Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 75 Tahiti, new to the jet boat world. Needs a new carburetor, can anyone tell me what I need or recommendations?
Thanks

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
750dp

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Before purchasing a new carb you might try giving John at C&J a call. He may be able to rebuild it for cheaper than buying a new one and if not, he'll probably be able to get you a great deal. Congrats on the new purchase.

C & J Engineering

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just bought a 75 Tahiti, new to the jet boat world. Needs a new carburetor, can anyone tell me what I need or recommendations?
Thanks
Opinion: I'd just go to an 850 from the get-go. These things are running under load at all times, so it's hard to have "too much" carburetor. Your stock 460 might not use all of the capability, but for a few bucks more, you can have some margin for possible future upgrades to the 460.

I've been running a QuickFuel M-850 for a couple of years on my 496 BBC. Had to change the power spring to eliminate a rich running condition at skiing speeds. Other than that, I've been happy with it. It gave me approx. 150 rpm over my old 750 Edelbrock.

If you have an enclosed engine space (I doubt it), then be sure to use a USCG-approved marine carburetor. And replace your hose (use USCG-approved A-1 hose) while you're at it.

Good luck. And, as others have said: "Welcome to the madness".

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
holley 780 vac secondaries...
That carb will work with a rebuild and TUNE!!!! What I mean by TUNE is rejet and metering plate with the proper secondary spring. It's basic carb 101 tuning or dump a few bucks on a new carb and wind out doing the same thing! Good luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
That carb will work with a rebuild and TUNE!!!! What I mean by TUNE is rejet and metering plate with the proper secondary spring. It's basic carb 101 tuning or dump a few bucks on a new carb and wind out doing the same thing! Good luck!
+1
The 780 will work fine if you have a basically stock lake boat. The vac secondaries will work well too. I ran a 4150 750vac on my old jet's 454, quick change kit made it easy to dial in the secondaries. I had it set up so the secondaries would open around 3600. I could cruise around the lake all day on just the primaries.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts