Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jim Lange stated in one of his posts awhile back that the Canyon Flats were either a splash of or built out of the Dimarco molds (don't remember which), they definitely look very similar. So I've always wondered, is a Canyon a very refined version of a Dimarco or are they completely different? :hmmm:

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Here's what Mettler told me.
He worked at Hondo for years, then after Irv and Peggy got divorced he worked for Peggy at Hondo for a while. He left there and he and Sunny DiMarco built a mold off a TR-2 Cole. He said they took a some rocker out of the bottom. This became the Dimarco mold. They built some boats and at some point Wayne bought the mold and started Canyon. He built boats out of this mold a couple years, then built a new mold around 1982, because he was having to do quite a bit of blueprinting on the bottoms..
He also told me that the first 6 or so boats he built out of the original DiMarco mold he used DiMarco serial numbers as he was waiting on the state of California to issue his numbers.....late 79, early 80.

Just what he told me.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what Mettler told me.
He worked at Hondo for years, then after Irv and Peggy got divorced he worked for Peggy at Hondo for a while. He left there and he and Sunny DiMarco built a mold off a TR-2 Cole. He said they took a some rocker out of the bottom. This became the Dimarco mold. They built some boats and at some point Wayne bought the mold and started Canyon. He built boats out of this mold a couple years, then built a new mold around 1982, because he was having to do quite a bit of blueprinting on the bottoms..
He also told me that the first 6 or so boats he built out of the original DiMarco mold he used DiMarco serial numbers as he was waiting on the state of California to issue his numbers.....late 79, early 80.

Just what he told me.....
Great post, thanks for the info.

So then Carter Reid acquired the mold in late 80's from what I've heard and then Mettler got it back for a bit and then the glory days of heads up flatbottom racing came to a close (but that's another topic).

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
Great post, thanks for the info.

So then Carter Reid acquired the mold in late 80's from what I've heard and then Mettler got it back for a bit and then the glory days of heads up flatbottom racing came to a close (but that's another topic).
Carter Reed ended up with Canyon in late 88 maybe early 89 or so. I bought a boat from him in late 89 and it was about the 10th flat he built. He did a bunch right in there.. We had Wayne come to our shop to rework the boat in 92 or so and said there was still some disagreement on if he was paid... I heard he ended up with the molds later but don't know anything for sure after he was at our shop...

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Carter Reed ended up with Canyon in late 88 maybe early 89 or so. I bought a boat from him in late 89 and it was about the 10th flat he built. He did a bunch right in there.. We had Wayne come to our shop to rework the boat in 92 or so and said there was still some disagreement on if he was paid... I heard he ended up with the molds later but don't know anything for sure after he was at our shop...
David,
Just curious, how would the mold you're boat came from in 89 compare to what would have been laid up In the early 2000's...I have zero interest in names and who did what.

When I bought my boat I sourced a bunch of you guy's and the recurring theme was how refined the Canyon was, I kind of take that to mean it has been tweaked over the years.

This is solely for my own curiosity.

Thanks

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
David,
Just curious, how would the mold you're boat came from in 89 compare to what would have been laid up In the early 2000's...I have zero interest in names and who did what.

When I bought my boat I sourced a bunch of you guy's and the recurring theme was how refined the Canyon was, I kind of take that to mean it has been tweaked over the years.

Thanks
I can't remember the whole story on your boat, but pretty sure it came out of the same Canyon molds as mine when Joey and his dad had them. Nearly positive it was an early RGR but can't remember for sure. I have Bob's number and maybe I'll give him a call if he doesn't see this thread and answer himself. I looked at your boat before you bought it. Bob's a friend and your boat is much lighter, newer and in better shape than mine is. Glad it found a good home with you though...
To be honest, Canyon's aren't really that good, it's just they seem to attract the better drivers.... it's all about the driver, not the boat, remember that. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
I can't remember the whole story on your boat, but pretty sure it came out of the same Canyon molds as mine when Joey and his dad had them. Nearly positive it was an early RGR but can't remember for sure. I have Bob's number and maybe I'll give him a call if he doesn't see this thread and answer himself. I looked at your boat before you bought it. Bob's a friend and your boat is much lighter, newer and in better shape than mine is. Glad it found a good home with you though...
To be honest, Canyon's aren't really that good, it's just they seem to attract the better drivers.... it's all about the driver, not the boat, remember that. :rolleyes:
Thanks, not so much asking about my boat but more along the lines of the evolution of the hull itself....again, just curious.

Almost feel bad for buying such a nice boat and then making it disappear, it's a long story......shoulda, woulda and coulda.

You lied to me....if I remember right you said the boat would make me look good.

Back on track....still have a way's to go but it's getting done.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
David,

Thanks
My oldman has the first Felcons/Mettler boat.. It's a dream to drive!!! That thing truely shows what weight does for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could take some pictures of the bottom to compare if you like?

·
Purple headed member
7,646 Posts
One weekend I was lucky enough to park next to David519 at CFW. I looked at the bottom of his Canyon and compared it to the bottom of my '78 Dimarco. First thing I noticed was the flat chines on the Dimarco compared to the angled chines of the Canyon.
I think the most noticable thing between the two hulls however is the 3/4 of sec advantage that the Canyon has over the Dimarco power for power.

·
Lurker
417 Posts
Not to jack the thread, as I think this kind of runs in the same thought...:

I bought a rigged hull, Title says 1983 Dimarco, but the HIN is for a Ca special Construction. There is no HIN on the hull. Was told by the seller that it was a Mettler built DiMarco, 1 of 10 "special" hulls with a 7/8 runner, that were built for racers, etc., to be the top dogs on the lake.... I know I could just call Wayne and get the answer from him, but I've heard that can be an interesting proposition in it's self.

The one I bought was originally a 2+2 seating, from the wear marks in the paint, but the original interior is gone. I'm friends on FB with Rocky DiMarco, and here is what he said about it:

Hey there Gary yea I have some history since the maker is my father, First DiMarco boats went out of business in 1980 I don't think its one of my dads builds but a easy way to check is from the vin #on the right rear of hull.If you get me that number ill talk to my parents and get the scoop.My dad never joint built with anyone he sold molds to canyon marine. I hope I can help get the history of your boat .Rocky DiMarco

Anyway, this is the one I bought, any thoughts?

and just one other thing, this boat is done in metallic white gel, with the multi layer candy paint on top.. literally glows in the sunlight!

deck.jpg
1522273_620034034713030_1882357880_n.jpg
quarter rear.jpg
plate adn back.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
562 Posts
Not to jack the thread, as I think this kind of runs in the same thought...:

I bought a rigged hull, Title says 1983 Dimarco, but the HIN is for a Ca special Construction. There is no HIN on the hull. Was told by the seller that it was a Mettler built DiMarco, 1 of 10 "special" hulls with a 7/8 runner, that were built for racers, etc., to be the top dogs on the lake.... I know I could just call Wayne and get the answer from him, but I've heard that can be an interesting proposition in it's self.

The one I bought was originally a 2+2 seating, from the wear marks in the paint, but the original interior is gone. I'm friends on FB with Rocky DiMarco, and here is what he said about it:

Hey there Gary yea I have some history since the maker is my father, First DiMarco boats went out of business in 1980 I don't think its one of my dads builds but a easy way to check is from the vin #on the right rear of hull.If you get me that number ill talk to my parents and get the scoop.My dad never joint built with anyone he sold molds to canyon marine. I hope I can help get the history of your boat .Rocky DiMarco

Anyway, this is the one I bought, any thoughts?

and just one other thing, this boat is done in metallic white gel, with the multi layer candy paint on top.. literally glows in the sunlight!

View attachment 498001
View attachment 497977
View attachment 497985
View attachment 497993

I hate to say it but i don't think its a dimarco. A couple things are odd to me in the pics. 1. the center plate is way to skinny and only has 3 turn buckles. 2. a reputable builder isn't going to not put a HIN # on it. 3. If its an 83 dimarco i can't beleive it's a straight deck and not a t-deck. lastly if it was a "special" race boat why did it have 2+2 seating in it??
I maybe completly wrong and these are my opinion. I'm sure some others will chime in.....

·
Registered
875 Posts
I hate to say it but i don't think its a dimarco. A couple things are odd to me in the pics. 1. the center plate is way to skinny and only has 3 turn buckles. 2. a reputable builder isn't going to not put a HIN # on it. 3. If its an 83 dimarco i can't beleive it's a straight deck and not a t-deck. lastly if it was a "special" race boat why did it have 2+2 seating in it??
I maybe completly wrong and these are my opinion. I'm sure some others will chime in.....
At first glance and with the deck art layed out like it is, Kurtis was my first thought. Then I saw the transom and it didn't have the "ducks ass" or whatever you call it on the top. Interesting deal for sure. Either way, the paint on that thing looks awesome! Would be cool to see it in person. Nice ride T350!:))THumbsUp

·
Lurker
417 Posts
I guess only one way to know for sure, guess need to call Wayne Mettler...

Edit: Just got off the phone with Mr. Mettler... had a long conversation about this boat, and will be sending him an e-mail with pictures and some specific measurements. Hoping to get to the bottom of this soon....

·
Registered
97 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong. In the early 70's didn't Arlen Kurtis and Sonny Dimarco initially start out or work together and then split ways. I seem to remember each of them taking a copy of the hull forward. We ran a 74, 76, & 79 Kurtis. The 74 & 76 decks and rear deck looked identical to the boat pictured. The 79 Kurtis had a cut away deck, and small rear spoiler. As I recall the cockpit length on the Kurtis was longer than a Hondo so Arlen actually lengthened the deck on the right hand side instead of cutting away the deck on the left hand side. None of the bottoms looked anything like what is in the picture above.

Greg

·
Registered
604 Posts
OK Bill, tell me what a duck tail is please. Is it that little raise in the back of the boat that looks like a small spoiler or something different. By the way how have you been this loooooong cold winter? :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
OK Bill, tell me what a duck tail is please. Is it that little raise in the back of the boat that looks like a small spoiler or something different. By the way how have you been this loooooong cold winter? :D
You're right on the money!!! Cole and Kurtis have it, Sangers and Hondo's don't. I don't really know what it's real name is but that's what everyone I grew up around called it.:))THumbsUp

·
Lurker
417 Posts
BTW, talked to Wayne Mettler 3 times, E-mailed all the pic's I have of it, and when he called me back, he confirmed it wasn't one of his,and it's not an '83, but thinks it may be either a Dimarco or a Kurtis... trying to track down Davey Robinson, owner of the current "Just Another Toy" Canyon, and talk to him. Thinking this MAY have been his previous boat...???

1 - 20 of 30 Posts