Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Break Out Another Thousnd
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I learned that I need to put some stronger cav plate springs in my boat. Any idea as to how much spring I should be using? Lbs of pull? What are you fellas using? Part #'s maybe?
Thanx.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
So I learned that I need to put some stronger cav plate springs in my boat. Any idea as to how much spring I should be using? Lbs of pull? What are you fellas using? Part #'s maybe?
Thanx.
Just wondering how you learned this?? When I first bought Cole, Wayne Mettler use to harass me about my garage door opener springs. They were REALLY stiff. I finally asked him to replace them and he went with smaller springs with less tension. He said that todays boats don't pull the plates down as much and it wasn't necessary.. Is this true, I have no idea but I can tell you that I don't believe mine are getting sucked down.. I know some people like them really stiff, this should be interesting!!!

·
Antique Member
906 Posts
Springs

Thanx.

Smash, I just happen to have two sets of chrome springs and the rod clamps on the shelf. Believe it of not, one set is out of the Hondo, with a blue anodized rod clamp and one set is out of the Cole with a gold anodized rod clamp.

Tighten the springs until your seat creaks when you push the pedal, then adjust them another 2". (Just kidding)

MAKE SURE you have an up stop collar on that push-pull rod-that one almost killed me back in 85'!!
PM me your address if you want to try this set-they worked for me.
Denis:D

·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PM sent. Got any photos of the up stop collar set up? As of now it has only a down pedal, with an adjustable screw as a stop. I can see how that may not be enough if this boat ever goes any faster.

·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wondering how you learned this?? When I first bought Cole, Wayne Mettler use to harass me about my garage door opener springs. They were REALLY stiff. I finally asked him to replace them and he went with smaller springs with less tension. He said that todays boats don't pull the plates down as much and it wasn't necessary.. Is this true, I have no idea but I can tell you that I don't believe mine are getting sucked down.. I know some people like them really stiff, this should be interesting!!!
Had several folks feel the pedal while we were tinkering with it Mem Day and many pointed out how dangerous the weakness of the current springs could be. Like you, I don't think my plates are getting sucked down, but apparently that can happen all of a sudden - at speed. Obviously not a good scenario. Thought it easier to beef up the springs than rebuild a crashed boat. :D

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Quit messin' with that hull and put that motor in the Kurtis.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Had several folks feel the pedal while we were tinkering with it Mem Day and many pointed out how dangerous the weakness of the current springs could be. Like you, I don't think my plates are getting sucked down, but apparently that can happen all of a sudden - at speed. Obviously not a good scenario. Thought it easier to beef up the springs than rebuild a crashed boat. :D
Very true!!! I've actually made them stiffer lately. May add some more.. I was just curious..

·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quit messin' with that hull and put that motor in the Kurtis.
Gonna start on it around October. Gotta make room in da shop. Now's the time to play with the boat that runs (sort-of). :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a sanger "family ski". It has one spring prolly 18" around the rod, all stellings, is that enough? Makes my leg ache after a while. Dont race it, just a stab now and then.

·
Antique Member
906 Posts
Springs

Smash, Just got home from the Vet's with dogs, so too late to get you out the springs today, but they will go out tomorrow. You should have them on Friday-no hurry to get them back, I don't use them anymore. I cannot forward a picture of an up plate stop collar, as that is built into my hydraulic system and not necessary. I think that I have a bunch of 1/2" SS two piece collars on the shelf. I will throw one in if I have it. Best place to start, is put your plates straight out (flush with the bottom of the boat) and then place the collar forward of a guide/spring bracket so that the cav plate rod cannot go back any further. Run the boat and if it feels like it is glued in, move the collar forward about 1/4" and drive the boat again, repeating the process until it becomes loose to the point where you want it to ride. Caution with this is prudent!! Slowly sneaking up on this is the safest way to go-learn the feel of the boat first.
Once you get this set, run the boat in smooth water. If the springs pull the cav plate rod up against the collar at high speed, then you have enough spring pressure. If not,tension the springs tighter until it does go up firmly against the collar. This should get you started. The plates generally will not "suck in" in choppy or rough water. I would have to see the plate positioning and check out your arm lengths before I could say any more.
Good luck, Denis:p

·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10-4. Thanks Denis. I'll see if I can set that up & go with it.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I am going to comment on this.....use a long spring! Here is the reason! You can put the short garage door spring in and not be able to finish the push cuz you didnt go to the gym that day!
Please remember whan a long spring is used and you need a come-along to bring it to "static" pressure, that is the position where the plates want to suck down and it shouldn't be too much more effort to down pedal the plates the rest of the way...another way of putting hypothetically it is you dont want to go from 10 lbs to 300lbs in a pedal swing...you want it to go from 200lbs to 275lbs due to the fact the plates suck down when they are on the stop at the static point.
Just my .02 cents

·
Antique Member
906 Posts
Light weight Smash

I am going to comment on this.....use a long spring! Here is the reason! You can put the short garage door spring in and not be able to finish the push cuz you didnt go to the gym that day!
Please remember whan a long spring is used and you need a come-along to bring it to "static" pressure, that is the position where the plates want to suck down and it shouldn't be too much more effort to down pedal the plates the rest of the way...another way of putting hypothetically it is you dont want to go from 10 lbs to 300lbs in a pedal swing...you want it to go from 200lbs to 275lbs due to the fact the plates suck down when they are on the stop at the static point.
Just my .02 cents
You are kind of a skinney dude Smash. Was that your right or left leg that got mangled last year-I really hope it was the right??!! When I wasn't as old and fat, I used to tow my step son around town with my ten speed and a ski rope while he was on roller skates to build up my skiing legs. Worked well. Watched a guy at Ming snap off his seat while pushing the pedal and tumble out of the boat-his parachute worked great!! My recommendation, Wheaties every morning before you drive. UPS picked up your package today-good luck setting everything up.
Denis

·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are kind of a skinney dude Smash. /QUOTE]
I can kick holes through brick walls with no problem. Used to race bicycles/triathlon stuff.

·
Antique Member
906 Posts
You are kind of a skinney dude Smash. /QUOTE]
I can kick holes through brick walls with no problem. Used to race bicycles/triathlon stuff.
KEY word here is "used to". I used to be young and studly too, unfortunately, now I am just studly. :D
Did your parts arrive. I traced UPS and it said "out for delivery today"?
Denis

·
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Damn. Forgot about that 'used to' clause. I had convinced myself that I was getting younger & better looking by the day. :D

I received the parts last night & will put them in this evening. Thanks Denis! You da man!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts