Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am doing a budget build on a little small block Glastron CSS 19 with an Alpha 1 drive. I have a virtually new 260hp GM Target Master 350 laying around that I am putting in it. I also have a fresh set of old school 202 camel hump heads I am planning on putting on just to get a little more hp out of it. (I know there are better heads out there but I have these already and they will be better than what is on there now.) According to my research the 64cc chambers should bump the compression up to approx. 9.1:1. I will be running the stock Mercruiser wet manifolds with through prop exhaust. (At least for now.) I am looking for a cam that will work good but not have a reversion issue. I am looking at the cam in the link and talked to a tech from Comp Cams but he didn't have any definite answers and kept referring to it as a revision issue. Question is will this cam work alright or does someone have a recommendation for a better one? I just want to get the most (dependable) hp out of what I already have. Thanks in advance.

12-236-3 - Xtreme Marineâ„¢ Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I am doing a budget build on a little small block Glastron CSS 19 with an Alpha 1 drive. I have a virtually new 260hp GM Target Master 350 laying around that I am putting in it. I also have a fresh set of old school 202 camel hump heads I am planning on putting on just to get a little more hp out of it. (I know there are better heads out there but I have these already and they will be better than what is on there now.) According to my research the 64cc chambers should bump the compression up to approx. 9.1:1. I will be running the stock Mercruiser wet manifolds with through prop exhaust. (At least for now.) I am looking for a cam that will work good but not have a reversion issue. I am looking at the cam in the link and talked to a tech from Comp Cams but he didn't have any definite answers and kept referring to it as a revision issue. Question is will this cam work alright or does someone have a recommendation for a better one? I just want to get the most (dependable) hp out of what I already have. Thanks in advance.

12-236-3 - Xtreme Marineâ„¢ Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshafts
I would not recommend building much HP in front of an Alpha. They don't like it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am guessing that if I am lucky this combination at best would produce somewhere between 325-350hp so I am not concerned with too much power. I am not trying to build a hot rod and if I didn't have these heads laying around, I would put the motor in stock. However it would be a waste of time and money to just put the heads on with the dinky little cam that is in there now so I am trying to find a cam that will get the most bang for my buck. If I can get an extra 75-100hp for the "out of pocket" price of a cam & lifters.......why not? I am just concerned with reversion issues because of the stock exhaust and hoping to get some feed back from the experts on here because I sure the hell am not one.

·
Registered
307 Posts
General consensus is that the Alpha I will hold up fine with 300 hp, even up to 375 if you show some restraint on take off. What really kills the drives is the low speed torque of a big block or stroker motor.

Doug

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yea, I know, I had already researched all that from several very good drive builders before I considered the up grade and was well aware of what I am getting into. I am by no means new to boating and I fully understand restraint. I was just looking for a little help with cam selection because that is a science in its self that is way over my head and I prefer not to just guess at it. I do appreciate the input though. Thanks.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Yea, I know, I had already researched all that from several very good drive builders before I considered the up grade and was well aware of what I am getting into. I am by no means new to boating and I fully understand restraint. I was just looking for a little help with cam selection because that is a science in its self that is way over my head and I prefer not to just guess at it. I do appreciate the input though. Thanks.
Youll get the most outta the combo with a custom cam, cstraub is who you need to be talking on the cell with and gtn cam from ;) private messagr him and order your cam from him.what lil more you spend on his cam will be worth it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the input and P.Ms. It helps to hear what cams have worked for others. Gives me something to go on. It is appreciated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts