Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
In the hunt!
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The guy I bought the boat from is being difficult. The boat was registered in AZ and no title in AZ. I got all of that transfered rather painlessly through the Arizona Fish and Game Department.

The trailer was registered in California. It has a California PTI plate and the guy provided the PTI doc that says it is good through 6/30/2015. I need to get this thing titled in Arizona. The seller said that's all he's got - never had a title issued and he is the original owner.

Is there indeed a title in Trailers in California. I know some states don't title trailers (Texas does over a certain weight limit and Florida doesn't at all)

THanks

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
most trailers in CA are "paperless title" just go to dmv website and download a paperless title form. Really not a big deal. He might need to sign it tho.

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
just saw you are in TX. With a bill of sale you should be fine at your DMV. CA doesn't issue paper titles on certain trailers.

·
In the hunt!
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Trying to register/title all in AZ as a non-resident for now. Looking for a place out there, brother lives there, fees are less there etc.

AZ DMV says I need title - that is before I knew what this PTI stuff was. I got the boat taken care of at the AZ Fish and Game Department - easy enough.

The PTI document shows a lien holder. I took care of all that and have a Payoff Authorization to Key Bank and have the cashier check copies to prove it.

Just trying to see if the seller is being more difficult than he has in the past or if this is par for the course for Cali vehicle sales.

·
On The Gas
1,428 Posts
Trying to register/title all in AZ as a non-resident for now. Looking for a place out there, brother lives there, fees are less there etc.

AZ DMV says I need title - that is before I knew what this PTI stuff was. I got the boat taken care of at the AZ Fish and Game Department - easy enough.

The PTI document shows a lien holder. I took care of all that and have a Payoff Authorization to Key Bank and have the cashier check copies to prove it.

Just trying to see if the seller is being a bigger pain in the ass than he has in the past or if this is par for the course for Cali vehicle sales.
California is a title holding state which means if there was a lien (Key Bank) they have the title unless they are a paperless institution. If they have the title, they will send it once funds clear, evan a cashier check made out to them. If they are paperless, they will order a new title in the original owners name and send it to them. You should have the original owner sign an application for a duplicate title for California just to protect yourself. Worst case you can apply for that duplicate title through California if the original owner fails to cooperate.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Because Arizona is a non-title state for boats, sometimes finance companies will attach a lein to the trailer. Hopefully the title is clear on the trailer and you have no problems.

·
In the hunt!
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
California is a title holding state which means if there was a lien (Key Bank) they have the title unless they are a paperless institution. If they have the title, they will send it once funds clear, evan a cashier check made out to them. If they are paperless, they will order a new title in the original owners name and send it to them. You should have the original owner sign an application for a duplicate title for California just to protect yourself. Worst case you can apply for that duplicate title through California if the original owner fails to cooperate.
Just so I got this, let me repeat what I understand:

I paid off the note at Key Bank and the seller signed a Payment Authorization stating for the bank to send me title. Since CALI is paperless and I am sure Key Bank is as well they will either:
1. Send me the title directly
OR
2. Send title back to the orignal owner who is not being cooperative for whatever reason

·
On The Gas
1,428 Posts
Just so I got this, let me repeat what I understand:

I paid off the note at Key Bank and the seller signed a Payment Authorization stating for the bank to send me title. Since CALI is paperless and I am sure Key Bank is as well they will either:
1. Send me the title directly
OR
2. Send title back to the orignal owner who is not being cooperative for whatever reason
Either one of your 2 scenarios could occur. Hopefully the bank pays attention to your payoff instructions and sends you the title. Regardless, AZ usually requires the sellers signature on the CA title before they transfer it in to your name.

The only exception that I have seen is a CA reg 262 (power of attorney) signed by the original owner giving you (buyer) to transfer the DMV paperwork on his behalf. The problem is that that form is a CA DMV version of a "Bill of Sale" and AZ has their own "Bill of Sale" that can be found on the AZ MVD website. They rarely, if ever, recognize the CA version because it is not notarized. The AZ "Bill of Sale" has to be either signed in front of the AZ MVD agent or it has to be notarized with the seller's signature.

Knowing that you were going to register the trailer in AZ I would have secured that AZ MVD "Bill of Sale" to complete the transfer. You can do the transfer in California to obtain the a new CA title. It will cost you sales tax and the $15 transfer fee on the plates. Sales tax is based on purchase price and I think $500 - $1000 would fly.

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,464 Posts
I just went through this as a seller.
A gentleman from Oregon bought our hydro last year. Paperless title for the trailer in CA. (had the hard copy for the boat itself)

I also had supplied him with all of the "necessary" documents for a paperless transfer at the time of sale, but he called me up and said that Oregon DMV would not accept a paperless transfer from CA.
I simply applied on line (CA DMV) for a paper copy, paid like $18.00 or so. Got it a week or so later and FedEx'd it to him in Oregon.

When I bought the boat several years ago, I was given the option of paying for a paper trailer title when I registered it in CA.
I don't know if it is still an option, but if it is I will ALWAYS pay the $15.00 from now on just to have a hard copy in hand.
Saves a lot of trouble in my book.

·
ERECT MEMBER
2,414 Posts
sold mine to a guy in AZ. I had a paperless title (CA), he went to AZ dmv with bill of sale and had no problem

1 - 12 of 12 Posts