Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much cam shaft does it take to make max power @ 6100 in a13.5:1 555 with 350 canfields and 2/750's I know the heads are big but that's what I've got.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its @ 5800

It's turning a Aggressor A with an inducer 5800 now I just think the right cam might give it a few more hundred rpm's

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
It's turning a Aggressor A with an inducer 5800 now I just think the right cam might give it a few more hundred rpm's
V,

To help target your needs, another question or two may be.... Do you know where your power curve is now, what are the current camshaft specs and cranking cylinder pressure?

Gear

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
none of the above

The cam in it now is like 272/276. .700/.700 110/106in don't know any of the pressures. I was going to lower the compression but I desided to just try another cam. Gear I guess I just need call around.
Grady

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
The cam in it now is like 272/276. .700/.700 110/106in don't know any of the pressures. I was going to lower the compression but I desided to just try another cam. Gear I guess I just need call around.
Grady
Out of curiousity, what RPM do you figure your current cam would make max power if it was on a dyno?
I could be mistaken, but you could be trying to force your "wants and desires" off on a camshaft. Not so sure moving the power band UP with a longer camshaft is going to help you increase your RPM over what you're currently spinning it with the current setup. Assuming the "272/276" is at .050.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
over camed

I'm thinking it's over camed. Just guessing I think that cam would max out at 6700 maybe????? I'm thinking 260/266 .700/710 cut on a 114 LS but I don't know

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I'm thinking it's over camed. Just guessing I think that cam would max out at 6700 maybe????? I'm thinking 260/266 .700/710 cut on a 114 LS but I don't know
Well I can't say I totally agree with the LSA(unless it was blown) but at least your thinking of lowering the power band not raising it, which tends to be the normal thought. With those heads and that cam, with the a set of 850s or 950s, I'd guess the came could make power to 7000 easy. Just a guess, but there is already more cam and head there than your spinning the engine.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
If you have it in your hand I think I would try it. Your other cam had a 108LSA ground 2* advanced. I think I would try installing that one maybe 4. But thats JMO.
Not sure it will increase your RPM any. You may very well be stuck where you are by the impeller cut and the boat. But I think it will move the peak down closer to where your spinning it. Right now your at the bottom of the cams curve and you can't climb up the curve where the peak would occure due to the load on that combo.
But I have no idea if the power at 5800 will be more or less with that cam. You need somebody with more cam smarts than me to tell you that. But I think you're on the right track in that you currently have more cam than you can use.

If it was in my boat, I would change gears and let the engine spin a little. But that easier and cheaper than a impeller cut, and alot less final.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks

Thanks GN I've been told to just put an A/B in it let it eat. But don't want to loose any hole shoot and I have one now. Want cake and eat it too

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Steve
402 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong. Won't an A/B cut impeller give you a little bit quicker hole shot & a few more RPM on the big end compared to an A cut? Only way I can see it hurting the hole shot would be if it started cavitating out of the hole. But you said you've got an inducer in it, so that shouldn't be an issue.
:yes:

·
Premium Member
5,115 Posts
Over the winter Grady I'd take her to a dyno with both cams and see where the chips lay and cut the impeller to match. With a good pump your gonna holeshot just fine and gain sum speed. Thats just the way I have done things and it worked out pretty good for me.

IMO your boat rocks, I'd just enjoy it :cool:

·
"Need For Speed"
1,210 Posts
Over the winter Grady I'd take her to a dyno with both cams and see where the chips lay and cut the impeller to match. With a good pump your gonna holeshot just fine and gain sum speed. Thats just the way I have done things and it worked out pretty good for me.

IMO your boat rocks, I'd just enjoy it :cool:
X2. This will take the guess work out of the equation:)

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
X2. This will take the guess work out of the equation:)
I have to agree. Trying to get the engine to match you impeller with a camshaft is not going to get it done. If your trying to get the lower the power band into a range you current impeller is dictating that one thing. But trying to gain RPM with a given impeller with nothing more than a cam change is probably not going to happen.

Cars and V drives are little easier to match the gear and prop to the engines power. Jets seem like you need to KNOW the engines power and cut the impeller accordingly.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dyno

I hear there is a guy over in east Texas with a very conservative dyno that knows a pretty good bit about jets.
Grady

1 - 20 of 42 Posts