Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Superstock Sprint Boat
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to bring back the original finish of my headers if possible.
They are Stainless and are all individual tubes that come apart easily I used to polish them to a mirror finish but after a weekend of racing they needed to be done again.
In retrospect it wasn't that bad to keep them nice.
I had them coated and they looked great for about one season then they need to be redone$$
Can the coating be removed without damage?

Thanks for any suggestions...MD.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
They sand blast it off, so there would be a lot of work to restore a polish finish...

Joey Cucci is trying out a black finish that is supposed to be more durable. So far, none of the coatings have lasted on my headers.

·
Superstock Sprint Boat
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They sand blast it off, so there would be a lot of work to restore a polish finish...

Joey Cucci is trying out a black finish that is supposed to be more durable. So far, none of the coatings have lasted on my headers.

Thanks for the input,
I was hoping someone knew of a chemical / dip?, Soda Blasting? or a something along those lines that could take it off without roughing up the tubing.
I have a Glassbeader that might work just trying to do it right if theres a better way...
if not I'll probably just have them re coated.

·
Administrator
11,648 Posts
Might be some other media besides sand that would not damage material, I know they blast with all sorts of stuff these days.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Might try dry ice blasting, there is a place near me that does it. Let me kow if you want me to check it out, if it would work they may know someone in your area.

·
Registered
329 Posts
mike, joey they have been blasted already to you will need to redo or have sanded and polished out big job but it can be done. After they are polished chrome or stainless we can apply a ceramic clear help bluing or discoloration. we can sell you the clear and you can apply yourself.

·
Superstock Sprint Boat
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,
I guess I'll just try one tube and see what happens.
Phil B. Gave me a lot of sh1t when I had them coated...Man I hate when he's Right! (which is like Always..:D)

Later, MD.

·
Registered
329 Posts
mike i didnt mention that i think the ceramic will help prolong the life keeping the heat moving out the header also discoloaration of the ceramic does not mean it has failed as long as its therer its working. Not trying to sell anything just want to help

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I just switched mine from silver to black ceramic coat, and the shop that did mine burned off the old ceramic in an oven. They said all the silver had to come off before they went black.

·
Superstock Sprint Boat
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try polishing the coating with something like mothers and a rag. It worked like a charm for mine.
I wish it was that easy,I tried several different compounds/polish-
There dead flat grey and will not come back to a shiny finish.
Like Joey C. said the coating is still intact but I just don't like how they look thats all.
I've had them re coated three times and they look great each time for about 6 races...
Maybe theres been some improvements with the coatings lately, it has been a few years since the last time mine were done.
I wish I had a picture of what they looked like before, Polished Stainless like a mirror that was Bitchen!
Thanks,MD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts