Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it neccesary to run a cam button for a solid roller set up? What are the benefits?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Yes,
Flat tappet cam lobes are ground on a taper that force the cam back, and the timing sprocket limits it.
Roller cams are not. There is nothing to assure the cam doesn't fore and aft in the engine. Even the smallest amount is hell in the roller, plus any movement will change you spark timing. In extreme cases, the cam can be pushed into the timing cover.

Its not so much a benefit as a necessity.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, what is the best way to determine what length I need. BBC 454 Comp Extreme Energy Cam.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right now has a stock style transdapt cover. I have to change it anyway because a roller timing chain will not clear it. If I go with the Cloyes the button is built in??? Long story, i bought a fresh built 427 and pulled all of the valve train out to put in my 454. This timing chain had a cam button in it, measured .730 seems a little short most I have seen for BBC are .945. I plan replacing the timing chain, cover, button and all. any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Right now has a stock style transdapt cover. I have to change it anyway because a roller timing chain will not clear it. If I go with the Cloyes the button is built in??? Long story, i bought a fresh built 427 and pulled all of the valve train out to put in my 454. This timing chain had a cam button in it, measured .730 seems a little short most I have seen for BBC are .945. I plan replacing the timing chain, cover, button and all. any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks
The button is part of the Cloyes 9-231 cover.

Who told you need a different cover to clear the roller chain? Is this a Gen 5 or 6 454???

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gen 4, it says that on the product description, not sure why. The Cloyes sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for the input.

·
Some guy
3,639 Posts

Thanks
.945" would be with a stock type steel cover,, .730 may work with aluminum, mock it up and see. In some cases a SBC unit works with the aftermarket aluminum covers. Comp and other companies make a composite plastic one that is pretty easy to shave down to get the clearance you want, but also easy to get past your goal and have too much thrust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts