Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you always have to install new lifters with a new cam? I'm running a solid roller and someone told me you can get away with it on a roller if there in good shape.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
I was wondering if you always have to install new lifters with a new cam? I'm running a solid roller and someone told me you can get away with it on a roller if there in good shape.
Roller lifters and roller cams are pretty much interchangeable if everything is in good condition. Make sure your springs are in good condition too.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Roller lifters and roller cams are pretty much interchangeable if everything is in good condition. Make sure your springs are in good condition too.
Not only do they need to be in good shape like Steel mentioned, but they need to be the RIGHT spring for the new cam. More roller lifters are destroyed due to weak or springs that have to low seat pressure as well as the too light spring rate than anything else.

Find out what seat pressure, and rate or open pressure the cam needs and have yours checked, or get the right springs to start with.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure. And I'm glad cause roller lifters are'nt cheap. Ill have my springs checked for the extra lift with the new cam.

·
Some guy
3,645 Posts
If you don't know the history or age of the lifters, it might be worth spending the money to replace them. I am in the middle of rebuilding a turbo engine that someone else rebuilt with used roller lifters,, lasted 4 hours. The needle bearings and pieces of the lifter (that were obviously below the valley screens) made enough of a mess the bottom end and cost an awful lot of money.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not only do they need to be in good shape like Steel mentioned, but they need to be the RIGHT spring for the new cam. More roller lifters are destroyed due to weak or springs that have to low seat pressure as well as the too light spring rate than anything else.

Find out what seat pressure, and rate or open pressure the cam needs and have yours checked, or get the right springs to start with.

Thanks for the info. Ill have mine checked or buy new springs. Haven't got any idea when the last time the heads had any work on them. I got to take it apart in a couple weeks. I'm a body man that usually horse trade with my journeyman mechanics friends. When it comes to my engines.

Would this cam be a good choice for a 10:1 comp 427 with 990 heads?
11-706-9 - Marineâ„¢ Mechanical Roller Camshafts

·
Urban Cougar Trapper
976 Posts
best money spent on a cam would be from C.Straub here on the forums , have a couple friends who got custom cams from him and they are Extremely Happy :))THumbsUp cams out of a catalog are a fix for a well its close enough one shoe fits all type deal , Chris can fab a cam to get maximum performance with what YOU have !

·
Premium Member
1,683 Posts
If you need some help with the combo give us a shout.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts