Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 460 in my 77 charger and I want to buy an old running 454 and rebuild it and drop it in my boat. Can it be done or is a whole different block? Any info would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
same block, but different internals with different tolerances. if you think about a car, in normal driving you cruise around 1000-1500 rpms around town, and like 2k-2500 on the freeway. most boats get on plane around 3k rpms. if you take a car motor and slap it in a boat... itll work, but you're taking a chance on longevity. marine intake manifolds are usually open plane for high rpm, whereas a car intake manifold is dual plane for low rpm torque.

whats wrong with the 460? why not put the motor swap funds into a nice rebuild and some upgrades?

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
I have a 460 in my 77 charger and I want to buy an old running 454 and rebuild it and drop it in my boat. Can it be done or is a whole different block? Any info would be appreciated thanks.
Sure it can be done. Same block, you will need to set it up with a little more clearance. Better oilng system, and upgrade a few components. Depending on how hard you plan to hammer on it.

·
Registered
611 Posts
When you say you have a 460, I'm assuming it's a Ford. If you plan on swapping in a 454, it will involve quite a bit of extra expense. You'd need to change motor mounts, pto, and exhaust. Then you need to make the 454 marine ready. The 460 Ford is a great engine with huge potential. You can build a 521 or 545 ci for fairly cheap (the same or less than a 496 Chevy). Popular Hot Rodding built a 521 (2 bolt mains) that made 775hp on pump gas for just over $9000 buying everything from carb to oil pan to MSD ignition including Kaase aluminum heads. There are a lot of people who will try to tell you that it is cheaper to build a Chevy, but they are wrong. It used to be, but there are several companies making stroker kits and even AFR is going to start making performance heads for them. I was raised a Chevy man (I will be building a Nova with a 496/6spd for my next project) but the more I learned about 460s the more I respected them as not only a viable option but in my opinion, they are superior to the Chevy. Plus because Ford put them and 429s (same block) in cars, trucks and vans into the 90s, there are millions of cores (keeping the price cheap!).
Here is a link to High Flow Dynamics, check out the comparison between Ford and Chevy blocks. You don't need any grinding to build a 545! Try that on a Chevy without a $2000 block!

Advantages of Ford Over Chevy

Paul Kane from High Flow Dynamics is one of the 460 gurus out there and he is a boater! (LakesOnly on PB, SCJB).

Scat Engine Rotating Assemblies 1-95105BE - SummitRacing.com 545ci Ford kit

Scat Engine Rotating Assemblies 1-91360BE - SummitRacing.com 489ci Chevy kit (one of the biggest you can go with 454 block) sure it's $133 less, but you'll spend that $133 or more on extra machining for this kit to fit.

If you are dead set on doing a swap to a Chevy, let me know. I might be interested in buying your 460 if the block is good :happy:

·
Registered
611 Posts
A 460 can also be a chevy. 454 .030 over =460 and change
True, just hoping to save a 460 Ford owner from being "convinced" that Fords are "junk" lol.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Sure it can be done. Same block, you will need to set it up with a little more clearance. Better oilng system, and upgrade a few components. Depending on how hard you plan to hammer on it.

What you mean? didn't someone in here say, "they took out there stock BB Chevy out of there Suburban, put it in there 18' Bubble deck Bahner and run 84 mph. :)eh:)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Having Bostick build my new 466 ford at the moment...
Hell Yeah!!! :))THumbsUp I'm going to have him build my 521 (hopefully next winter).

·
Registered
985 Posts
A worn street motor is fine in a boat. Hell, the clearances are already wider then assembly... After 100k miles fock it. Slap that bitch in and drive that biotch like you.stole it. It's only money, right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts