Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a Spectra 20 and I have 3 gear boxes to choose from, I have 2 Champions one with 4's and the other with 10's and a C500 with 29's. I am running a BBC with basic power, 400 to 450 hp. My buddy has the same boat a little heavier actually (old coast guard boat) with similar power and he runs teh Champion with 4's, pulls skier great not a race boat but great cruiser. My intension is to build a nice cruiser that I can add soem big power to later. Would I be kiling any performance trying to run the 29's? Have had 22's in a 19' vdrive and had no issues but not sure how much the 29's change things. any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
with decent power,and an average size prop, 29's in that size boat are pretty tall. You could probably pull it off if your running a t-400, but a velvet drive wont give you any lowend advantage.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
15% gears would be the proper choice.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
with decent power,and an average size prop, 29's in that size boat are pretty tall. You could probably pull it off if your running a t-400, but a velvet drive wont give you any lowend advantage.
This seems about the only option at this point for that tall of gear. With the trans, you can run 1st or 2nd with this motor. WHEN you add big power later, you still have 1st and 2nd for wake zones and docking. Win-win-win.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have a 22 Schiada V-drive with a 502 HP 502 with 567 TQ and run 29's in a C-500 spinning a 12x15 3 blade Menkens. You can always prop down to get where you wanna be but in my experience these gears are pretty tall for this set-up. I'm leaving them in for the same reason you are-bigger power down the line. For now I am just going to play with diff. props and try to get it breathing better with some better exhaust.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input gentleman, I really appreciate your thoughts and advice, what type of power would I need to be able to utilize the C500? we will do 95% skiing with this thing and we like to ski with two, so i definatly do not want to gear this thing where I can't get the skiers out of thw water or have to drag them, that is just embarrasing. And I am not a racer so looking at 900 hp is not my idea of bigger power, but some where around 650 and dependable would be what I am looking to build. I was also just looking at the mounts on the boexs, I have some for the Champion that are the same bolt pattern as the c500, i think this is telling me to run it with the Champion now and then replace it later.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
In my DiMarco 21, same bottom. It took 850 hp to run 29's. You would be far ahead by using the C500 and changing gears. Yes, the mounts are similar but the center lines of the shafts are not. Champions are 10* also, I think. Post up pics of the Champions if possible.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, 850 hp is not in my view, I may be pissing in the wind with the c500 and these gears. I bought the box 5 or 6 years back from a reputable shop here in So Cal, it was a gift for my uncle and he never used it and then sold his Scihiada. He just gave it back to me this weekend and i started thinking about running this box, originally I thought the thing had 22's but after playing with it yesterday, 4 revolutions on the input is more than 5 on the output.
Steveo, I wasn't thinking about center lines on the boxes, just not putting more holes in my new stringers. I think I am going with the Champion with 10's, unless there is anyone with a c500 and 15's looking to swap :) Here are a few shots of the Champion box, they really are a nice looking unit and it is what came in the boat from Spectra.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
OK, the older Champions are 12% I think and centerlines should be close. For what you want to to do for the least amount of money, use the Champion with 10% gears. If that was what was in it originally, stay with it. Shaft centerlines determine the "proper" height of the engine and the amount of off angle deflection of the input driveshaft. Propshaft to v-drive alignment is first, everything else follows. Questions?, call me anytime Steveo 714 579-7857.

·
New here
4,219 Posts
So I know the trans is adding weight, but wouldn't most EVERYONE want three speeds in cruiser? My old hydro with 427/tunnel ram never needed gears for the TWO PEOPLE that it would seat. But for a cruiser with varying loads 1 to 6 people, zero to three ice chests, chairs, canopy, etc., etc., pulling skiers, tubes, whathaveyou - - would the trans just be the cat's ass?

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
So I know the trans is adding weight, but wouldn't most EVERYONE want three speeds in cruiser? My old hydro with 427/tunnel ram never needed gears for the TWO PEOPLE that it would seat. But for a cruiser with varying loads 1 to 6 people, zero to three ice chests, chairs, canopy, etc., etc., pulling skiers, tubes, whathaveyou - - would the trans just be the cat's ass?
That's funny. You have a 3 speed in that 30fter with 400 HP?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
New here
4,219 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts