Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Cole with a split case Casale in it. I was told that it hasn't had water hooked up to it since at least 1984. After driving it for a half hour or so when water splashed on the Casale box the water would pop and steam away due to the Casale box's heat, is that too hot?

·
Distinguished Member
5,775 Posts
I have a Cole with a split case Casale in it. I was told that it hasn't had water hooked up to it since at least 1984. After driving it for a half hour or so when water splashed on the Casale box the water would pop and steam away due to the Casale box's heat, is that too hot?

Yes....

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
Take it apart and have it checked. You may have a gear lash problem. Something isnt right in there. Maybe low on oil.

·
I like to turn wrenches
164 Posts
That sounds way too hot. My Casale has been warm but not steaming hot.

·
Distinguished Member
5,775 Posts
Sorry, first post got cut short cause of work :mad: I agree with Tony that something's wrong. If they're set up right, you can run them dry for extended periods with modest power. Synthetic gear lube helps. If you've got big power, you should probably run water. Even with water, they'll get pretty warm on longer runs. That's why you don't want to drive a K in shorts ;)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Sorry, first post got cut short cause of work :mad: I agree with Tony that something's wrong. If they're set up right, you can run them dry for extended periods with modest power. Synthetic gear lube helps. If you've got big power, you should probably run water. Even with water, they'll get pretty warm on longer runs. That's why you don't want to drive a K in shorts ;)
Word up On that one. You have a scar on your leg to match the scar I got from driving a real 427 cobra in shorts & teva's. I hit the side pipe while getting out.

But yeah, the box should not be that warm. Get it looked at

·
Just another Wannabe
1,200 Posts
I went to the lake recently with a guy that did the same deal. I told him to look at it. He took it home and the bearings were on their way out in a big way, and really could have done some damage if it ran much longer.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I'm betting that bearings are expensive but replacing the box is probably more expensive. I'm calling Beaverfab Monday and see what they have to say.

I checked the oil and it was full to the fill plug in front, not the lower plug in the back.

·
Registered
6,917 Posts
Too full may be the problem? Once my kid's 80cc Kawasaki transmission/clutch was overfilled. Ran like a toad from the friction of hydraulic drag.. drained it to correct level; ran perfectly.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Oil level should be to the lower hole.

·
Shitter was full!!!
26 Posts
Talk to Andy Casale at Casale Eng. He helped me a few years back with a broken tail shaft, I belive the bearings he sold me were about 15 bucks a piece, but dont hold me to that, they could have gone up in price.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the oil level was incorrect, it was filled to the fill hole. I removed the excess oil and I also installed water lines to the Casale box. I had it out in the water all day yesterday and it was barely slightly warm all day.

But this boat beat the crap out of me and the friend that was riding in the boat with me. Today we both have sore backs, LOL. No matter where I set and locked the plate at the boat porpoised. Must be a flat bottom thing. The water was super calm and flat most of the day. Fun boat!

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
only a flatbottom thing if the boat isnt set up right. im sure somebody on here will help you out. they're not fun at all when your back is sore the next day. thats an indicator you need to fix the cav plates (hopefully not anything else).

·
Speedy Member
6,785 Posts
So the oil level was incorrect, it was filled to the fill hole. I removed the excess oil and I also installed water lines to the Casale box. I had it out in the water all day yesterday and it was barely slightly warm all day.

But this boat beat the crap out of me and the friend that was riding in the boat with me. Today we both have sore backs, LOL. No matter where I set and locked the plate at the boat porpoised. Must be a flat bottom thing. The water was super calm and flat most of the day. Fun boat!

Hotrod,

Flats are designed to go 25 mph or 125mph. They do not like to run at 40, 50, 80, etc. If you are not at wide open throttle you should be cruising at about 1800rpms just loping along. They need enough power to carry the nose. If you are out running around and not flat footing it, you should just be going fast enough to have the boat rolled over on plane. Roll over the wakes and try not to beat on them. I hope Im explaining myself right.

T

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hotrod,

Flats are designed to go 25 mph or 125mph. They do not like to run at 40, 50, 80, etc. If you are not at wide open throttle you should be cruising at about 1800rpms just loping along. They need enough power to carry the nose. If you are out running around and not flat footing it, you should just be going fast enough to have the boat rolled over on plane. Roll over the wakes and try not to beat on them. I hope Im explaining myself right.

T
Makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the reply! :)devil

·
Big River Boy
256 Posts

Just curious, Looks like your boat was an ex race boat.You mentioned that you put water lines on it. Are you sure your box has not been machined out for larger gears?:)hand

SteveE

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just curious, Looks like your boat was an ex race boat.You mentioned that you put water lines on it. Are you sure your box has not been machined out for larger gears?:)hand

SteveE
Yes I am sure. The water cooling ports were open and the oil was at least that high and it never leaked oil out the water ports. A friend of mine warned me of that condition.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts