Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tearing down a run out Berk pump. The bearing sounds like its filled with gravel when I spin the shaft. I can't seem to get the H bar/U joint assembly off the shaft. With the condition of the bearing, I'm wondering if the prior owner ran this thing just short of seizing up and the H bar is "hammered" onto the splined part of the shaft. If it comes down to saving one or the other, I'm much more interested in saving the H bar as opposed to the shaft. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'm tearing down a run out Berk pump. The bearing sounds like its filled with gravel when I spin the shaft. I can't seem to get the H bar/U joint assembly off the shaft. With the condition of the bearing, I'm wondering if the prior owner ran this thing just short of seizing up and the H bar is "hammered" onto the splined part of the shaft. If it comes down to saving one or the other, I'm much more interested in saving the H bar as opposed to the shaft. Any suggestions?
Chances are the pump shaft splines are twisted or galled which is very common ,I'm thinkin , unbolt the driveline from the engine,pull the pump the bowl and take the impeller off, remove the woodruff key , packing ears, and remove the bearing cap , carefully push the shaft assy out the front with the driveline attached and use a remove the driveline out of the boat (this will definatley depend on the type driveline and the method could vary) call if you need coaching check your PMs for a number Tom

PS better plan on double checking engine crank thrust clearance as well as a stuck yoke/Drive line can create problems there ..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts