Performance Boats Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 364 Posts

·
21' Daytona
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a 112 cam in my blower motor. I've read that the 112's have more EGT's compaired to the 114's ? Is this a true, good or bad ??? If I was to get a new cam made, who would you call ? Am I better off calling a large manufacturer like comp who has a book that says put this cam in, or ???

I know I'm asking for peeps opinions, and that's what I'm after. BTW it's a 521 Ford currently running 8-9 lbs on 92 pump.

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
I'm running a 112 cam in my blower motor. I've read that the 112's have more EGT's compaired to the 114's ? Is this a true, good or bad ??? If I was to get a new cam made, who would you call ? Am I better off calling a large manufacturer like comp who has a book that says put this cam in, or ???

I know I'm asking for peeps opinions, and that's what I'm after. BTW it's a 521 Ford currently running 8-9 lbs on 92 pump.

Get ahold of Cstraub here on the boards. He can set you up. ;)
And yes, typicaly a blown deal (especialy with some good pressure) really likes opening up the lobe seperation (around 116-118 but I'm not a blower or a cam guy). That way, the intake charge that is under pressure doesn't get blown out the exhaust during overlap, thus raising the EGT's (and hurting cylinder fill).......or something like that! :)sphss
:D

·
Registered
3,878 Posts

Call Chet Herbert racing and talk to Chet Or donny Johanson. Both have been grinding cams and racing for a LLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG time. They are in Chino Ca. Phone 909-393-4597. Or you could ask Doug Herbert. You know the top feul guy. But he will just ask his dad.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Gas or Alcohol?
Ultradyne makes some nice stuff, easy on valve train parts.
I would go with a smaller company..more specialized than a bigger company. Do you go to Earl Schibe or a custom body shop? Same thing.
Wags

·
I'm No Expert
3,139 Posts
Get ahold of Cstraub here on the boards. He can set you up.
Agreed. Chris is a great guy... Put up with all my questions and decision making. Have yet to see anybody who was unhappy with the cam he designed for them. Send him a PM or give him a call. Here's his website http://www.straubtechnologies.com/

·
Registered
243 Posts
Is this a Centrifugal or a Roots Blower? Inner Cooler or No Inner Cooler?
It Sounds like a tune up problem, If its a roots blower with no inner cooler you have to much boost for 92 fuel, And your probably adding fuel and taking timing away to make it live, which will in turn make your EGT's go through the roof.
Jay

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Chris only runs about 100, lol his combo sucks baaaaaaddd.:D I dunno, in all my dumb ass asking about a/f ratios, for the most part I've heard over and over, egt temps as far as a tuning guide are way over rated. (I realize that's not exactly what he's askin) BTW he' running a roots type, with an intercooler.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Chris only runs about 100, lol his combo sucks baaaaaaddd.:D I dunno, in all my dumb ass asking about a/f ratios, for the most part I've heard over and over, egt temps as far as a tuning guide are way over rated. (I realize that's not exactly what he's askin) BTW he' running a roots type, with an intercooler.
With an inner cooler you can run 8-9 psi boost with 92 octane, depending on what your comp ratio is, determains how much timing you can run. Less timing Higher EGT's more timing lower EGT's. Too much timing Detonation! There is alot of trade off's When tuning a Blower motor. I never tune using EGT's But they are Important in keeping your Combo safe.

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts

Lobe centers alone don't determine much of anything...it's like evrything else, all about the combination. I'm building a blown 489 BB Chev with a custom hyd roller (blower cam) that's at 112. Does that mean it's right or wrong for your application? No, just showing you that 112 by itself is acceptable in a blower app.

·
steelcomp was here
26,526 Posts
the go to...

Oh, and to answer your question about who to go to, CStraub hands down. I use him exclusively in my business and have nothing but stellar results and customer service.

·
21' Daytona
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many thanks for all your input, just trying to learn more. I don't want to buy a new cam just to buy one, just waqnt to make sure I've got the right one for my application. Reading the 112 had me thinking if what I have is right.

I will follow up with a couple of the peeps listed above and compare notes. Thanks again !

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Well, if that's the case.

Give all the spec's off the cam card and we'll see what people say.
Oh, also include where it's installed.

Let us know what the peeps say too.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts

Is this the engine that Paul Kane built last year?

1 - 20 of 364 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.