Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 14 more that match and a custom cam that goes with them. Hahaha.
These by far are the worst set I or anybody else thats seen them have ever seen.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
You see enough of them on here to realize it is more and more common, and the results are all pretty much the same. Some, depending on the owner/builder are even worse. Like the continued to run the thing long after it was all over. When the valves no longer open, and the motor stops, then they are shocked to see the lifter concaved and broken. DUH!

Curious Motor Monkey, how long did that take?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Bostick Racing Engines
1,063 Posts
Somebody needs to come up with a flat tappet with a removable botto so you can replace it, cahnge the cam and try it again......and again, and again.
With damn near every single flat tappet that has ever been sold or ever will be sold going flat, I am sure glad that I am too hard headed to recognize this undeniable fact and haven't had any issues... Guess it's like Wild E. Coyote... as long as he didn't look down when he went off the cliff, he was ok.

I think I'm gonna build another engine this weekend with a flat tappet just to be an asshole... perhaps every time a flat tappet is used a kitten dies.,:wink2:

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Oh stop beating yourself on the chest:wink2: I bet more than a couple falt tappets are successfully broken in every single day across the country. I bet a couple more go falt as well.
Sometimes I have to wonder how much of it is the cam/lifters, or the oil, or the person and the break in procedure. Its why I ask if the cam grinders were backing many of the cams that get returned.

The last flat tappet I ran I used Isky 8005A springs which is a pretty stout flat tappet spring, and had no problems. Of course it wasn't some insane .600 plus lift, with some insanely fast flank

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
With damn near every single flat tappet that has ever been sold or ever will be sold going flat, I am sure glad that I am too hard headed to recognize this undeniable fact and haven't had any issues... Guess it's like Wild E. Coyote... as long as he didn't look down when he went off the cliff, he was ok.

I think I'm gonna build another engine this weekend with a flat tappet just to be an asshole... perhaps every time a flat tappet is used a kitten dies.,:wink2:
:)hand lol

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Oh crap!! Now what do I do with the flat tappet hydraulic cams in my garage with matching " broken in " tappets??? Should I just toss them in the idiot pile or save for another build??? I mean no offense to the people going thru this crap these days! to make this stuff hold together with the lack of quality in workmanship these days its tough enough then toss in the crap oil on the market and its even harder. Mark

·
524 Posts
Solid lift cams

I must be doing something wrong, I’ve run solid flat tappets cams like forever or least the early 80’s with lift up to 650 / RPM’s greater than 7500 and have never experienced this type of carnage, its just crazy to see this, but then I use Schneider Cams and lifters and follow their installation instruction, maybe thats the secret. Steve

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I must be doing something wrong, I’ve run solid flat tappets cams like forever or least the early 80’s with lift up to 650 / RPM’s greater than 7500 and have never experienced this type of carnage, its just crazy to see this, but then I use Schneider Cams and lifters and follow their installation instruction, maybe thats the secret. Steve
I run alot lower lift and rpm but if you have something that works treat it like a sore dick and dont screw with it! I would love to know who schneider uses for tappets, I have a pretty good idea but if you know enlighten me! Probably the same one I have used since the demise of johnson! Mark

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I must be doing something wrong, I’ve run solid flat tappets cams like forever or least the early 80’s [HR][/HR]with lift up to 650 / RPM’s greater than 7500 and have never experienced this type of carnage, its just crazy to see this, but then I use Schneider Cams and lifters and follow their installation instruction, maybe thats the secret. Steve
Well duh. Been living in a cave since then?

·
524 Posts
I run alot lower lift and rpm but if you have something that works treat it like a sore dick and dont screw with it! I would love to know who schneider uses for tappets, I have a pretty good idea but if you know enlighten me! Probably the same one I have used since the demise of johnson! Mark
Have no idea, never asked them…Maybe Crower……………………………………………………………just kidding

1 - 20 of 31 Posts