Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in the paper that the water district is considering closing Lake Casitas to private boats, period.........The mussel issue of the river areas has them worried about contaminated boats bringing in mussels. The local bass fishermen are going nuts trying to prevent the closure to private boats, and the loss of over 600K yearly in revenue from boat permits and day use fees.......I would hate to see it closed as we use it to test and tune un muffled hotboats without Ranger harassment....There is also talk of a high pressure, high temperature boat/trailer wash system, but the estimated cost for such a system is reportedly 2-300K. We hotboaters have an unusual ally in the bass fishermen, a very strong lobbying body. Time will tell.........MP

PS: I'm posting this over in vdrives as well........

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Would hate to see a local lake close.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I sure hope it does not happen. Once it starts other places will follow, especially if the enviro. Nazi’s like the blue water group start using this as a reason to sue to limit areas for pleasure boating.

My facts probably are not 100% correct here but as I remember it Diamond Valley Lake was sold to the public as a place to boat. Then they used the MTBE issue in the gasoline to ban Power boating. As I remember they relaxed that rule if you rented their boats or used their fuel you would be able to boat on the lake... Now with MTBE in the gasoline being a thing of the past and not an issue anymore you still can’t put any boat on that lake.

·
Stirrin' it up!
210 Posts
One of the options they are suggesting is closing the lake to outside boats. If you store your boat there then you could use the lake, or rent one of their boats. At the board meeting this last week the bass fishermen showed up in force and filled the room.
What is BS is they said they have been checking boats entering the lake. Once I was asked if the boat had been at the river, and after that I was never asked anything. Maybe they realize the teenagers they have working the gate arent capable of checking boats properly.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I don't much like to boat there anymore, but closing that lake will really add to the crowding on all the other So Cal lakes.:mad: Time will tell what the fascistias that run L.A. will decide. It would might help if we all contacted the L.A. board of supervisors individually and told them what we think.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I read in the paper that the water district is considering closing Lake Casitas to private boats, period.........The mussel issue of the river areas has them worried about contaminated boats bringing in mussels. The local bass fishermen are going nuts trying to prevent the closure to private boats, and the loss of over 600K yearly in revenue from boat permits and day use fees.......I would hate to see it closed as we use it to test and tune un muffled hotboats without Ranger harassment....There is also talk of a high pressure, high temperature boat/trailer wash system, but the estimated cost for such a system is reportedly 2-300K. We hotboaters have an unusual ally in the bass fishermen, a very strong lobbying body. Time will tell.........MP

PS: I'm posting this over in vdrives as well........
Bummer.
I haven't heard anything about this. It sure would be disapointing since I live right next to it. I see bass boats rolling in as early as 5 in the morning.
Something needs to be done with this Mussel problem and closing the lakes is not going to be a good thing.

·
Stirrin' it up!
210 Posts
Bummer.
I haven't heard anything about this. It sure would be disapointing since I live right next to it. I see bass boats rolling in as early as 5 in the morning.
Something needs to be done with this Mussel problem and closing the lakes is not going to be a good thing.
Its doesnt help when a certain jet boater tells the gate people they havent been to the river when they actually had!! :D:D

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Science project.......

Crap, those mussels would help Elsinore and Puddingstone...

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion.
Hey.......Elsinore.....Maybe that lake could contain the secret formula for killing these mussels.......A science project at it's best......Hmmmmmm........MP

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Not all "transported" things are bad. Look at Lake Perris and their spotted bass population. Muscles though? I could use some of those.

·
Stirrin' it up!
210 Posts
Went to Casitas today. 15 minutes at the front gate. :)st
They have 2 rangers that do a complete inspection of EVERY boat coming thru the gate. Plus you have to fill out a disclaimer declaration form that your boat has not been to certain lakes or the river. If there is any water in your hull, it will cause more of a delay. The ranger said they are "setting the standard" to prevent the mussels from getting into the lake.

So no more quick entry. On another note, the lake has come up alot. The main launch ramp is in use again. I always use the Coyote ramp though.
Beautiful day, 82 degrees and total glass. Plus my boat ran whatever the speed limit is on the lake and never exceeded it. Its true, I wrote it on the internet.... :D:D

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Went to Casitas today. 15 minutes at the front gate. :)st
They have 2 rangers that do a complete inspection of EVERY boat coming thru the gate. Plus you have to fill out a disclaimer declaration form that your boat has not been to certain lakes or the river. If there is any water in your hull, it will cause more of a delay. The ranger said they are "setting the standard" to prevent the mussels from getting into the lake.

So no more quick entry. On another note, the lake has come up alot. The main launch ramp is in use again. I always use the Coyote ramp though.
Beautiful day, 82 degrees and total glass. Plus my boat ran whatever the speed limit is on the lake and never exceeded it. Its true, I wrote it on the internet.... :D:D
Could you please speak a little closer to the microphone!!!:D:D

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
I haven't been to Casitas in probably 25 years. A big group of us are going up on March 29 for the Kids fishing derby. I plan on bringing the boat even though you can't touch the water. Sound like a blast huh...

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
I've never been to that lake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts