Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I have used it a couple of times , and yes it was accurate. I found out somethings the seller was not telling me..

Sometimes the seller dont know, cause they bought it and no one told them.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
They don't always tell you everything that has been wrong with the car, so you still need to look it over carefully. When a car has been repaired by a shadetree mechanic or an individual the damage won't show up on there reports.

Steve

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,926 Posts
They don't always tell you everything that has been wrong with the car, so you still need to look it over carefully. When a car has been repaired by a shadetree mechanic or an individual the damage won't show up on there reports.

Steve
Exactly, car-fax is only good if the shops that did the work reported it to Car-Fax.

G

·
Shops, insurers and DMV's all report to Carfax. One of the few holes would be a vehicle that was not insured that was repaired by shop who did not report to the system.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. My gf is looking at couple used certified Audis and I was thinking maybe we should pull the report on the ones she wants incase the salesman isn't telling us everything. I just want to know if the car has been wrecked or has been back to the dealer for the same problem over and over again.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Shops, insurers and DMV's all report to Carfax. One of the few holes would be a vehicle that was not insured that was repaired by shop who did not report to the system.

True, i was looking at a truck up in Kingman, I got the #'s off of it came home and ran them.. I was told the truck was never in an accident.

Wrong , it was wrecked in Phoenix and then shipped to Kingman........

I also believe it tells you the owners before you ( if i remember right )

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Thanks. My gf is looking at couple used certified Audis and I was thinking maybe we should pull the report on the ones she wants incase the salesman isn't telling us everything. I just want to know if the car has been wrecked or has been back to the dealer for the same problem over and over again.
Carfax won't show service issues. Just take the VIN to the service department and have them run it. It'll show all the work done under warranty.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone.

Used Audi !! ?? are you nuts !

Please elaborate.
Im not really a car/sedan person and don't know very much. Any helpful opinions are appreciated.

The car wouldn't be older than two years and will not have more than 40k.

Reason the Audi looks good is because you get so much for the price range she's in, it gets great miliage for her 55 mile roundtrip commute and its much more comfortable and more powerful than silmilar cars we've looked at.

The Lexus IS 350 is another one she likes but they are pricey.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I have owned a lot of cars like many of the boards, and an Audi would be one of the last cars I would choose as a nice commuter car.

Once out of warranty, and i mean 100% bumper to bumper, RUN, or have a large wallet available.

G

·
IMO, Audi's are great to drive but I know the older ones were problematic. Lot's of electronics that Audi Service couldn't fix. My Son's was 03 A4. Drove great but had issues. He sold it with less than 12k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Thanks.

Anyone have a experiance with the is350? I know a toyota is definatly a better built car
I actually work for the advertising agency the creates Lexus' advertising, so if you need any information please let me and I'll try to help you out!

A few people here at the agency have them and I have driven the IS 350 a few times, I was very impressed! Very fast and great handling, plus the quality is excellent! And from what I hear the Lexus customer service is very good as well!

Please let me know if you need any more info or shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I have owned a lot of cars like many of the boards, and an Audi would be one of the last cars I would choose as a nice commuter car.

Once out of warranty, and i mean 100% bumper to bumper, RUN, or have a large wallet available.
Good advice to really listen to. Any of the German cars are extremely pricey to service. If your really wanting to be shocked call a couple dealers and get prices for the recommended service. I was going to purchase an M5 a while back but the prices for service put that idea to an abrupt halt. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Actually I think that of all German carmakers BMW has really done good in the relability area. Oil changes are 10-15K as they have large sumps and synthitec oil, and brakes seem to last much longer than in the past. I have owned MBZ and now in a 5 series, and the 5 series is the most reliable car that I have aver owned aside from maybe a Toyota (not Corolla). My 5 series cost less to insure than a Saturn Vue... Go figure, all part of cost of ownership.

I have friends that have Lexus, and work well, not so exicting, but they too can be expensive to repair and service. Also parts can take a week or so to get when not in stock. Great cars, and I would look at the new IS models.

Keep in mind a new IS 350 will be in the BMW 328 price range or more depending on options, and they drive so different. Get her to take some test rides, NOT "looks good" shop.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Actually I think that of all German carmakers BMW has really done good in the relability area. Oil changes are 10-15K as they have large sumps and synthitec oil, and brakes seem to last much longer than in the past. I have owned MBZ and now in a 5 series, and the 5 series is the most reliable car that I have aver owned aside from maybe a Toyota (not Corolla). My 5 series cost less to insure than a Saturn Vue... Go figure, all part of cost of ownership.

I have friends that have Lexus, and work well, not so exicting, but they too can be expensive to repair and service. Also parts can take a week or so to get when not in stock. Great cars, and I would look at the new IS models.

Keep in mind a new IS 350 will be in the BMW 328 price range or more depending on options, and they drive so different. Get her to take some test rides, NOT "looks good" shop.

+1 We had a 2004 MBZ C230 for almost 6 years and put 80k trouble free miles on it. My wife totaled the car in an accident a week ago, and I think the fact that it was a MBZ played a big factor in minimizing her injuries in the crash.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts