Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i go by picking out what kind of cam i want in my boat.

its a 5.7 merc 1989 alpha one gen one. engine 5.7 roller .020 over and if i can find a set vortec heads.

right now about 46 mph 4300 rpm. bigger better faster

·
Registered
32 Posts
Cam

call don at motor machine in sac he builds some of :)devilcp perfrmance motors and is very noligable he hooked me up with a nice set up on my bb chevy

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
how do i go by picking out what kind of cam i want in my boat.

its a 5.7 merc 1989 alpha one gen one. engine 5.7 roller .020 over and if i can find a set vortec heads.

right now about 46 mph 4300 rpm. bigger better faster
Your prop is too tall....IMHO, let her buck at just a tick over 4600 R's.

What prop are you currently running and what does the boat weigh?

You have to be careful what cam you use because the Alpha I is a dog lower, not a cone clutch like the Bravo I...Sometimes they're hard to get out of gear if too lumpy of bumpstick is used...:)bulb

What gen. heads you looking for?..I can tell you that we made 326 HP at 5100 RPM with a rebuilt '98 5.7 Merc with second gen Vortec's, it's going in a 20.5' carrera Elite open bow with a 1.50:1 Alpha I second gen., and if it don't run over 65 I'm gonna be pissed..:|err

I'll see about getting the cam card this W/E...I have a set of early Vortec's too. ;)

GT :)hand

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont know what my boat weighs but that is what it is a 1989 carrera 205 elite open bow. my prop is 15 1/4 with a 19 pitch. i dont know the differances of the vortec i want them for a 80's roller cam motor gen one. and not aluminium. what do u want for ur heads?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts