Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Impeachment!
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the best type of caulking to use around the transom adapter/transom plates?

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
silicone, i just use whatever color matches the t/a adapter. if its black, i use black silicone, etc etc. tape off the transom before putting the ta adapter on, so when you make the seal, you can pull the tape off and have a nice clean line of silicone, makes it look like you know wtf you're doin;):D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
silicone, i just use whatever color matches the t/a adapter. if its black, i use black silicone, etc etc. tape off the transom before putting the ta adapter on, so when you make the seal, you can pull the tape off and have a nice clean line of silicone, makes it look like you know wtf you're doin;):D
Cool idea on the tape. I always just used silicone and took my time. Im gonna use that tape method from now on. :)devil

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
tape trick works nice on the bowl to t.a. adapter as well:)bulb

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Transom adapter needs no silicone as long as it sits flat on the transom. Coat the gasket with some grease and install. Very easy to remove and does not leak a drop. Try it!

·
310 Posts
Transom adapter needs no silicone as long as it sits flat on the transom. Coat the gasket with some grease and install. Very easy to remove and does not leak a drop. Try it!
That's the same thing I do with my valve covers, I use silicone to seal the gasket to the valve cover then use grease to seal the gasket to the head so I can remove/replace them easily/cleanly.

·
Impeachment!
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should have been a bit more specific. My pump is set back and rather than a transom adapter the boat has a flat transom plate. Outside the boat around the suction piece and intake there's a bead of some kinda silicone caulking. It's all stuck really good still, with the exception of the area below the intake. Started out as a very minor leak and has progressed to be a big leak. I've got the affected area cut out, just need to caulk it back in. The area is below the water line.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I use Sika fuel and oil resistant caulking that I swiped from my fueling contractor.

With silicone, there is a nice way to lay down a clean bead by aplying with the gun where you need it and prior to wipng, spray the silicon and surrounding area with windex then wipe with your finger. Clean your finger often with a paper towel. The windex does not allow the silicone to stick to the surrounding areas and leaves a clean professional looking bead.

I also use Ultra black for its fuel and oil resistance.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I use 3M marine grade below the waterline caulk, its paintable when dry (takes two days) and lasts forever, probably literally.

Here is another little trick, when using silicone or caulking, go grab an ice cube and ice up your finger before "dressing" the joint, the cold will buy you some time and it won't stick to your fingers. I have used the Windex trick too, works killer...

·
Registered
344 Posts
I should have been a bit more specific. My pump is set back and rather than a transom adapter the boat has a flat transom plate. Outside the boat around the suction piece and intake there's a bead of some kinda silicone caulking. It's all stuck really good still, with the exception of the area below the intake. Started out as a very minor leak and has progressed to be a big leak. I've got the affected area cut out, just need to caulk it back in. The area is below the water line.
I have the same problem.. I use 100% silicone but the area under the intake has to be resealed every year I guess the oil eats at the silicone about 3/4 of the way through the year you can see the silicone turning colors then it starts to leak a little. I'm going to try and find one gas/oil resitant. Alot of people swear by the 3M stuff but i hear it's next to impossible to remove the cover after it cures.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have the same problem.. I use 100% silicone but the area under the intake has to be resealed every year I guess the oil eats at the silicone about 3/4 of the way through the year you can see the silicone turning colors then it starts to leak a little. I'm going to try and find one gas/oil resitant. Alot of people swear by the 3M stuff but i hear it's next to impossible to remove the cover after it cures.
Use RTV. It is made for gaskets.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts