Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tricks of the trade to remove carpet adhesive? The stuff is a couple months old and I'm pulling up a section of the carpet to build my engine cover. It's pretty gooey still, so it doesn't scrape off very well. Any solvents that you recommend?

Thanks,

Nick

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
If you don't care about the carpet you can use gasoline, if you do care about the carpet you can use Acetone. Either way use lots of ventilation, gloves, and a fan to keep the fumes away from yourself. Acetone is nasty sh!t when it gets in your lungs.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Dunno if I subscribe to the gasoline or diesel fuel solution for safety reasons (It works, i've done it, but I'm an idiot), but Goo B Gone or Goof Off would probably remove it a little more safely. Also Acetone, but use a breather when using it.

Ray

·
Crazy Eights
1,476 Posts
Dunno if I subscribe to the gasoline or diesel fuel solution for safety reasons (It works, i've done it, but I'm an idiot), but Goo B Gone or Goof Off would probably remove it a little more safely. Also Acetone, but use a breather when using it.

Ray
that stuff (goo gone) is garbage....its good for removing the adhisive from price tags, but thats about it.

before using the gas method...i tried my industrial remover i use for my sticker biz on the carpet glue and it kinda worked, but not even as closly effective as the gas.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just went thru this in my boat. Here is the product to use, Pre-Kleano http://www.basfrefinish.com/vta/R-M/900.htm
This is still a strong solvent but on the lines of lighter fluid, somewhat safer than large amounts of gas or acetone, and it doesn't evap nearly as fast. Gloves, mask, eye protection are still a good idea.
Soak a towel large enough to cover a 3x3 or 4x4 area, wipe it on and then lay the towel over the area and let it soak for about 5 min. The glue will scrape off with a plastic putty knife then a final wipe with a freshly soaked towel. Keep changing towels as they load up with glue. Takes about 5 gal to do a 21' interior.

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
Acetone and todays gasoline will attack the fiberglass. Camping fuel has no effect on the fiberglass, and does a decent job of softening carpet glues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts