NOT firearms and individuals can finish them, no FFL required...

IF I set up to build LOADS of them I have to have a class 3 FFL and SN-ize/register the FIREARMs but not if I am building my own target rifles for my own use/target shooting with my own designs/enhancements (like making single shot NON self feeding target rifles)...

I'm just curioius what the Cali laws are relative to the rest of the 56 states :)

Because I can.........................

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These guys are in Oceanside and have some info that might help.Ares Armor Tactical Gear
Legally Make your own Gun. - YouTube

This guy kind of breaks it down for Cali residents but sure seems like a gray area and in my opinion getting contacted by LE at a shooting range or out in the desert with a gun that has no numbers or verifiable registration will probably end up making a bad day for you in the end. May or may not get you arrested but your gun might be taken in and checked to see if it has had its numbers altered/removed.
Yeeep, thats what Im talkin bout... :)

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
I’m on a fact finding mission regarding making your own guns ).
Okaay, I'm not sure where you're going with this, but if you could make me either of these, that would be totally cool .........

Attachments

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Possession of UNregistered California "assault weapons" - Calguns Foundation Wiki

Some interesting points in this link but the key one to keep in mind is "get a lawyer"...LOL..

Cali has penal code sections for possession of an unregistered firearm. Now how this might apply to a rifle that was home built and never required to be serialized or registered according to fed statute would make for an interesting discussion. I am guessing that after paying your attorney 5K or 10K, you might be able to argue successfully to get out of the charge not sure. Would probably wind up going to an appellate court or even the state supreme court if the argument was good enough and most likely end up with revisions in the penal code in Cali strictly prohibiting this and further taking away 2nd amendment rights here. Just my opinion.

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Possession of UNregistered California "assault weapons" - Calguns Foundation Wiki

Some interesting points in this link but the key one to keep in mind is "get a lawyer"...LOL..

Cali has penal code sections for possession of an unregistered firearm. Now how this might apply to a rifle that was home built and never required to be serialized or registered according to fed statute would make for an interesting discussion. I am guessing that after paying your attorney 5K or 10K, you might be able to argue successfully to get out of the charge not sure. Would probably wind up going to an appellate court or even the state supreme court if the argument was good enough and most likely end up with revisions in the penal code in Cali strictly prohibiting this and further taking away 2nd amendment rights here. Just my opinion.
You just made me get a flashback to a video... :)

P.S. My AR15 look alikes aren't "assult rifles" they are "target shooting and hunting rifles" :D

·
Already miss the 310/562
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[4][5][6]

It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock);
It must be capable of selective fire;
It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle;
Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable magazine rather than a feed-belt.
And it should at least have a firing range of 300 meters (1000 feet)
Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being considered as such. For example, semi-automatic-only rifles like the AR-15 (which the M16 rifle is based on) that share designs with assault rifles are not assault rifles, as they are not capable of switching to automatic fire and thus are not selective fire capable. Belt-fed weapons or rifles with fixed magazines are likewise not assault rifles because they do not have detachable box magazines.

The term "assault rifle" is often more loosely used for commercial or political reasons to include other types of arms, particularly arms that fall under a strict definition of the battle rifle, or semi-automatic variant of military rifles such as AR-15s.

The US Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges."[7]

[edit] Assault rifles vs. Assault weaponsThe term assault weapon is a United States political and legal term used to describe a variety of semi-automatic firearms that have certain features generally associated with military firearms, including assault rifles. The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired on September 13, 2004, codified the definition of an assault weapon. It defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine and two or more of the following:

-a folding or telescoping stock
-a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon
-a bayonet mount
-a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor
-a grenade launcher
The assault weapons ban did not restrict weapons capable of fully automatic fire, such as assault rifles and machine guns, which have been continuously and heavily regulated since the National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed. Subsequent laws such as the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 also affected the importation and civilian ownership of fully automatic firearms, the latter fully prohibiting sales of newly manufactured machine guns to non-law enforcement or SOT (special occupational taxpayer) dealers.[8]

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
Cali has labeled just about everything as an assault weapon. I don't agree with the all inclusive restrictive laws in place taking away our 2nd but it is what it is for now. I just hope it does not get worse here or around other parts of the country as you heard in the debate if O gets re-elected he will pursue the ban again.

·
639 Posts
Cali has labeled just about everything as an assault weapon. I don't agree with the all inclusive restrictive laws in place taking away our 2nd but it is what it is for now. I just hope it does not get worse here or around other parts of the country as you heard in the debate if O gets re-elected he will pursue the ban again.
It is pretty clear you have no understanding of the law, have even read the law or looked at the CA DOJ flowchart on assault weapons.

Hey 2MM....sounds like a fun project and I wish I had the talent and equipment to make my own lowers too!!! Post up pics, unless you are afraid that big brother is watching and won't like that you are actually perfectly legal. :D

·
Floatin dirty
4,831 Posts
It is pretty clear you have no understanding of the law, have even read the law or looked at the CA DOJ flowchart on assault weapons.

Hey 2MM....sounds like a fun project and I wish I had the talent and equipment to make my own lowers too!!! Post up pics, unless you are afraid that big brother is watching and won't like that you are actually perfectly legal. :D

Yep, you are totally right. Cali is a very gun friendly state that fully supports everyone exercising their 2nd. Yep my knowledge of California law is minimal. Amazing how I even get by day to day....LOL

1 - 20 of 41 Posts