Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this doesn't get moved to the spam section.

I know there is good talent here and I felt like I should hit-up the fellow v-drive bros before I open up the work to others.

I need a little something made by a machinist. I have my own mill and tools but I want this machined by someone else.

I need a flat plate with dog-bone molds machined into it. The dog-bone shapes are used for making shaped samples for various ASTM tests. I am going to be running a series of resin testing samples with various fillers and etc. through the labs. The dog-bone shape is similar to the one in the link below, but not exactly. I will scan the document later and post it. The mold needs to fit into a vacuum oven as well. This wont be a problem since the outer dimensions are adjustable. I have used the molds from Goodrich before and they are quite simple. I would want about 5-6 of these shapes in a plate which would have a flat plate bolted on to both sides to enclose the dog bone shapes. This doesn't require any fancy material, just a consistent set of dog-bones in the plate. The shapes I need are bigger than the link below. Approximately 6 inches long with equally stretched x-y-z dimensions.

PM me if you can do this...

http://www.poly-flex.com/news12.html

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I make round parts so this is not my bag so to speak. But I'll tell ya, to get a good quote you should do a drawing of what you want. No need for some 3D drawing, just enough info so you only pay for the part and not engineering the drawing too.
Approximately is hard to quote.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Your mill?

What type mill do you have. Is it a CNC? Can you write CNC mill programs?........What you are asking for is a piece of cake on a CNC. Sounds like about 1/2 hour run per plate, and using a program would guarantee the molds were all the same. Where are you located? I know if a couple of job shops, Brian, ("wishuwerehere") here on the boards for one, that could knock those out bang, bang, bang, all day long.......If you, or someone you know, can write the program, stick it on a floppy, it would be a very simple job. Even if you need the shop to write the program the software of today will make short work of a 3D drawing and spit out the program before you could finish a cup of coffee.......1st, what area are you in?.........Then PM Brian or one of the other guys that have the proper CNC equipment........MP

·
Registered
885 Posts
Tell me what dimensions you want and i will draw it in the cad for you for Free. It will take me two minutes. And maybe Brian can run them and his Haus.

Dimensions (see drawings)
W — Width of narrow section =
L — Length of narrow section =
WO — Width over-all, =
LO — Length over-all, =
D — Distance between grips =
R — Radius of fillet =
RO — Outer radius =

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
I wouldn't need a drawing...

the way the part is layed out, all I would need is the proper dimensions to "plug" into the drawing he referred to already.

I sent him a PM around 9, he may have found someone else already.

The program he is looking for is elementary-school easy. The programing/CAD cost for a part like that will be minimal.

Brian

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
the way the part is layed out, all I would need is the proper dimensions to "plug" into the drawing he referred to already.

that's pretty much what I was getting at.

I get drawings that are so bad that a simple part ends up taking forever just figure out what they want. Or worse yet, make it and then find out that's not really what they wanted at all. Both cases end up costing them extra.

·
I don't Member a thing
314 Posts

I sent the CAD file to Brian

Mike, is this program you have Ashlar-Vellum Graphite V8. I am looking for a basic drawing program that is easy to use. I am very tired of hand drafting all my new boat parts and my friend that does my machining keeps making fun of me because it takes me so long to do the drawings (sometimes days) and he whips it up on his computer in a matter of mins. I asked about his program but it is some "super wazoo" deal that is mucho $$$$$ and my system won't run it blah, blah, blah.
Thanks, Chris.

·
"The" masheenist
5,444 Posts
Why don't you just make a simple sketch and let your buddy do the rest?

Brian

Mike, is this program you have Ashlar-Vellum Graphite V8. I am looking for a basic drawing program that is easy to use. I am very tired of hand drafting all my new boat parts and my friend that does my machining keeps making fun of me because it takes me so long to do the drawings (sometimes days) and he whips it up on his computer in a matter of mins. I asked about his program but it is some "super wazoo" deal that is mucho $$$$$ and my system won't run it blah, blah, blah.
Thanks, Chris.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
AutoCAD LT (light) is not real spendy and is a good program to get your feet wet.

I would rather get a good sketch over a poor cad drawing. I just end up with the bad sketches. lol

One of the only outside jobs I do are these big window frames. I hate doing them but they pay cash. And always seem to call when I need some extra. I get this drawing packet from their engineering dept. lol Hands down the worst freaking sketches (that's being really nice) I've ever delt with. They get the grief factor added in. :)bulb

·
Registered
885 Posts
Thanks, Chris.
Chris i have been doing CAD 25 years for sure this is the easiest CAD Program to use. And the most bang for the buck.

http://www.ashlar.com/

Download a demo copy Graphite and try it out. If you want to stop by the shop i will give you some free lessons. I can get you started in fifteen minutes.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Parker machine shop?

Chris i have been doing CAD 25 years for sure this is the easiest CAD Program to use. And the most bang for the buck.

http://www.ashlar.com/

Download a demo copy Graphite and try it out. If you want to stop by the shop i will give you some free lessons. I can get you started in fifteen minutes.
Do you also do CNC work in Parker?.....I have heard so many times "there is nothing in Parker" as far as a machine shop...........OR do you just write programs for others and e mail them out?......Maybe it is just a well kept secret.........MP

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
speaking of CNC, I have a good starter CNC mill that I would like removed from my shop. It's right by the back door so removing it would be easy. Fully tooled (BT30 spindle) with a vice.
If a v driver (or jetter, outdrive guy or gasp even a wackerboy) wants it let me know. I'm not giving it away but it will be priced right if you show up with a forklift to load it.

TR2, if you could use this I would be willing to do some trading.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts