Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this part necessay when using a hyd cam? There wasn't one on when I pulled the old cam out.
TIA
jangles

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
No. it is not. BUTT. You will need a cam button for a jet or set cam end play with your waterpump if it is a V-Drive.

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. it is not. BUTT. You will need a cam button for a jet or set cam end play with your waterpump if it is a V-Drive.
It's a v-drive. How do I set cam end play? Is there a how to on here? I looked but didn't find any info.
TIA
jangles

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lets keep all this in perspective here. Jangles is a little tooooooo loose with his terms. Its not a roller.

Why ya bustin my azz? I never said it was a roller...........

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Is this part necessay when using a hyd cam? There wasn't one on when I pulled the old cam out.
TIA
jangles
Well if you pulled out a hydraulic cam and it didn't have any method of
cam retention, and nothing was trashed, and you put another hydraulic
cam then you shouldn't need anything different:)bulb:)bulb.....although if it not roller
it might be a good idea to buy 2....:)sphss.....they don't call them flat tappet for nothing....

tap tap tap

is the sound it makes when it goes
flat flat flat
:)hand

Seems like the flat tappet is deal is on the way out....issues with oil additives and product quality make the extra money for a roller deal
worth it.

Cam goes flat one time, run all that shrapnel through the motor you just spent your last 10 or 1000 dollars to build will wreck your day.
Roller is ready to run..no break in...you will need some kind of button on front and thrust washer/bearing on the back..it's not rocket science...
A good set of rollers might be the last you ever need.

But hey....if your just gona run an old stocker 454 out of a suburban
run it:)devil

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chill out jangles:)hand Never said you did. But you left it out and in todays world, people tend to think roller. Case in point, Evilforce's responses are roller related, and do not apply to flat tappet cams. Just jumped in so other didn't make the same assumtion. Nothing more.

Okay, I'm chilled. Just got back from the 81s club house party. I'm a car motor boat dumbazz but it is finally ready to go back in...........Thanks

Sold a honda bought a? Any ways you have lots of room to talk running an oooooollllldddddssssssmmmmooobbbiiiillleee.......:)grn

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Okay, I'm chilled. Just got back from the 81s club house party. I'm a car motor boat dumbazz but it is finally ready to go back in...........Thanks

Sold a honda bought a? Any ways you have lots of room to talk running an oooooollllldddddssssssmmmmooobbbiiiillleee.......:)grn

You makin fun of my olds???

It's all good....the real funny part that with all things being equal, from idle speed to about 50 that olds motor will wax a full roller 427....Never gps'ed the olds but the numbers i get with the chev are lookin like the olds was running mid 80's...don't quote me on that but the olds will be back in the boat sometime this summer....

And if you insist on running one of them 'might go flat at any time" tappet cams, break it in on and add to oil change a bottle of GM engine oil supplement.
Close to 50 hrs. on the olds cam and it looks perfect.....even with 10/40 from wally world:)hand

·
Living in a cage of fear
16,462 Posts
That isn't the worst part... why he paints them pink I just don't understand....:)hand:)hand

BUT, I do agree with him that all lifters should have wheels on them in today's' engines.

I built literally hundreds of engines as a machinist back in the day with hyd. or solid cams.
Wouldn't even think of it today.

·
Under yo mommas bed
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

You makin fun of my olds???

It's all good....the real funny part that with all things being equal, from idle speed to about 50 that olds motor will wax a full roller 427....Never gps'ed the olds but the numbers i get with the chev are lookin like the olds was running mid 80's...don't quote me on that but the olds will be back in the boat sometime this summer....

And if you insist on running one of them 'might go flat at any time" tappet cams, break it in on and add to oil change a bottle of GM engine oil supplement.
Close to 50 hrs. on the olds cam and it looks perfect.....even with 10/40 from wally world:)hand
Not really, just ribbin ya. I had a 67 442 back in the day and she was pretty damn quick til I wrecked it............They do need more after market go fast parts tho.....;)

That isn't the worst part... why he paints them pink I just don't understand....:)hand:)hand

BUT, I do agree with him that all lifters should have wheels on them in today's' engines.

I built literally hundreds of engines as a machinist back in the day with hyd. or solid cams.
Wouldn't even think of it today.
Maybe it's to match his pink Tou tuo......:)grn This is a buget motor to see if I even like this boat. If I do I'll start another build and put this one in a cheap jet to unload the hull...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts