Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my buddy has a 04 baja 202 with a 5.0l, he wants to change the cam in it, someone told him that it took a "special" cam, because that motor has variable valve timing, does any one know if this is true or not, how can he find out for sure, it looks like any other standard sbc motor?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Variable valve timing on a pushrod motor??? no it is a standard sbc except for it has vortec heads i'm guessing this is efi? the cam is different on that engine though it is a hyd. roller with a factory cam retainer plate and the cam gear bolt circle is closer together comp cams has a great selection of camshafts for that engine they are under O.E. hyd roller cams first 2 numbers start with 08 but if its efi choose wisely!!!:)devil

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, i was telling him it did not sound right, but he still wanted more input, that is why i asked here, i figured with all the knowledge floating around this place we/he would be golden.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
he would be money ahead to pull the 5.0" at the end of season and find a 350 or a 383 to put in the boat.

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
he would be money ahead to pull the 5.0" at the end of season and find a 350 or a 383 to put in the boat.
Yes, much more to be gained here than trying to beef up the small motor.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Variable valve timing on a pushrod motor??? no it is a standard sbc except for it has vortec heads i'm guessing this is efi? the cam is different on that engine though it is a hyd. roller with a factory cam retainer plate and the cam gear bolt circle is closer together comp cams has a great selection of camshafts for that engine they are under O.E. hyd roller cams first 2 numbers start with 08 but if its efi choose wisely!!!:)devil
Yes ! some of the new LS series push-rod engines from GM have variable valve timing !

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
If an older 5.0 (pre-Vortec) I'd agree that it is kind of waste. Would take almost same $$ as outting together a 350.

However,
A 5.0 Vortec headed motor can make an easy 330+hp with stock shortblock, a better cam, and valvetrain upgrade to handle new cam. Easier with a carb. EFI, well, you'll probably have to tune yourself or find a shop that can program it in the water.

·
steelcomp was here
26,515 Posts
LOL...I see 5.0 and I automatically think Ford.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hallett boy were not talking LS engine here I have built many LS motors and no they dont have variable valve timing!!! :):)punch

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the info, you just backed up what i had told him, he called and talked to the guys at cpperformance, now it is a reprograming of the computer issue, so he is leaving it the way it is:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts