Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Dart 9.8 deck 509 short block with eagle/srp internals, Clevite H bearings, Victor Jr intake. I dont have heads yet but am considering AFR 305's. Looking to spin around 5000 rpm or so, prob 600HP. What is the recommended carb. I have a Demon 850 in the garage but want to see what ya'll think. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I've got a pump gas 565 and I'm running a Dom 1050. Very mello. Not over carbed at all.

Maybe your 850'll work because you wanna keep the R's down, but I have my doubts.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have a new Dart 9.8 deck 509 short block with eagle/srp internals, Clevite H bearings, Victor Jr intake. I dont have heads yet but am considering AFR 305's. Looking to spin around 5000 rpm or so, prob 600HP. What is the recommended carb. I have a Demon 850 in the garage but want to see what ya'll think. Thanks, Dave
The 850 should run you up to 5760 rpm -at 100% efficiency,, should work fine.................E:)hand

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Dave, let that motor spin. 6000rpm's on a hyd cam is no problem these days. Your motor will thank you. Plus it's 1000 more rpm to prop for.

Darrell.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
BG850 should flow more than a Holley 850....so I'm told.

Either way, the 850 should be more than adequate as long as it is tuned correctly.

5325, you really like the Dom's huh ? :D

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Oh, wy limit yourself to 5k ? Your missing out on a lot of power and the potential of the AFR's. Go atleast to high 5k's.........you'll be thankful you did.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input. Mid to high fives is prob what the engine will twist. Now i just need some money$$ !!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Mid to high fives is prob what the engine will twist. Now i just need some money$$ !!

X2,.....on the money, lol........E:)hand

·
Banned
697 Posts
BG850 should flow more than a Holley 850....so I'm told.

Either way, the 850 should be more than adequate as long as it is tuned correctly.

5325, you really like the Dom's huh ? :D
Yup. The last 496's ran on the dyno with both. I forget the gain, but the Dominator crushed teh 850 in power. and teh boat starts like it has EFI

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
At 5000-5500 in big boat, it really doesn't want a single plane.
I disagree when referencing a minimum of 496cid, modern HR, and good modern heads.

Lower cid or low lift cam or OEM heads and the dual plane is usually better in that rpm range.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
You've got the 850 so run it. AFR 305 heads are a good choice for a mill like this. I agree with the others I would spin it to around 5800 or so, you have a solid bottom end and married to a set of AFR305s and a hyd roller you can reach your goal.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I disagree when referencing a minimum of 496cid, modern HR, and good modern heads.

Lower cid or low lift cam or OEM heads and the dual plane is usually better in that rpm range.
I agree. But on the average iron headed, flat hyd cammed, 454/470 the Eddy dual plane Dom manifold kicked azz. Saw a well worked SS pick up 2 mph with one over a cut down divider, stock dual plane and a 850

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a edelbrock c454 man like new, shot blasted dual plane, square port with the dom flange, just saying... only to help a fellow boater out. :)

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
I agree. But on the average iron headed, flat hyd cammed, 454/470 the Eddy dual plane Dom manifold kicked azz. Saw a well worked SS pick up 2 mph with one over a cut down divider, stock dual plane and a 850
Agreed, dual planes need a bigger carburetor than single planes when comparing on same exact motor.

Thus why one should not be afraid to stack 1" open spacers (one at a time) on a dual plane to see what ultimately (spacer height) works the best. More room for the air to make the turns plus more carb is exposed to each cylinder. :D

·
Registered
633 Posts
You've got the 850 so run it. AFR 305 heads are a good choice for a mill like this. I agree with the others I would spin it to around 5800 or so, you have a solid bottom end and married to a set of AFR305s and a hyd roller you can reach your goal.
I think the 850 would have better throttle responce through the rpm range ( higher venturi velocity ) , at wot the 1050 would shine , depend's on the type of driving you are going to be doing ,, .....Eric:)hand

Ps : what rpm range is the vic jr ? 3000- 7000 ...??? I had a victor 4500 and think it was a 4000-8500, (can't quite remember)

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
IMO any decent Big Block needs a Dom. A well setup Dom with annulars can out low end an 850 and bury it on the top. Problem becomes, which manifold.
I think the 850 would have better throttle responce through the rpm range ( higher venturi velocity ) , at wot the 1050 would shine , depend's on the type of driving you are going to be doing ,, .....Eric:)hand

Ps : what rpm range is the vic jr ? 3000- 7000 ...??? I had a victor 4500 and think it was a 4000-8500, (can't quite remember)
Manifold for manifold, on BBC 496 or larger, a well set up Dominator with annulars will out low end an 850 every time. Throttle response isn't a condition of venturi velocity alone. It's also a condition of booster sensitivty. And really, how many boats are out there blipping the throttle, or driving around 1/4 throttle?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 26 Posts