Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Blythe, Ca
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SAN FRANCISCO - In a monumental victory for the gay rights movement, the California Supreme Court overturned a voter-approved ban on gay marriage Thursday in a ruling that would allow same-sex couples in the nation's biggest state to tie the knot. Domestic partnerships are not a good enough substitute for marriage, the justices ruled 4-3 in .

Outside the courthouse, gay marriage supporters cried and cheered as news spread of the decision.

The city of San Francisco, two dozen gay and lesbian couples and gay rights groups sued in March 2004 after the court halted the monthlong wedding march that took place when Mayor Gavin Newsom opened the doors of City Hall to same-sex marriages.

"Today the California Supreme Court took a giant leap to ensure that everybody — not just in the state of California, but throughout the country — will have equal treatment under the law," said City Attorney Dennis Herrera, who argued the case for San Francisco.

The challenge for gay rights advocates, however, is not over.

A coalition of religious and social conservative groups is attempting to put a measure on the November ballot that would enshrine laws banning gay marriage in the state constitution.

The Secretary of State is expected to rule by the end of June whether the sponsors gathered enough signatures to qualify the marriage amendment, similar to ones enacted in 26 other states.

If voters pass the measure in November, it would trump the court's decision.

California already offers same-sex couples who register as domestic partners the same legal rights and responsibilities as married spouses, including the right to divorce and to sue for child support.

But, "Our state now recognizes that an individual's capacity to establish a loving and long-term committed relationship with another person and responsibly to care for and raise children does not depend upon the individual's sexual orientation," Chief Justice Ron George wrote for the court's majority.

In a dissenting opinion, Justice Marvin Baxter agreed with many arguments of the majority but said the court overstepped its authority. Changes to marriage laws should be decided by the voters, Baxter wrote.

Why the hell do we even vote in this state if the court overturns everything we vote on. Texas is looking better all the time. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
94 Posts
this shit makes me sick and glad that I moved away from California. Pretty soon those bleeding heart libs will be giving equal rights to fockin child molesters too. This once great country is going to shit.

Speaking of Texas, I'm moving to Austin in Sept. from Havasu, looking forward too it Texas looks like a great place to settle and raise a family...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
It's just non of my buisness, who's porkin who, or who's living with who

Don't know why the gays want this anyway? They are immune from all the divorce 50/50 crap. They already got the domestic partner stuff for ins. etc.etc.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
sound like a bunch of homophobes around here. hell, if they want the punishment of marriage, let em have at it. i've got no prob with it.even voted in our last election to let em get married.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
sound like a bunch of homophobes around here. hell, if they want the punishment of marriage, let em have at it. i've got no prob with it.even voted in our last election to let em get married.
Hee hee.

Agreed, let em have at it.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Who are we to judge how someone else lives their life and whether or not they get married. I thought this issue was steeped in deep religious beliefs, but in religion they say just not lest ye be judged?? Time to become a divorce lawyer, theres gonna be some money to be had soon!

~Brian

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
this shit makes me sick and glad that I moved away from California. Pretty soon those bleeding heart libs will be giving equal rights to fockin child molesters too. This once great country is going to shit.

Speaking of Texas, I'm moving to Austin in Sept. from Havasu, looking forward too it Texas looks like a great place to settle and raise a family...

I agree its Cali sicko's.

But TEXAS and kids don't mix....

I won't take my kids to that kidnapping state!!!!

Johnny

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
It's not so much the issue for me, it's the fact the CA supreme court overruled the will of the people.
That's called JUDICIAL TYRANNY and it's antithetical to the concept of a free state and country.

U

·
0 Posts

Just curious how you relate gay people to child molesters? :)sphss

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
It's not so much the issue for me, it's the fact the CA supreme court overruled the will of the people.
That's called JUDICIAL TYRANNY and it's antithetical to the concept of a free state and country.
i'd call it about time, seperation of church and state;) the christians are the 1's with the probs in this country with abortions and gay marriage. its none of my damn business what another man or woman does with their body as long as it's not harming me or mine :)bulb

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
I agree its Cali sicko's.

But TEXAS and kids don't mix....

I won't take my kids to that kidnapping state!!!!

Johnny
keep on smoking that good stuff ;)
i'd rather raise my kids in texas than cali anytime.at least they'd be raised to judge other's by their integrity and ethics, than the bling on someone's suv or how big their house/mortgage is :p you should travel to texas before knocking it

U

·
0 Posts
keep on smoking that good stuff ;)
i'd rather raise my kids in texas than cali anytime.at least they'd be raised to judge other's by their integrity and ethics, than the bling on someone's suv or how big their house/mortgage is :p you should travel to texas before knocking it

TX is a great place with many great people. The same can be said for CA. It's all about individuals :)

Austin is a favorite :)hand

·
Stihl Kicking
415 Posts
it just bothers me when the majority of people vote something in and then it gets overturned. guess the will of the people don't mean much these days. so much for every vote counts.

U

·
0 Posts
it just bothers me when the majority of people vote something in and then it gets overturned. guess the will of the people don't mean much these days. so much for every vote counts.
I agree. Overturning the will of the people is BS

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
problem is who decides who the proverbial "female" of the relationship is? :rolleyes: and therefore who is entitled to the financial windfall from the divorce?

I mean who is the screwer and who is the screwee? Is it the one that doesn't wear the pants?

An answer to one question just creates more questions?:D:p

1 - 20 of 47 Posts