Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The edelbrock performer on my bbo has had a rough go, and is now constantly clogging with stuff even though i have two fuel filters (one just out of tank and one after mech. fuel pump). I know the fuel tank is pretty dirty but there is no acess hole, and it is foamed and glassed into the bow of the boat. I am purchasing a rebuild kit this weekend as I have already gone through it multiple times with carb cleaner. Anyone got any suggestions on what else I should do? Maybe re-jet it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Tanks

You prob. don't want to here this but if you tank is dirty and it is fiberglass at best you have to get it cleaned out. You will allways have troubles with you carb if not. IMO I replaced my glass tanks due to very fine glass getting past filters.If you look around you can find spun allum. tanks for a good deal, got mine for 100.00 off the PB boards good luck

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Not to mention the fact that the bow is a crappy place for a tank(weight). And another non fan of edelbrock carbs here.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have you tried something besides inline filters? Like maybe a screw on type filter (much bigger) that you could mount somewhere? I am sure you can get one.

I tell you, I had an Edelbrock Performer carb once, plan on having more, those things are so simple, and if you can just keep the dirt and crap out of them they run so nice, best carb ever made for daily use. At least that is MY opinion, but opinions are like assholes everyone has one.... Mine kept getting dirt in it too, I must have removed the top of the carb to clean it like 20 times, I had a dirty fuel tank and fuel line, the fuel line had been plugged by those little tiny dirt doubers (sp?) and the tank itself was a cheapy RCI plastic tank and was full of sand. Once I got the sand and trash out of the system by going through countless fuel filters and cleaning the bowl and jets constantly the thing ran like a champ.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you tried something besides inline filters? Like maybe a screw on type filter (much bigger) that you could mount somewhere? I am sure you can get one.

I tell you, I had an Edelbrock Performer carb once, plan on having more, those things are so simple, and if you can just keep the dirt and crap out of them they run so nice, best carb ever made for daily use. At least that is MY opinion, but opinions are like assholes everyone has one.... Mine kept getting dirt in it too, I must have removed the top of the carb to clean it like 20 times, I had a dirty fuel tank and fuel line, the fuel line had been plugged by those little tiny dirt doubers (sp?) and the tank itself was a cheapy RCI plastic tank and was full of sand. Once I got the sand and trash out of the system by going through countless fuel filters and cleaning the bowl and jets constantly the thing ran like a champ.
It is already an alluminum tank, But thanks 1hotboat.

Doesnt the tank in the bow help it plane out faster? My boat planes pretty good even with a skier, havent tried more than one at a time though. We used to have somone ride on the bow when pulling two or more skiers in my dads old boat with side tanks.

I have not tried a screw on filter, which I suppose you mean the ones that look kind of like an oil filter that are used on farm fuel tanks and the like, but I might try it.

I think We have come up with a way to clean the tank out. We are going to hole saw a four inch hole near the bottom, scrape all we can out, Then seal in with an alluminum plate, cork gasket, and epoxy. The bonus to it is we are going to tap a hole into the plate for a 90 elbow, and tap another hole near the top to put in another elbow and connect the two with clear gas hose so I have a fuel gauge too. (running out of gas sucs:)violent11)

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
I cleaned the tanks in my Stevens by rigging up an electric pump drawing fuel from the tank pickup, through a cartridge filter to the pump, then a hose back through the filler. I moved the hose around in the tank to move what contamination there was to the pickup. After 20 minutes or so, checked the filter, replaced it when I needed to, and ran it some more continually moving the discharge from the pump around to suspend the dirt. Took about 2 hours to get both tanks squeaky clean.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I cleaned the tanks in my Stevens by rigging up an electric pump drawing fuel from the tank pickup, through a cartridge filter to the pump, then a hose back through the filler. I moved the hose around in the tank to move what contamination there was to the pickup. After 20 minutes or so, checked the filter, replaced it when I needed to, and ran it some more continually moving the discharge from the pump around to suspend the dirt. Took about 2 hours to get both tanks squeaky clean.

Great way to do it. And use diesel fuel as a solvent. use a couple gallons, It really well.

Darrell.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks

Thanks for the help and tips guys. I will try the fuel loop before i go cutting holes in the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts