Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , I have a mild 460 BBF with an Offy duel 4 t/r (the one that has a divider in the plenum kinda like a duel plane). The motor has 11 to 1 cr ported heads and the cam is 565 lift 280 dur (232 at .050) and 108 deg lobe center.

I need to make a decision about carbs. A few people have recommended the Holley 450 mech sec, and others say go bigger than that, what do you guys think ?? I do have one Holley 750 vac sec (3310s) and I could pick up another one of those if you think that will work ?

The boat is an 18' jet, 2 seater, not a family boat just a toy :D

·
Driver
3,195 Posts
i had duel 450 on my old motor worked beter than 2 650 dp een with alot of tuning with setups it was a 466 bbf 12-2 comp big hyd flat tappet scj heads my intake was weiend tr

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hi guys , I have a mild 460 BBF with an Offy duel 4 t/r (the one that has a divider in the plenum kinda like a duel plane). The motor has 11 to 1 cr ported heads and the cam is 565 lift 280 dur (232 at .050) and 108 deg lobe center.

I need to make a decision about carbs. A few people have recommended the Holley 450 mech sec, and others say go bigger than that, what do you guys think ?? I do have one Holley 750 vac sec (3310s) and I could pick up another one of those if you think that will work ?

The boat is an 18' jet, 2 seater, not a family boat just a toy :D
u might want to try a couple Edelbrock 600/625's...Fords seem to like them...i have a few friends that run them on reg 460's (sgl) & love them...they have vac sec (built in) and with the small pri, give exellent response...the 450's are also an excellent choice :)...just my .02 cents

FastRat

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys, looks like I might try the 2 750s (cheaper, only need to buy one) and if that doesnt work out then get the 450s ;)

I am running 2 750 vac sec's on my mild 460 with a weind ram and it works GREAT!
Mark, I know your boat runs good, but arent you carbs mounted sideways ? I thought it was bad to side mount vac sec carbs. :confused:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Thanks for the help guys, looks like I might try the 2 750s (cheaper, only need to buy one) and if that doesnt work out then get the 450s ;)

Mark, I know your boat runs good, but arent you carbs mounted sideways ? I thought it was bad to side mount vac sec carbs. :confused:
1st...let me say, that the 3310 u have is NOT a 750cfm carb...it is a 780cfm vac sec carb!!!

2nd...if they work for Marc, they should work for u :)

3rd...IMO, side mounting carbs is a PITA...if u dont get them rite, ur gonna have nothing but trouble!

4th...if u go with the 3310, i might have 1 laying around that u can have for shipping cost!

just my .02 cents & HO

FastRat

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FastRat, Are you sure about the 3310s beeing a 780 ? It said 750 on the box when I bought it, its about 5 yrs old and is the shiney silver one (actual number on the choke tower is 3310-6). :D

Sorry if the s caused some confusion but thats the number on the box

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
FastRat, Are you sure about the 3310s beeing a 780 ? It said 750 on the box when I bought it, its about 5 yrs old and is the shiney silver one (actual number on the choke tower is 3310-6). :D

Sorry if the s caused some confusion but thats the number on the box
according to www.MorTec.com all 3310's are 780cfm...that web site also lists all the popular Holley carbs...ck it out :)...i have no clue why the box would list it as a 750!...the 1 i have is rather old, maybe 30yrs+ & perhaps the newer one's "are" 750's!...does urs have a metering block in the rear? or a metering plate?

FastRat

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
according to www.MorTec.com all 3310's are 780cfm...that web site also lists all the popular Holley carbs...ck it out :)...i have no clue why the box would list it as a 750!...the 1 i have is rather old, maybe 30yrs+ & perhaps the newer one's "are" 750's!...does urs have a metering block in the rear? or a metering plate?

FastRat
Hey Fast Rat, In the 70s the original list 3310 was in fact a 780 cfm. Then came the 3310-1 and the 3310-2. Those are listed as a 750 cfm carb. Evoloution and the carbs shrunk!!! Funny thing is the dimentions and flow is the same on both. As far as running any vac sec on a tunnel ram goes, be ready to take carb tuning 101. I have done it and it will work with attention payed to the vac can springs and squirter size. M

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Hey Fast Rat, In the 70s the original list 3310 was in fact a 780 cfm. Then came the 3310-1 and the 3310-2. Those are listed as a 750 cfm carb. Evoloution and the carbs shrunk!!! Funny thing is the dimentions and flow is the same on both. As far as running any vac sec on a tunnel ram goes, be ready to take carb tuning 101. I have done it and it will work with attention payed to the vac can springs and squirter size. M
Hey ol guy...
thnx :) for clearing that issue up...i knew i wasn't bumping my head!...i think u could run 1850's inline & they would work?...i agree, running vac's sideways could be more of a headache than its worth...also...back in the 60's, Ford ran 2 715/735cfm's vac sec on there 427's inline with the vac cans connected with a hose/tube...i used to have a set, but they got away somewhere lol :)...MPO is, try a set of Edelbrock 600/625"s...could be "pleasently" surprized! :)

FastRat

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Hey ol guy...
thnx :) for clearing that issue up...i knew i wasn't bumping my head!...i think u could run 1850's inline & they would work?...i agree, running vac's sideways could be more of a headache than its worth...also...back in the 60's, Ford ran 2 715/735cfm's vac sec on there 427's inline with the vac cans connected with a hose/tube...i used to have a set, but they got away somewhere lol :)...MPO is, try a set of Edelbrock 600/625"s...could be "pleasently" surprized! :)

FastRat
Man I bet you wish you had those 735s back. I remember the set up with the vac can equlizer tube and single feul inlet with the secondaries being feed by the pass side tube. Someone doing a restore on an old 427 hi-riser would give eye teeth to have an original set. YES the good ol 1850 holley inline would be perfect for the ford. But as you say don't count out the reborn afb carbs either. M

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Man I bet you wish you had those 735s back. I remember the set up with the vac can equlizer tube and single feul inlet with the secondaries being feed by the pass side tube. Someone doing a restore on an old 427 hi-riser would give eye teeth to have an original set. YES the good ol 1850 holley inline would be perfect for the ford. But as you say don't count out the reborn afb carbs either. M
ol guy...
a better one than that...back in the late 60's early 70's, i was in the process of building a 432ci from a 406 block & had a "new" set of Tunnel port heads & 2x4 TP manif :)...i paid a good price back then & the last set i seen on EBay went for 7k+...i sure wish i had them now :( ...my engine builders garage & house got broken into & everything got stolen (ex ole lady had something to do with it)...i got insurance $$ for what was stolen, but put me out to lunch on that project...cried for a long time

FastRat

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Man what a heart breaker. The ol days of the good ford stuff. Back when FOMOCO actually gave an attempt at serious racing thanks to nascar and guys like the Legendary Bob Glidden, and yes there is more. Mark

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmmm , Interesting stuff, 3310's are 780's and 750's and both are the same size and flow the same :)eh:) .

according to www.MorTec.com all 3310's are 780cfm...that web site also lists all the popular Holley carbs...ck it out ...i have no clue why the box would list it as a 750!...the 1 i have is rather old, maybe 30yrs+ & perhaps the newer one's "are" 750's!...does urs have a metering block in the rear? or a metering plate?

FastRat
Hey ol guy...
thnx for clearing that issue up...i knew i wasn't bumping my head!...i think u could run 1850's inline & they would work?...i agree, running vac's sideways could be more of a headache than its worth...also...back in the 60's, Ford ran 2 715/735cfm's vac sec on there 427's inline with the vac cans connected with a hose/tube...i used to have a set, but they got away somewhere lol ...MPO is, try a set of Edelbrock 600/625"s...could be "pleasently" surprized!

FastRat
Mine has a metering plate. But I think I can fit them inline even if it needs a metering block. The t/ram has a carb spaceing measurement of almost 10 3/4 in, so I should be able to fit almost anything up there. I can not side mount carbs on this ram (Offy), it has a divider in the plenum (like a duel plane). I only brought that up because I saw a pic of Marks boat with sideways mounted carbs (Wieland ram) and was surprised the learn he had vac sec carbs.

Also I was looking at Holley's site and saw a kit that converts both carbs to quick change sec springs and has a vac hose fitting on the covers to connect the carbs together, is that something like what you were talking about above ?

As far as the Edelbrocks, I was always told they work good (very reliable) if you can get them tuned right but they were a pain to get right (lots of parts need to be changed to make them work on a ram). Was I misinformed about them ? I do like the way they look (shiny :D ) and I like that not to many people around here run them (dare to be different).

Thanks again for the replies, I just keep confusing myself with this decision, too many choices. mec450's, vac 600's, dp650's, 660's, vac 750's, Edelbrocks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:(

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Hmmmm , Interesting stuff, 3310's are 780's and 750's and both are the same size and flow the same :)eh:) .

QUOTE]

almost all early holley 4 barrels were OEM's first. The 3310 was first used on the 67 Z28 and was rated at 780 by GM, the first 800 DP was used on the L88 and was rated at 830 by GM. Same goes for the goof rating for the Ford 715's which as I remember were more like a Holley's 650. :)sphss

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

Mine has a metering plate. But I think I can fit them inline even if it needs a metering block. The t/ram has a carb spaceing measurement of almost 10 3/4 in, so I should be able to fit almost anything up there. I can not side mount carbs on this ram (Offy), it has a divider in the plenum (like a duel plane). I only brought that up because I saw a pic of Marks boat with sideways mounted carbs (Wieland ram) and was surprised the learn he had vac sec carbs.

Also I was looking at Holley's site and saw a kit that converts both carbs to quick change sec springs and has a vac hose fitting on the covers to connect the carbs together, is that something like what you were talking about above ?

As far as the Edelbrocks, I was always told they work good (very reliable) if you can get them tuned right but they were a pain to get right (lots of parts need to be changed to make them work on a ram). Was I misinformed about them ? I do like the way they look (shiny :D ) and I like that not to many people around here run them (dare to be different).

Thanks again for the replies, I just keep confusing myself with this decision, too many choices. mec450's, vac 600's, dp650's, 660's, vac 750's, Edelbrocks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:(
confused, confused, i totally understand :)...as stated/answered above...the early 60's 3310's were rated at 780cfm...maybe they "really" werent!...doesnt matter...if the 1 u have & another 1 "just" like it (3310-6) will fit inline?...i say find 1 & get the Holley quick chng kit, as u stated above & they will work very good :)...Ford ran a similar set-up (except for carb sz) on there early 60's 427ci in both factory cars & NASCAR & i think they even ran that set-up in there famous Thunderbolt Fairlanes! :)...alot of people are "misinformed" about the Edelbrocks...if u ck, u will see that they were run on some early GM cars on a inline 2x4 set-up (low profile), both SB & BB with great success..."they" will run fine rite out of the box on a TR :)...so, now the ? is...which way do u want to go without spending an arm & a leg!...i stated MHO as to what i would do :)

FastRat

p.s. Ford's (love em or hate em) "ruled" the tracks in the 60's before most of u were born! :)

·
Registered
3,864 Posts

QUOTE]

almost all early holley 4 barrels were OEM's first. The 3310 was first used on the 67 Z28 and was rated at 780 by GM, the first 800 DP was used on the L88 and was rated at 830 by GM. Same goes for the goof rating for the Ford 715's which as I remember were more like a Holley's 650. :)sphss
GN 7. Hey I have now clue why holley did this but if you look back to the mid 70s the original list 3310 was rated @ 780 cfm then came the dash 1 and dash 2, still rated @ 780! Now go figure they are up to a dash six and all below dash 2 are a 780 and anything above are rated @ a 750????? FYI moretech states that all info is partial and not all numbers are available. But if you check Petersons How to on small and big block chevys you will see the difference Also the Ford 715 and 735 were a center pivot bowl single inlet with a draft tube for the secondaries. Not like a list 1850 carb. I don't know if you threw that out but I thought this would be a good spot to clear it up. FWIW. Also I used to do alot of carb work and actually had a G.M. numbered 3310 for a 302 chev Z-28 1969 cica and a pair of Ford numbered 735 holleys for a 1966 Thunderbolt 427 Fairlane. The line forms to the rear to kick me in the balls for ever letting that stuff go. M

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
GN 7. Hey I have now clue why holley did this but if you look back to the mid 70s the original list 3310 was rated @ 780 cfm then came the dash 1 and dash 2, still rated @ 780! Now go figure they are up to a dash six and all below dash 2 are a 780 and anything above are rated @ a 750????? FYI moretech states that all info is partial and not all numbers are available. But if you check Petersons How to on small and big block chevys you will see the difference Also the Ford 715 and 735 were a center pivot bowl single inlet with a draft tube for the secondaries. Not like a list 1850 carb. I don't know if you threw that out but I thought this would be a good spot to clear it up. FWIW. Also I used to do alot of carb work and actually had a G.M. numbered 3310 for a 302 chev Z-28 1969 cica and a pair of Ford numbered 735 holleys for a 1966 Thunderbolt 427 Fairlane. The line forms to the rear to kick me in the balls for ever letting that stuff go. M
On my knit-picking soapbox...:D There was no 66 Fairlane Thunderbolt, they were 64 Fairlane only. The 66 Fairlane 427 [R or W code] were street cars and available to the general public. The Thunderbolts were dragrace only and were "sold" to select dragracers or to people that had a frendly Ford salesman that could check the right box and follow thru with the order. As for the Holleys the 735 was a center hung float and was OEM on 428 CJ/SCJ but not as a pair, the 715s were side hung floats, no sec metering block and available as a pair only on 427s. The difference is the 715s were based on the smaller baseplates and main body of the smaller squarebowl Holleys, the 735s were based on the 780 size carb but with the small "skirt" on the primary boosters, reducing the airflow of the primary only. There also was a pair of 780s, mainly for the Cammer but some were found on Hirisers, these were squarebowl Holleys, no sec. met. block for mounting clearance. The 1st 780 cfm Holley produced was for the 1963 427 lowriser 1 x 4 bbl application [List no 2855] Knit picking? Yep...its a slow day and I'm bored. Not trying to bust your balls but just thought I'd clear up the Ford/Holley stuff.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
On my knit-picking soapbox...:D There was no 66 Fairlane Thunderbolt, they were 64 Fairlane only. The 66 Fairlane 427 [R or W code] were street cars and available to the general public. The Thunderbolts were dragrace only and were "sold" to select dragracers or to people that had a frendly Ford salesman that could check the right box and follow thru with the order. As for the Holleys the 735 was a center hung float and was OEM on 428 CJ/SCJ but not as a pair, the 715s were side hung floats, no sec metering block and available as a pair only on 427s. The difference is the 715s were based on the smaller baseplates and main body of the smaller squarebowl Holleys, the 735s were based on the 780 size carb but with the small "skirt" on the primary boosters, reducing the airflow of the primary only. There also was a pair of 780s, mainly for the Cammer but some were found on Hirisers, these were squarebowl Holleys, no sec. met. block for mounting clearance. The 1st 780 cfm Holley produced was for the 1963 427 lowriser 1 x 4 bbl application[List no 2855] Knit picking? Yep...its a slow day and I'm bored. Not trying to bust your balls but just thought I'd clear up the Ford/Holley stuff.
058, You are very right, it was in 64!! as far as the inline and center pivot ??????? Mark

·
Registered
574 Posts
Mine are sideways and the secondary diaphrams are linked togeather with a steel tube my carb guy made me. I have never had to touch my carbs since the day I bolted them to the tunnel ram. If you find a GOOD carb guy he should be able to get them extremly close to dialed in before they go on the boat!
My carb guy had lots of questions before he touched my carbs. He wanted to know lift and duration on the cam , if i was running headers or logs , what heads I had , what RPM range I planned on running , cid , ignition system and so on and so on.
My point is he's a genious when it came to MY carbs!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts