Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm switching from a belt driven waterpump to a cam driven one, Mike Kuhl river rat. My question is by adding a hex drive to the cam will I need to reset the cam end play?

·
Some guy
3,615 Posts
I'm switching from a belt driven waterpump to a cam driven one, Mike Kuhl river rat. My question is by adding a hex drive to the cam will I need to reset the cam end play?
How was the endplay controlled before? If you are changing covers and ditching the cam button, then everything is changed, so you will need to check it and work with it accordingly, right?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How was the endplay controlled before? If you are changing covers and ditching the cam button, then everything is changed, so you will need to check it and work with it accordingly, right?
Yes, I would agree but with the cam button removed and the hex drive attached to the cam, how do you set the end play?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Web site

Yes, I would agree but with the cam button removed and the hex drive attached to the cam, how do you set the end play?
You can go to the Milodon web site for some details when using one of their gear drives and front plate. They show a shim washer that peels off in .003 increments to establish cam walk control. Not sure which front plate/pump mount plate you're using, but it should be quite similar with a bearing in the plate and the hex drive/shim butting up against it... Are you using a bearing/bushing/"block saver" behind the upper gear?
Ray

·
Some guy
3,615 Posts
Which timing cover are you using?

I machine the timing cover to accept a Torrington bearing, based on measurements off the cam bolts. If you end up a bit too snug, it's easy enough to remove some off the 3 cam bolts to get the desired end play.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which timing cover are you using?

I machine the timing cover to accept a Torrington bearing, based on measurements off the cam bolts. If you end up a bit too snug, it's easy enough to remove some off the 3 cam bolts to get the desired end play.

I don't have one yet. I was thinking Enderle, what are you using?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts