Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a GM crank & rods...I will have to see if I can zoom in on the numbers. It is a pic I took a while ago when I was putting the engine back together and putting on the turbos.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
crank

You should be able to tell pritty easy cast will have a small line were it was cast and a forged crank will have a wide forging line i think its by one of the rod journals back by the oil pump.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The pistons are forged. I replaced them when I had the engine rebuilt since I knew I was going to be putting a banks system on it, or at the least NOS. I did NOS for a little while, and then decided to do the banks.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Not unless GM has already started casting cranks in China. It has "GM" on the rear counter weight.

Cast GM crank, 3/8 rods, and cast (possibly hyper) pistons, all stuffed in what appears to be a perfectly good 4 bolt block:rolleyes:
Didn't see the GM tell i really blew the pic up...But it won't be long before the Chinese start casting replacement cranks with GM markings

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
I wouldn't mix turbos with a cast crank and 3/8" rods.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I wouldn't mix turbos with a cast crank and 3/8" rods.
geez Steve, I didn't even see where he said he was going to put turbos on that thing. I did read where he said he NOS's some.

Turbos a cast cranks are the best of freinds, but they play together better than a roots blower. The snout simply can't take much abuse. As for the 3/8 rods, they are an RPM thing. They will live just as long as the 7/16 rods up to a point, and even then it will depend on the bolts. The cast crank is good to 500HP easy and the rods will still be intact before the crank fails from low RPM torque.

Not my first choice in a turbo assembly, but I guess in depends on the nut behind the wheel as to how long it lives.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am not a 'boost always on'' kind of guy. Actually, I have only put it to the floor once...it does help get skiers out of the water though.

I would really like to build something with a stouter bottom end after this season though.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
If you limit boost to 5 lbs. you might get thru the season. Cast crank, 3/8 rods and SRPpistons will explode with any serious boost!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts