Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an assortment of Casale 12 degree gears and have noticed a couple thing like if say you have a 35 tooth bottom gear and a 40 tooth top gear you have 1.14 gears which breaks down to .03 per tooth (did the math on a couple sets). I have also notice that all the sets have one gear with even number of teeth and another with odd number teeth. I'm trying to get to 1 to 1 and have in stock a top and bottom 36 but I'm thinking there may be an issue???

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that but as usual when it came to Casale I'm more confused. Down at the bottom of the page it says "1. No combinations can be made combining gears from different ratios", is there a reason for that? I have a set of 1.08 gears, top gear has 39 teeth and the bottom has 36 teeth. I also have a set of 1.03 gears. top gear has 36 teeth and the bottom has 35. I would like to use both 36's from both sets to get a 1 to 1 drive....

·
Registered
979 Posts
I would say that the outside diameters are differant which would cause the gears to not mesh correctly. Obviously the higher number teeth on the gear, the larger the OD will be.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well according to JJ its a no go. Not sure what the change may be but it sounds like a couple thousand's of an inch. I find it wild that Casale would make a 36 tooth bottom gear that would be different for each gear set but I guess that's why I'm not a gear guy.
Not sure what to do now.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Well according to JJ its a no go. Not sure what the change may be but it sounds like a couple thousand's of an inch. I find it wild that Casale would make a 36 tooth bottom gear that would be different for each gear set but I guess that's why I'm not a gear guy.
Not sure what to do now.
I would go with the 1.03's and see how the boat performs, that is not much overdrive and very close to 1:1. If the performance is sluggish and not enough rpm, take the v-drive out and switch the gears top to bottom. (Yes it is easily done and works well). That way you would have a .97 under driven ratio. I have rebuilt both split case and C-500 boxes that had the gears inadvertently reversed to under driven rather than overdriven and although the performance of the boats suffered, the performance of the v-drives in that configuration was still exemplary.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As you can see my V drive is a little unique and why I would like to get to 1 to 1 if possible.

v driver set up.jpg

Another issue I am having is the 1.03 gears I just got are good enough to be honest but the top gear is so small in diameter I'm a bit nervous about not having enough room in the box to adjust to get the gears to mate up. It has 1.08 in it now with a bottom gear that has 36 teeth and top gear with 39 teeth. The 1.03's have a bottom gear with 35 teeth and a top gear with 36 teeth. Now with the top gears I figured out that for every tooth is added equals .125 inches over width across the face of the gear. So I have 3 X .125 plus the missing tooth on the bottom gear (for lack of knowing at the moment) lets say its also .125 that's a total of .5. Divide that by half and that's .250 that I have to gets the gears together more then how the box is built now. How much would you need to slide the gear down the 12 degree shaft to make up a 1/4 inch?
one reason I was trying to use a 36 tooth with a 36 tooth. Gets them just a little closer.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The diameter (number of teeth) dictates the mesh so if you mis-match gears and interchange from different sets the mesh is all off.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
That is unique, I'm assuming it is important to you to run the same rpm for each engine thus the desire for 1:1. As previous posters have said, do not mix gears from different ratios. If a 1:1 is that important to you I would call Casale and they would make you a set. Haven't ever seen too many available used. with the 1:03's one engine will always be 3% faster than the other, which engine depends on whether you overdrive or under drive.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm trying to run the same rpm with each motor but I have been "rebuilding" this boat for 9 years now. I have had in it 1.14 and now 1.08 gears. Getting closer but the new (used in great shape) are 1.03 gears. It originally came with 1.03 gears but they are trashed. The original gears were also much bigger, in teeth (Top 38 and bottom 37) and thickness by .125 so that's why I'm a bit nervous about just using the new 1.03 set.
Took a long time to figure out that split case gears would work in this drive if have the bore holes drilled out to 1.5 inches and put a key in them but they were not made for the C-1000 and for Casale to make a gear set for the C-1000 drive a few years ago was insane. Never asked them about these split case gears. Has anyone bought split case gears from them?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have a set of 1:1, 12 degree gears for a regular split case Casale if your interested.
Yes I am. What's the tooth count please? Also are they rights or lefts? Looking for lefts and 75 teeth total Thanks for looking.

I think I figured this out. All split case gears I have found recently have 71 teeth total. But for some reason this is the 4th set off the net I bought that all said they were for a 12 degree split case. They may have not known what they had (man I was lucky also) because putting all my sets on a spread sheet I noticed all the gear set I have used up to this point in the drive all had a total of 75 teeth when you added the two together. Great past luck. This time it sucks. Like I said I don't think I can make up the shortage in my case of 4 missing teeth.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
This will be educational for myself as I don't see how you can get a true 1 to 1 gear set mesh with an odd number of teeth total.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This will be educational for myself as I don't see how you can get a true 1 to 1 gear set mesh with an odd number of teeth total.
I'm not sure either. My gears (not split case) which are a little bigger but.... Also it seems like Casale likes to round down with their ratio numbers so its just a best guess but I have a set of 1.03 gears that has a bottom gear with 37 teeth and a top with 38. I also have a set of 1.08's with bottom of 36 and a top with 39. Another set of 1.14's with 35 bottom teeth and 40 top teeth. So you can see each drop in ratio adds up to be around 5.5 to 6 for each added tooth to the top taken from the bottom. The issue is if you subtract 5.5 from the 1.03 ratio it would not be 1 to 1 but more like 1 to .98. But I also herd that Casale may make up for this somehow.
Something else I noticed in the Casale chart posted above they seem to mix gears with even number gear teeth together and the same with odd numbers. Like the 1.06 top gear is 37 and the bottom is 35 (both odd numbers) or the 1.12's with their top gear having 38 teeth and the bottom having 34 (both even numbers). Even the 1 to 1 are 36 and 36. So I don't think that will be an issue....maybe.
So the bottom line is it seems split cases use 71 and 72 tooth gears. Even though I see Casale has them listed in the charts I have not seen any 72 tooth gear sets for sale for a split case so there may be an issue with noise or something with them or I'm just missing them. Anyway if I could get a set of split case gears to work the bottom gear would have to have 37 teeth and I don't even see one listed so this is a dead end for me. The gear set I would need has 75 teeth total. :bangmyhead:

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
Here are the 1:1 gears I have. As you can see each gear has 36 teeth. The bottom gear has some rust pits in the teeth where it must have sat with some water in it at sometime.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here are the 1:1 gears I have. As you can see each gear has 36 teeth. The bottom gear has some rust pits in the teeth where it must have sat with some water in it at sometime.

Thanks for posting them to confirm they do exist.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts