Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for as much info as i can get from current and previous owners.

kind of browsing a 257 effect

good and/or bad experiences

how will it handle havasu chop

what can i expect as far as handling/performance from a cat compared to a v?

·
Banned
80 Posts
carrera

I bought a new 2000 carrera party effect in 2000 probably the best boat i have ever had. as you have read in earlier post i think mercury marine had a problem with the bravo III after 2 drives i switched to a bravoI If it has a dual prop on it i would make plans to go to a bravo I as i dont think the boat does well with that setup. i still have the boat in the garage with a blown drive but i am in the process of putting a bravo I on it..I have had no issues with this boat other than that....

·
Registered
551 Posts
I had a 1997 Carrera xr202 and never had a problem with it. Sold it to a friend and he's never had any problems. It seem to be a well make boat. Don't know if this helps or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you are serious about one my buddy at work is selling one. Nice boat. he has it in the spam section under 2002 Carrera. Check it out!

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
Dennis made some great boats... after aftershock bought him out things went down hill... if you're looking into the early 2000's you should be able to find a great deal.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Better make sure the fuel fills are installed correctly.
can you elaborate?

I had a 1997 Carrera xr202 and never had a problem with it. Sold it to a friend and he's never had any problems. It seem to be a well make boat. Don't know if this helps or not.
Hank, I had a 257 Party Effect and it was a great boat. No complaints at all with it.
If you are serious about one my buddy at work is selling one. Nice boat. he has it in the spam section under 2002 Carrera. Check it out!
Dennis made some great boats... after aftershock bought him out things went down hill... if you're looking into the early 2000's you should be able to find a great deal.
thanks for the replies ... i want to hear more opinions before i really start to think about it.

·
I got nothing
2,037 Posts
Best person to talk to would be Danny of DCM (BadBlown572) as he used to not only one one with BIG power but he also used to rig for Carerra...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
i am looking for as much info as i can get from current and previous owners.

kind of browsing a 257 effect

good and/or bad experiences

how will it handle havasu chop

what can i expect as far as handling/performance from a cat compared to a v?

That is the one I am wanting to get also. Carrera was taken over by Aftershock and i think the quality went down after that. I need to get together a little more money in order to get one, but have you seen this great deal? http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=36445&highlight=carrera :)devil

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
The only down side for me of the 257 Party Effect was that it was a single console. Great boat, but a dual console like the Conquest Top Cat II, the Magics, or the 2Forcefull Model Fast Cat would have made it better. All the 257's have the same bottom and it is a very predictable good riding hull. There is a thread on RD's asking for comparison between it and an Eliminator that is a good read.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is the one I am wanting to get also. Carrera was taken over by Aftershock and i think the quality went down after that. I need to get together a little more money in order to get one, but have you seen this great deal? http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=36445&highlight=carrera :)devil
i have seen that one. i like it.

The only down side for me of the 257 Party Effect was that it was a single console. Great boat, but a dual console like the Conquest Top Cat II, the Magics, or the 2Forcefull Model Fast Cat would have made it better. All the 257's have the same bottom and it is a very predictable good riding hull. There is a thread on RD's asking for comparison between it and an Eliminator that is a good read.
dual console is very nice. what year was yours rick?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hank, I had a 257 Party Effect and it was a great boat. No complaints at all with it.
These boats are great. I was the original owner of the 257 Party Effect that Phebus had and I sold it to him. A few years later he had it up for sale and I bought it back. I liked it that much. These boats are easy to drive and predictable. They are built well and the glass work is good. The boat handles the chop well at Havasu but it has it's limitations too. It's basically 26 ft. and on holiday weekends or bad weather (not to mention the ferry wake), it will feel it. All other conditions or regular weekends its great. I've driven Conquests and Magic deck boats. They do ride great but they also have a few more feet to them as they are 28ft. In a way, it comes down to cost. Even in this market, a 257 will be less $$ than a 28ft Conquest or Magic. I have heard the same thing that the quality went down hill after Carrera was sold to Aftershock. Good luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts