Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
NorCal HotBoats
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you get a smiley face.. :)

I guess what i meant was the jet says "Makai" or something similar on the dash, so i was wondering what that meant.. Hawaiian, Kona, Tahiti, etc.. is Makai just another brand.?

About the Cruiser, i guess i just wondered what it was because I cant tell anything with the cover on it.

Truthfully i wanted do an image search for for the names to get better pics off the same boats.

Thanks for the effort though. ;)

·
Registered
176 Posts
The smaller one appears to be a Kona or possibly a splash. If I remember correctly, Makai was the name for one of their 18’ models. The cruiser is not a Campbell. Too much Vee in the bottom and the lifting strakes at the bow are wrong. Campbell had about a 10 degree bottom (this one looks closer to 15), strakes were parallel, stopped short and did not come together at the entry of the bow. My guess is a Spectra 24, or again a splash. There is also a difference in the step of the deck of the Campbell and Spectra. Campbell had 3 flat areas on the front step (later models had the 3 front windows) and the Spectra had only 2 like most other cruiser. Trailer make could also help identify the boat as Spectra. Most, but not all, Spectra’s came with a Fotografix (SP?) trailer. Many people think the Spectra was a splash of a Campbell; that is not a correct. But, one of the founders of Spectra did work for Campbell back in the day when all Campbell’s were made of wood. Spectra was based on the Campbell look, but had a bottom with more Vee to handle offshore running.

·
NorCal HotBoats
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are there no HIN #'s???
I'm sure there are, but i haven't seen these boats in 25 years. lol
(I was 10 years old last time i seen them)

The smaller one appears to be a Kona or possibly a splash. If I remember correctly, Makai was the name for one of their 18’ models. The cruiser is not a Campbell. Too much Vee in the bottom and the lifting strakes at the bow are wrong. Campbell had about a 10 degree bottom (this one looks closer to 15), strakes were parallel, stopped short and did not come together at the entry of the bow. My guess is a Spectra 24, or again a splash. There is also a difference in the step of the deck of the Campbell and Spectra. Campbell had 3 flat areas on the front step (later models had the 3 front windows) and the Spectra had only 2 like most other cruiser. Trailer make could also help identify the boat as Spectra. Most, but not all, Spectra’s came with a Fotografix (SP?) trailer. Many people think the Spectra was a splash of a Campbell; that is not a correct. But, one of the founders of Spectra did work for Campbell back in the day when all Campbell’s were made of wood. Spectra was based on the Campbell look, but had a bottom with more Vee to handle offshore running.
That IS some good info..
Thanks a lot.

I am definitely more interested in the jet.. but the info on the V-Drive is great too.!!
I'll do some research on Splash/Kona "Makai"
And yea, i dont have any info regarding trailer, HIN's, etc.. so i can only go off of what we see.
Thanks again.

·
Team CJ460
2,191 Posts
ithe top seems to big to mee to be a spectra xs 24. cambell had the double hump deck that sometimes had a drrivers **** pit

·
NorCal HotBoats
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the red one looks like a Kona, I have a yellow 78 on the back property
that looks just like it except the dash by the steering wheel.
Yea the dash is what throws it all off, its not like anything i know of.

Here is are two Kona "Makai" boats for sale.. the 78 definitely looks different, but probably just newer, without a Berk, & with a swim step..
I wish i could email the other guy for more pics. :)st

76-77, No pic - http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/1371369410.html
78 with pic - http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1978-KONA-MAKAI-95363793

Anyways thanks for the info guys, i just took a shot in the dark that maybe someone would take one look & KNOW for sure exactly what they were.

If i get another wild hair i'll make a post in the Jet / V-Drive sections to clarify.

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts